Which Skimmer will you buy?

dfstan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
hmm.. the space i have for the skimmer is 10" x 10". afraid too small for H&S, which seems to be rectangular in size.

Alternatively go for the Schuran - another good skimmer, the smallest model sure can fit your profile

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
So many good comments about H&S....I regret I sold mine. :) :)

H&S has high resale value as i understood.....

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

I used a Euro before and now using a H & S. There are a few distinct difference.

Firstly, the ER skimmer behaviour is constant not like H & S - sometimes goes crazy like doing top up of fresh water.. as the salinity deviate slightly... the skimming suddenly becomes haywire .... but this didn't happen on ER ..- not sure whether others experience it.

Secondly, the H & S is more trouble-some - got to tune correctly otherwise you skim only tea color but this is a plus point in a sense that ER cannot be tune so easily so if you are not getting enough skimmate then you have to do some kind of extension to the raiser tubing so that you get more skimmate.

Thirdly, H & S more maintenance free becasue ER need to clear the salts in the venturi tube maybe like once in a week otherwise the performance drop whereas H & S do not have this problem.

Last by not least, I find the quality coming out from a ER much more thicker compared to a H & S - though I get dark skimmate but the skimmate from a ER is like a beckett - really thick and dry.

My view might be subjective as I use a ES6-1 model ((400 lit )and now a H & S (850lit model)

This are some of my personal encounter - it is always good to listen to others' xperience as this is an expensive hobby.

My 2 cents :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Go for Aqua medic Turboflotor skimmer!!

Needle Wheel technology as the whole Aqua Medic Turboflotor skimmer family. The Needle Wheel rotates at 3.600 rpm in the pump housing, the air/water mixture is heavily agitated and the air bubbles are cut into micro bubbles for optimum skimming efficiency. The Needle Wheel pump draws water directly from the skimmer, mixes it with air and drives the mixture back into the skimmer.

post-17-1095501114.jpg

Piglet

Now you are talking, a great skimmer and in the multi version, can be used as hang on. I had 2, rally pulled out the bad stuff. Now i have 5000 baby, cant say i collect much liquid, but you have to see the inside of the cup after 1 week. Its the driest skimmer i have ever come across

• SRC Member

To get dry skimmate, adjust the flow output of the water - this will lower the water level to get drier foam.

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Beckett... I seen it and now I'm saving for 1 ... even Boss AT's tank uses Beckett... what more can I say...

I used to want to get EV240... but after comparing the price, size and skimmate it produce... nothing beats it!

I intending to go for Reef Maniacs Beckett one day... :angel:

• SRC Member

if u measure by cost of skimmer and assuming thru the 2nd hand market, the choice is the HnS...

if u measure by pump cost and electrical bills, the choice is the HnS...(smallest skimmer runs on a 18W aquabee)

and so i can only deduce the best choice is HnS. ;)

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

if u measure by cost of skimmer and assuming thru the 2nd hand market, the choice is the HnS...

if u measure by pump cost and electrical bills, the choice is the HnS...(smallest skimmer runs on a 18W aquabee)

and so i can only deduce the best choice is HnS. ;)

i agree, the power consumption of only 18W and yet delivering 2000l of water to my skimmer, really packs a punch.

btw, the AM Multi SL oso uses a 18W aquabee pump too. performance is as good or even better than H&S.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png