More then 1 blue tang in the same tank?

Hi, this is my 1st post since i registered a few months ago. :rolleyes: And I need some help from u guys here...So here's da question...I already hav a 2.5 inch blue(hippo) tang in my 3 by 2 by 2 ft tank. Can I add another 1 or 2 blue(hippo) tangs into da tank? ;) Cause from da information i read here, some people state that its not safe to add more then 1 species of da same tang in 1 tank. Hope U will giv me some advice. :thanks:

• SRC Member

what everyone is saying is juz repeating the best practise, which sometimes we dun necessarily wants to follow if we can afford to take the risk.

my 3x2x2 tank used to have:

1 x sailfin tang

1 x yellow tang

3 x purple tangs

1 x cow tang

1 x blue tang

all living in harmony. now onli left 2 x purple tangs due to bioload reduction exercise.

if u notice, i did not put tangs like powder blue, etc. tangs of this shape are very agressive (from my personal experience) and if u really want to keep one of this, put it in last and make sure it is not the biggest tang. oso, juz keep ONE!

which is why i now have an AT onli with my 2 purple tangs.

any other combination... i have been there, done it and cried over it. if u got cash to throw, go buy an achilles, a gold rim and a powder blue and put in together. hahaha see them chase after each other non stop until all 3 died of stress!

• SRC Member

blue tangs are the friendliest tangs i've encountered.

i have a naso tang as well... 3 of them are very friendly... stay in the same hiding place. my wife tell me that, they are good friends. everywhere they swim, must swim together.

blue tang has been with me for 8mths now. 1st tang resident.

Nice... :) And i thought tangs of da same genus can't be kept together. ;) Mayb its ur "mirror" that diverts da fishes attention...hmm... :ph34r:

Btw, have u ever tried keeping more then 1 blue tang in da same tank? Cause i worry that if i add another blue tang inside my tank it will fight.

Btw, my blue tang is abt 2.5inch(does size matter?)

Thanks for sharing. :)

• SRC Member

a friend of mine have 2 blue tangs in his tank. 5-6".

the bigger one bullied the smaller blue tang. He took him out and put it in the quarantine tank for 2 weeks.

put him in the main tank again. for few days he was ok, then became a bully again.

This time round, my friend put him in the quarantine tank for a longer period.

at last, peace. (for how long... not sure).