Canister to sump

Travy

• SRC Member

Hey guys/gals,

Thinking of swithing my filtration system from a canister (present) to a sump. :)

In terms of maintaining water quality which i believed that the sump may be able

to do better. :erm:

WIll there be any complications i will come across? :ph34r:

Btw i am having a 2ft X 1ft X1ft tank. :thanks:

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member
Hey guys/gals,

Thinking of swithing my filtration system from a canister (present) to a sump. :)

In terms of maintaining water quality which i believed that the sump may be able

to do better. :erm:

WIll there be any complications i will come across? :ph34r:

Btw i am having a 2ft X 1ft X1ft tank. :thanks:

hmmm u got a big problem, as i think there is hardly any sump which is so small... yr tank to be true dun need a sump...

maybe if u dun mind a sump bigger than yr display tank :P:P

GIve up liao!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem. I am also using a 2X1X1 tank and made the switch to a sump about a year ago. The only trouble I had was finding the overflow box (I did not know about I-Box at that time). Ended up DIY my own overflow box.

By the way, my sump is a 1.5X1X1. It's a Five Plan tank that I put partitions in. No big deal.

The advantage of a sump is so much that I wondered why I did not do it earlier!

It would be best if you can get your tank drilled for the drain to the sump. Then don't have to worry about syphon break. If not, get the I-Box.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be, be one.

Marcus Aurelius

hmmm u got a big problem, as i think there is hardly any sump which is so small... yr tank to be true dun need a sump...

my so called sump is 1 x 1 x 1ft and i run a cannister as well. :erm:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

HAHA! I think my display tank almost got no space for my YT and

powder brown. :P

Maybe if i get a sump i will move my blue damsel there.... HAHA!

Keep chasing my other fishes... :angry:

My Tank

• SRC Member

BTW, IF i were to change to a sump...

I still need to find someways to cycle it too yeah? :look:

Wonder if adding the filter medium from my canister will help to

speed things up... :erm:

My Tank

• SRC Member

Hi!

Depends what you put in your sump. if its dead stuff you can hook it on straight away.

I used live sand from the beach for a DSB in the sump and did run it in closed loop for a week to test parameters first and make sure there was no high amonia or nitrite.

Bro, I don't want to be a party pooper, but tangs need big tanks... there are many nice fish that require smaller volumes.

• SRC Member
Hi!

Depends what you put in your sump. if its dead stuff you can hook it on straight away.

I used live sand from the beach for a DSB in the sump and did run it in closed loop for a week to test parameters first and make sure there was no high amonia or nitrite.

Bro, I don't want to be a party pooper, but tangs need big tanks... there are many nice fish that require smaller volumes.

Hey domino,

Sand from the beach? Woah... scary leh... what if u collected some oil spill residue or something. :shock:

Am thinking of switching to a customed 3ft tank in about a year or so, The present 2 feeter is for me to gain experiences to the hobby. ;)

Maybe i should hope back my financial resources till then... But wont hurt to find out more now yeah? :D

Powder brown dont have yet, but hav a YT. Ok lah, one of the biggest of the 5 small fishes in my tank. :rolleyes:

:off:

Greedy fellow... eats everything. Pieces of shrimp, pellets, dried bloodworms my macro algae... <_< , the onlything it wouldnt touch is BBS... maybe too small la cant see. Eyes so big also no use. HAHA!!! :lol::lol::lol:

My Tank

• SRC Member
Me run both. Used to be have only canister than add on sump. Why not both, if one failed u still have another.

Yah true hor... make sense... :erm:

Hmm... decisions decision....

How i wish the ca Increase my NS pay... :P:evil:

i know i know./... :off: again....

My Tank

• SRC Member

Even u sell away your cansister , you will not get 50%. So better run in as chemical filter. Sump are cheap now a day. If you need pump for your sump, let me know I will give you one of my pump FREE.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Even u sell away your cansister , you will not get 50%. So better run in as chemical filter. Sump are cheap now a day. If you need pump for your sump, let me know I will give you one of my pump FREE.

HEY! thanks man!

Thinkin of getting an i box and sump. Save me the trouble of getting My tank emptied and drilled... <_<

Anyone has it? Roughly how much will it be if lets say... a 1ft X 1.5 X 1 sump? :peace:

My Tank

• SRC Member
Hey domino,

Sand from the beach? Woah... scary leh... what if u collected some oil spill residue or something. 

Yeah, I collected the sand on a "clean" beach near Port Dickson (I live in KL). Got my GF who has a very good nose :P to smell it for oil residues... she said it was ok... It was full of little clams, so I guess it was quite healthy too. Rand it as DBS for 2 weeks in closed loop to test parameters and then hooked it up.

DIYed my overflow:

DIY overflow

Works fine, but needs a bigger diameter <_<

• SRC Member

HEY! thanks man!

Thinkin of getting an i box and sump. Save me the trouble of getting My tank emptied and drilled... <_<

Anyone has it? Roughly how much will it be if lets say... a 1ft X 1.5 X 1 sump? :peace:

Me using iBox as well. I got second hand and paid 80, sump is 30 so altogether 110. Sump 2x1.5x1

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Me using iBox as well. I got second hand and paid 80, sump is 30 so altogether 110. Sump 2x1.5x1

Hmmm.. Quite cheap.

Planning to sell it? HAHA! ;):P

My Tank