need opinion and advise on 2 x tunze 6060

untouchables

• SRC Member

my tank is 3x2x2.5 (H) with 6" DSB and lots of LR. SPS is over the entire tank cos i got 2 x 250W MH on it.

i have a tunze 6060 and 2 other ph to generate water movement but still feel insufficient at some areas > got algae on some sps near the front centre of tank, at mid level height! other sps are doing nice, with the polyps swaying left and right, which is kinda ideal.

thinking of getting another tunze 6060 but i have heard from some bros that 2 units will be too strong. some say bounce off rocks, glass, etc but i did try that and was still strong cos my sps is everywhere and there is not much space to bounce it off.

im thinking of putting a 2nd tunze 6060 to blow along the lenght of the tank, right at the front glass to create water movement but not hitting any sps at all. will this create sufficient flow or too strong a flow?

and pls, dun ask me to rescape cos it is too much work and i like my current scape :D

advise or fr experience?

thanks!

Do you have a photo of your rock scape? Best to take from top view.

I suggest having 3 or even 4 6060 one at each corner and all aiming towards the center of the tank.

In this way the water movement are mostly downwards.

If your sandbed have problem due to this then hang the tunze higher up.

I've 3 6100 at 3 corners and red dragon 12,000 l/h (8000 l/h after head lost) at another corner.

Flow is good and so far never spotted any blind spots. Maybe inside the rock scaping got blind spot but I guess so far good for my SPS which is spread around the tank.

• SRC Member
Do you have a photo of your rock scape? Best to take from top view.

I suggest having 3 or even 4 6060 one at each corner and all aiming towards the center of the tank.

In this way the water movement are mostly downwards.

If your sandbed have problem due to this then hang the tunze higher up.

I've 3 6100 at 3 corners and red dragon 12,000 l/h (8000 l/h after head lost) at another corner.

Flow is good and so far never spotted any blind spots. Maybe inside the rock scaping got blind spot but I guess so far good for my SPS which is spread around the tank.

weileong, no pics cos digicam cable missing... cannot upload to computer. a brief description of my scape...

front view: from the front glass... 3-6" of sandbed. almost vertical up for 6" then flat 6" gentle slope at 30 degree and steep slope (60 angle) towards the back of tank. something like that... and from the middle of tank scape slopes upwards to the side of tank so what you get is like a crater formed by LR.

the sps are doing ok except for those at the flat 6" cos they are quite low in the tank and the sides are blocked by the LR at the side glass. i got one 1000l/h ph blowing through the LR from behind the tank but flow is insufficient cos i need to break the direct flow... without breaking the flow, it is too strong... causing tissue blown off.

i saw someone who got 2 6060 from 2 sides of tank and the current is quite strong, with a sandstorm and this is in a 4 footer. i wont have much sandstorm cos my tank is mainly LR except of the front but wont 2 hitting each other create too strong a water movement for a 3 footer?

• SRC Member

i intend to try it out this weekend but i want to sell an option to interested reefer. anyone interested to buy over a tunze 6060 in the event that my tank cannot take 2 units?

option goes like this...

i buy a brand new tunze 6060 with euro bracing holder from a lfs in lavender (got 6 months warranty from them) for $195 (or was it $190?) + $15.

i test it out for 5 days. if flow too strong, i will sell to you at $195 and delivered to ur home so u save $15 on holder and transportation. i expect day 1 is spent collecting the tunze, day 2 is placing, day 3 is adjusting, day 4 is final decision on flow, day 5 is return so the tunze is actually run for 3 days max!

i wont consider this as a used unit sale cos rest assured, im not selling becos it was used, old or spoilt.

• SRC Member
Not so bad, 6060 only lei.

ard 1" I still believe :P

bro, the wave is 0.5-1" but the splash... hit my mh glass which is around 8" fr water surface (thats what i meant).

now i added a 1500l/h ph to blow behind the rock scape cos these areas tend to be dead areas and now i got low flow coming out of my scape :D

added one sicce extrema with rainbar to take care of the lower level sps and lps.

my next tank... 4 x 6060! onli if i strike 4D!