Which Skimmer will you buy?

dfstan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
but when come to producing the amount of bubble and able to take high bio load... noone can compare to Beckett expect the king which I dont think anything can win for now... unless another break through in technology...

Agreed :P The main drawback is the electricity consumption.... if don't mind the high electricity consumption.. beckett is the way to go

• SRC Member

well just look at your return pump and chiller pump.. i believe both add together already near 100W or more then that..

so running another 100W for skimmer is nothing...

infact of all equipments the chiller is the one we should look into and try to reduce as they r the one uses the highest...

if u cal 100W 24/7 a month it wont cost that very much only 10++ only..

Becketts are like American muscle cars. strong. brute force. ruthless aggression.

Turboflotors/H&S/Euro Reef/Schruans/etc are like continental cars. powerful, classy, and elegant.

I'll rather go with the latter. cheaper in terms of consumption for electricity, and just as ruthless in skimming out DOCs, if not better.

the other reason why I am such a huge fan about the Aquamedic Turboflotor is because I read somewhere *can't remember where. in German if I remember correctly* documenting how the Turboflotor actually beat the pants down the largest Deltec and a Twin Beckett.

(=

• SRC Member
Becketts are like American muscle cars. strong. brute force. ruthless aggression.

Turboflotors/H&S/Euro Reef/Schruans/etc are like continental cars. powerful, classy, and elegant.

I'll rather go with the latter. cheaper in terms of consumption for electricity, and just as ruthless in skimming out DOCs, if not better.

the other reason why I am such a huge fan about the Aquamedic Turboflotor is because I read somewhere *can't remember where. in German if I remember correctly* documenting how the Turboflotor actually beat the pants down the largest Deltec and a Twin Beckett.

(=

I don't think its the turboflotor multi SL... should be those shorty versions.. they are really good..

can't remember

those super jumbo sized ones. beat the pants out of the Deltec with four to six Eheim pumps and a twin beckett.

then again, it may be subjective.

even then, I'll still stick to Aquamedic for obvious cost saving reasons. since both are just as effective, its sensible to stick to the cheaper alternative, right? (=

• SRC Member

Truth.. I am going to tee OR6500 to ev-240 and aqua medic phosphate filter and carbon filter. If not, will waste electrical >pump for skimmer alone.

Agreed with my tankmaker that aqua-c and Becketts are like American muscle cars. strong. brute force too. they need strong, powerful pump to work. Thus, using stronger pump for these type of skimmers can further' improve the performance. However,>> don't need to worry about the mechancial parts.

i am a big fan > aqua medic. Personally, i think aqua c ev-240, turboflotor-1000 can support and serve 3ft to 6ft sps tank > very well. And if these skimmers > support by Nitratreductor 1000 and berlin system. > can't go wrong!

Thus i see no reason to spend extra $$ for beckett.

Thus these skimmers have their adv and disadv etc. Well > bubble king (best choice) which is very prowerful and consume little energy etc < due to red dragon. But the price is very high...

But i do advice people who plan to get ev-120.. >>try to get ev-180 <at least or even better ev-240. Save $$ from upgrade.

• SRC Member
well just look at your return pump and chiller pump.. i believe both add together already near 100W or more then that..

so running another 100W for skimmer is nothing...

infact of all equipments the chiller is the one we should look into and try to reduce as they r the one uses the highest...

if u cal 100W 24/7 a month it wont cost that very much only 10++ only..

I find it weird that you are so vigorously defending and promoting the use of beckett. We are just stating a fact that a beckett requires more electricity to run. And of course, they produce very good skimmate... better than needlewheel for sure. Running 100+W for 24/7 may be nothing for someone who have better finiancial background and their month electricity bill for their tank may come up to a few hundred dollars. For my tank alone, my electricity bill alone is only about $40. $10+ a month more is a 25% increase.... quite a lot in my opinion.

Every skimmer has their own strengths and weaknesses... just that beckett's weakness lies in its electricity consumption which reefer must take note of before making any decisions.

• SRC Member

I find it weird that you are so vigorously defending and promoting the use of beckett. We are just stating a fact that a beckett requires more electricity to run. And of course, they produce very good skimmate... better than needlewheel for sure. Running 100+W for 24/7 may be nothing for someone who have better finiancial background and their month electricity bill for their tank may come up to a few hundred dollars. For my tank alone, my electricity bill alone is only about $40. $10+ a month more is a 25% increase.... quite a lot in my opinion.

Every skimmer has their own strengths and weaknesses... just that beckett's weakness lies in its electricity consumption which reefer must take note of before making any decisions.

well to highlight me not vigorously defending and promoting the use of beckett. I'm just stating what I'm thinking..

since we r all asking which skimmer is better of coz I will say beckett but everyone know their down side is high elect.. but I'm just want to also highlight that using 100++W is not what every think that is make we all think really that ex...

cause if u sit down and cal each equipment elect useage.. u will find 100++w is nothing compare to chiller...

cause I see so many ppls complain about using beckett because of high elect.. but how come not body complain about their chiller high watt.. where so many here r setting their temp to 26 which I believe is the link to your high elect bill..

anyway I'm just stating my point of view... it's up to one to see the light of it.. after all if u compare the price to get a DIY beckett and other skimmer they u not that far apart and yet performance is so far apart... it just dont seem logical to me..

Lastly I'm not a beckett user nor a support nor maker nor promoter... and even my new skimmer which is on the shippment is not even a beckett.

And like I say our high bill is due to chiller usage and if I tell u, my chiller has never been running for weeks or even month now. I dont think alot will believe it.. and for your info my tank temp is at 27.

hope I make myself clear.. if anything that offend u ppls.. I'm sorry about it. ;)

well..but at least sengkang reefers have some of cool cool skimmers around...er...you stay sengkang right?

good news spread fast....congrats.... ;)

your side is german high tech gadgets....think..bubblebubble ...red mystical creature ...

my side is american muscle with japanese technology.....think...beckett.....iwakis....hehehe

haiyo me making a secret how come still got ppls know...

Alfaromeo of coz I got the bigger one.. 300... 250 only suit those 4ft tank or 6ft without heavy bio load..

i didn't say anything...... :blink:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

I used a Euro before and now using a H & S. There are a few distinct difference.

Firstly, the ER skimmer behaviour is constant not like H & S - sometimes goes crazy like doing top up of fresh water.. as the salinity deviate slightly... the skimming suddenly becomes haywire .... but this didn't happen on ER ..- not sure whether others experience it.

Secondly, the H & S is more trouble-some - got to tune correctly otherwise you skim only tea color but this is a plus point in a sense that ER cannot be tune so easily so if you are not getting enough skimmate then you have to do some kind of extension to the raiser tubing so that you get more skimmate.

Thirdly, H & S more maintenance free becasue ER need to clear the salts in the venturi tube maybe like once in a week otherwise the performance drop whereas H & S do not have this problem.

Last by not least, I find the quality coming out from a ER much more thicker compared to a H & S - though I get dark skimmate but the skimmate from a ER is like a beckett - really thick and dry.

My view might be subjective as I use a ES6-1 model ((400 lit )and now a H & S (850lit model)

This are some of my personal encounter - it is always good to listen to others' xperience as this is an expensive hobby.

My 2 cents :rolleyes:

Agree!!! euro- reef definately one of the best skimmer with good review(RC)

but nobody can deny the fact that Euro Reef looks much nicer than H&S. :P

Yeah definately...... i definately love those giant collection cups... But thier footprint is just too big.... love to have one but can't fit into sump..... My uncle use H & S and i can say its quite good but maybe its just personal preference ;););)