Microbubbles HeLp

• SRC Member

Just changed my return pump and somehow have lots of micro bubbles in my tank... <_<

Not pleasing to the eye, but more importantly will it harm my SPS??? :huh:

Any suggestions on how to cut down / totally eliminate the bubles altogether.

My sump is fixed, so can't make any modification :pinch: unless get a new one (unlikely so soon :whistle ).

Thanx

• SRC Member

Are the micro bubbles migrating across your sump from the 1st chamber to the last chamber? Normally when you increase the capacity of the return pump, your overflow box will receive more flow causing the water to gush down into your 1st chamber of your sump. If so, you need to install a ball valve at the pipe from your overflow box into the 1st chamber to control the gushing. This will reduce the creation of micro bubbles in the 1st chamber.

Micro bubbles are not actually harmful but you got to beware of them getting trapped below the overhang branches of your SPS. This will smother the localised area of the SPS causing them to STN.

• SRC Member

Microbubbles everywhere... <_<

Already have ball valves installed to control overflow.. set to the bare min already, any slower and my sump might overflow........ :pinch:

Thinking of adding sponge to help catch the "little guys". Wonder if stockings or filter socks will help?? :rolleyes:

Thanks Scarab

Others suggestions pls :peace:

• SRC Member
Already have ball valves installed to control overflow.. set to the bare min already, any slower and my sump might overflow........

I dun understand why your sump would overflow? If you limit the water coming in the sump would be taking in less water. ;) It is more likely that your sump would be dred up by your return pump... :cry:

Thinking of adding sponge to help catch the "little guys". Wonder if stockings or filter socks will help?? 

Yes dude! A sock or sponge would definitely help in getting microbubbles outta the way. :D

Thinking of adding sponge to help catch the "little guys". Wonder if stockings or filter socks will help?? :rolleyes:

yes, it will definitely help. but it oso means more regular maintenance needs to be done. keep a close watch on ur nitrate levels too.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

I dun understand why your sump would overflow? If you limit the water coming in the sump would be taking in less water. ;) It is more likely that your sump would be dred up by your return pump... :cry:

Ops.. yup i mean the main tank. My tank only has 2 X 30, with durso.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Will be trying on the socks tonight. My fingers are crossed :look::look:

Any other suggestions?? :peace:

• SRC Member

Are you using the MD55 as your return pump? Your sump may be a little too small to handle the large volume of water passing thru - that's causing all the bubbles.

Try using an MD40 or Eheim 1262. The micro bubbles should lessen.

• SRC Member
Are you using the MD55 as your return pump? Your sump may be a little too small to handle the large volume of water passing thru - that's causing all the bubbles.

Yup, just upgraded to MD55 :lol: more flow for my precious

Try using an MD40 or Eheim 1262. The micro bubbles should lessen.

Er.. no $$ for MD40 after i recent spree, and i upgraded from 1262 :blink:

if the bubbles are moving from chamber to chamber, use wool to trap them...

Used stockings on my overflow into sump, reduced alot of bubbles, BUT... stil a little gets through...

Do not wish to use filter wool as need to wash regularly.. and I'm not home cos in NS now :nc::nc:

Upgrading my sump will be down the road.. but a long long way down :ph34r:

Will try out more ways to cut the bubbles :peace:

Thank you fellow reefers :thanks:

• SRC Member

Adjusted the water level for my durso, and further reduced the microbubbles :lol:

The problem he getting now is not due to the "waterfall' effects but rather the microbubbles get passed from the 1st chamber all the way to the last chamber.

This is caused by too much flow for the small sump to handle

You the nail on the head :idea:

MD55 on a 2 X 2 X 2 with a 12 X 20 X 16 sump :whistle:whistle

Thank you all for all the valuable and usable and workable tips :idea: