Which Skimmer will you buy?

dfstan

• SRC Member

hi all

I'm thinking to upgrade my skimmer for my 3 ft tank. I prefer over-skim rather than under-skim. Thus, I'm looking for a skimeer capacity for 4ft tank and the following skimmer are what I'm considering. Kindly share your comments, experiences and thoughts...

1. Euro-reef 6-2+

2. H&S

3. Aquac Ev120

or do you have any other skimmer to recommend?

Thanks in advance....

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
hi all

I'm thinking to upgrade my skimmer for my 3 ft tank. I prefer over-skim rather than under-skim. Thus, I'm looking for a skimeer capacity for 4ft tank and the following skimmer are what I'm considering. Kindly share your comments, experiences and thoughts...

1. Euro-reef 6-2+

2. H&S

3. Aquac Ev120

Thanks in advance....

If you're getting the AquaC, better get the biggest tt u can afford. Preferably 1 size up, got a sale of a EV240 somewhere in the buy/sell forum

I'm running a EV180 on a 2ft cube :lol: SPS tank of course. Quite satisfied with it, just make sure yr pump is the correct rated flow

Rule of thumb is go for the biggest so tt you can keep more fish :blink: and no need to upgrade as you increase yr stocking :whistle

Never used a H & S or Euroreef, but read/heard the good reviews

OR Beckett?? :evil:

OR Bubble King Protein Skimmers :yeah:

• SRC Member

HS & Euros are easy to tune. Low energy consumption rate, easy to install, but requires a special pump (needlewheel) that if damaged might be more difficult to service and expensive to replace.

AQCs are harder to tune. Low energy requirements and easy to plumb (out/ in sump). Requires any suitable pump (although a more powerful pump is better)

Becketts hands down most foam (check out the riser tube you will understand) but is a monster in energy. Requires external pump and fast flow rate to be efficient. Requires tuning.

Selecting a skimmer requires inputation of several factors :

Type of live stock

Rate of flow through sump

Size of sump

Energy requirements (can that extension plug hold your becketts, chiller. MHs?)

Its really up to individual, although personally i prefer needlewheel (but am scared to commit due to replacement prospects). H&S is supposedly better than the Euros, but Euros are cheaper. :)

Hope this helps

• SRC Member
hi all

1. Euro-reef 6-2+

2. H&S

3. Aquac Ev120

Thanks in advance....

Just sold my Aquac EV240 due to upgrading.

Excellent skimmer.

EV120 might be just nice for your tank size and again depending on your LS.

Go for bigger unit such as EV240.

• SRC Member

ev-120 is not big enough if u r going to keep fishes and sps. im using it on my 3x2x2.5 tank onli becos the other units cannot fit due to height restrictions.

i prefer those that dun have mechanical parts like aquac or beckett. i believe all these good brands like aquac, h n s, euroreef, diy beckettts, etc are on par so ur consideration should be on space, noise, capital investment, maintenance, parts ,etc. after prioritising them, i ended up with aquac on the top of my shopping list.

cheers!

• SRC Member
replacement needle wheel for the Euro-Reef is less than $50, easily avaliable thru the distributor (if you bought from them with receipt) :P

$50!!! Wow- did not know that it was so expensive.

My other worry with needles will be availability of parts (imagine skimmer breaks down and you need a replacement- 3 months to reach you by sea...man, I will die) and of course keeping the receipt forever.

But still feel that the needlewheels give great foam, for a cheap power requirement. NWs give a sammler bubbles and softer foam, unlike the bigger bubbles from the becketts that go for raw power.

If money no object, my first choice will be nws - bubblekings :)

• SRC Member

anybody know a thread or article that comparing these skimmers? Also, for euroreef, if i decide to upgrade my pump size, is this possible? and how much for a higher pump size?

hmm... i know people swear by H&S, just wondering if euroreef is comparable in terms of performance and power consumption. If anyone who has experienced both H&S and euroreef b4, kindly comments on your findings. Greatly appreciated.

• SRC Member

bubbles king might not be a favourite because of its awesome pricetag...but if u see the display set in eaquanature, u can tell the difference between a H&S, Euroreef, macro and the bubble king...

it produces tremendous amount of bubbles, i would say comparable to a dual beckett skimmer...

anybody know a thread or article that comparing these skimmers? Also, for euroreef, if i decide to upgrade my pump size, is this possible? and how much for a higher pump size?

hmm... i know people swear by H&S, just wondering if euroreef is comparable in terms of performance and power consumption. If anyone who has experienced both H&S and euroreef b4, kindly comments on your findings. Greatly appreciated.

Hmm for me my dream skimmer will always be euro- reef.... a very good skimmer and works the same way as h n s.. just that its body is much broader.... Euro- reef are not so popular here in singapore becuase mst ppl here dun have such space in their sump for that skimmer

aqua- medic gets quite good review too...... beckett is a skimmer that skim out huge quatity but they use pressurated pump thus= to electrical bill increases

• SRC Member

Remember its a Marine Aquarium Hobby and also the size of your tank - i think H&S is the way to go.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread