Wish me luck Please

• SRC Member

After going through fishes gone MIA (by mantis shrimp), suddenly lose of SPS tips (by bicolor blenny), high Ca,

I decided to change all the water in display tank ( 3x1.5x1.5') and half of my sump/refg ( 2x1.5x1' ) and rescape since got to catch the fishes.

With help my lovely home affair minister and take leave from office, I managed to done it winthin 4 hrs.

Put back fishes, see their happy swin, feed than and now @ night I am start wonder, will almost 100% water change effect my stocks ?

I have

a few colonies of SPS, a few frags, mushrooms, elephant ear, zoo, blue sponge, closed brain, plate and small anemone.

Live Stock

YT, PBT, 2xClown, 3xDasmel, Sand Sniffer, 2xFire Shrimp, Fire Gobby, forget it's a gobby also but can't recall the name.

PH 8.3 ( up from 8.2 old water )

SG 1.024

NO2 0

NO3 5 ( It's new water and still exist , could that be tap water, I used tap water and didn't age it cause no time ).

PO4 0.1 (After MH 250w on for 6 hrs )

Ca 500

Kh 6.4 (Kinda Low ha)

All test kits are Saliferst, except PH, ofcourse SG, NO2 (Azoo), Ca (Sera).

So guy do u think they will able to greet me good morning tomorrow ?

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Salt - Ocean Fish ( Brand from Italy, since day 1 I used it so no choice, should had changed yesterday har )

Tap Water ( Hougang )

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

Don't think will have much effect. I do hope you remembered to add anti-chlorine esp when it involves such a large amount of water. If you forgot to add anti-chlorine things sound bad..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

FuEl, tell me about it , I forgot to add anti-chlorine :(

Make sure b4 u sleep , to wish me luck :P

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
FuEl, tell me about it , I forgot to add anti-chlorine :(

Make sure b4 u sleep , to wish me luck :P

You forgot to add anti-chlorine? :ph34r:

Fish and softies should be OK.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Wah bro, I think you need more than luck to pull you through.

First of all Chloramine and Chlorine will attack the gill of your fishes causing the gills to be less and less ineffecient and thus the fishes will die a slow death through suufocation. :evil: Although Chlorine will loose it effect after reacting with air for a period of time, Chloramine will not, thus we have treat our water before adding into our tank.

Secondly, I still feel that it is not adviseable to change 100% water. This + your shifting of your rockworks will sometimes cause a 2nd cycling which will in create amonia & nitrate spikes which will be detrimental to your LS. :(

Thirdly, 100% change will also stress your LS. With your LS already not doing well, 100% water change will stressed them further. :(

Anyway, since you have already done so, I truly hope that all will be well.

Good luck, :angel:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Thank lot of all your supportive. Really appreciate. All of your points are valid and acceptable :D. But u know theory is theory and sometime no choice have to do mean have to do.

Didn't want to do almost 100% water change + shifting rock, however I didn't have choice , do it or let all SPS tips by nipping bicolor blenny.

Well, I slept through the night without nightmare and this morning wake up ( anyway took leave today too incase something goes wrong ), and saw all my fish and corals doing same as b4 or some are better ( I guess no more high Ca and bit higher Kh ).

SPS don't know yet, however, one colony changed color from brown to dark green with more tips comming out , so I believe it's not RTN nor STN since more tips come out.

No light time yet so SPS will access later.

However, really appreciate your kindesss. It's not time to arrow however to let me go through :P

Cheers

Ocean Gump

Good to hear that all is well. :D

:peace:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

Bro u said

"Chlorine will loose it effect after reacting with air for a period of time"

I pour salt to small cup, and add bit of water to melt down. Than pour into big basket and use tap water preasure to blow up lot lot of bubble ( by closing half of the pipe so water preasure is higher ) and good circulation too.

Do u think this help bit ?

Me bad with Chemistry lar, failed my test when doing high school. (Every single time )

Ocean Gump

Actually the killer is the Chloramine. In the 70s our government only add Chlorine thus we can just aerate the water overnight and it will be safe for fishes.

But nowadays, they add Chloramine. Thus we still have to treat the water before mixing or adding into our tank.

The reason why we add Chlorine or Chloramine is to kill germs so dun blame PUB ok.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

No blame lar they said safe to drink, they didn't say "REEF SAFE".

Would appreciate if you could explain more so we could more benefit. What is that and good , bad why to reef.

How to prevent.

What is the sign of that.

So on.

Tks in advance

Ocean Gump

Well, Chlorine and Chloramine are added into water to kill germs thus making it palatable to us humans.

However, Chlorine & Chloramine has some caustic effects of the gills of fishes which render them useless / degrade after a period of time. Which means that the fishes that are exposed to Chlorine or Chloramine will not be able to breath and thus suffocate. And because the effects are not immediate, our poor fishes will "slowly" suffocate to death!

The only way to prevent this is to nutralize or remove Chlorine & Chloramine. There severals ways:

1. Use Chlorine & Chloramine Remover (Cheapest)

2. Use RO / DI water (Ex)

3. Use Specialized Tap Water Filters (Not so Ex as RO / DI)

:angel: Hope this help. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member

All my SPS tips open nicely under my back up 60W PL.

Bad thing happen today, when I turned on MH, no light. It's only 4 months old and I was shock. When and Why ?

Well no choice seem like I got to buy new bulb.

Shoud I stay with SE or DE :offtopic:

currently 250w SE can't cover my 3x1.5x1.5 tank. Thinking to go for

2 x 150 DE, I believe 2 DE should be cover the whole tank.

Wonder PAR will reduce ? However, MH would be more closer to water due to less area need to cover. I guess should be more or equal PAR with 250w.

Idea please.

Ocean Gump