how to epoxy sps properly

• SRC Member

hello all ya kickass super sps dudes,can anyone please teach me how to epoxy sps properly?do i like need to mould the epoxy before i let it cure??i am truely clueless,tried for the whole night but can seem to get it right...pics will be very very good...and erm,i'm talking about big colonies,not small frags...thanx

one more thing,will my sps die if i off my water circulation(tunzes,return pump will still be running) for like one hour to let the epoxy cure??

thanx thanx thanx :thanks:

They won't die without circulation for 1 hour. Just worry about your fish. Anyway, you don't need such a long time for epoxy to cure. Normally it only takes a few minutes before you can on your circulation again. If you can remove the rock you want to epoxy the sps to, it would be good as it cures better out of water. Simply epoxy it out of water and leave it for around 10 minutes. By then the epoxy should have taken hold and you can place the rock+sps back into the tank. If you are talking about epoxying it underwater, you have to use alot of epoxy and most likely you will have to hold it in place until it takes hold. So most likely you'll be holding the sps underwater for a few minutes at least. IMO it is easier to epoxy it out of water. ;) Smaller colonies or frags can be epoxied underwater quite easily. Superglue gel works just as well. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
They won't die without circulation for 1 hour. Just worry about your fish. Anyway, you don't need such a long time for epoxy to cure. Normally it only takes a few minutes before you can on your circulation again. If you can remove the rock you want to epoxy the sps to, it would be good as it cures better out of water. Simply epoxy it out of water and leave it for around 10 minutes. By then the epoxy should have taken hold and you can place the rock+sps back into the tank. If you are talking about epoxying it underwater, you have to use alot of epoxy and most likely you will have to hold it in place until it takes hold. So most likely you'll be holding the sps underwater for a few minutes at least. IMO it is easier to epoxy it out of water. ;) Smaller colonies or frags can be epoxied underwater quite easily. Superglue gel works just as well. ;)

thanx fuel,i epoxy the base of the colony,and after that i used super glue gel to stick it on the rocks,cant take the rocks out,cuz its supporting another peice...the selley's knead it like quite hard to cure underwater......i have to mould it and hold it at the same time...fun,but looks darn messy....

Hmm..why not you put epoxy on the rock and on the colony itself then press them together while underwater? You have to kneed the epoxy until it hardens a little before you attempt to join them if not you'll be holding them for very very long. :lol:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

If u usin 2part liquid epoxy. Dry the surface of both the sps and the LR tat u r gonna apply the epoxy on. Apply epoxy to both side and hold them together (for abt 2mins) for the epoxy to cure. Then u can place it back into the tank.

If u tokin abt usin 2part liquid epoxy underwater,.....nvr tried. :paiseh:

As for those epoxy like "selly's kneal it" or tunze,....or watever brand.

Dry the both the sps and the LR tat u r goin to apply the "dough" on.

Cut the amt u require n mix the "dough" then place the epoxy on the dry spot and place sps on top of it and apply pressure. Hold and wait for 2-3min for it to cure.

I usually put some superglue on both the LR and sps then place the epoxy in betw them and apply some pressure.

If LRs can't be taken out of water......u have to dry the base of the sps. Cut the amount of "dough" needed, mix and apply superglue onto the base of sps then press the dough onto the base (give it abt 30sec) Nxt...u hav to place the sps onto whichever spot u want in the tank and apply some pressure and using ur hand hold it there (approx 5min) for them to hold. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
Hmm..why not you put epoxy on the rock and on the colony itself then press them together while underwater? You have to kneed the epoxy until it hardens a little before you attempt to join them if not you'll be holding them for very very long. :lol:

i think it's kinda stucked now....but i'm sure it'll fall off once i on my tunze...anyway,i'm out of gel and epoxy now hehehe....thanx bro fuel,will try again tml...

• SRC Member
If u usin 2part liquid epoxy. Dry the surface of both the sps and the LR tat u r gonna apply the epoxy on. Apply epoxy to both side and hold them together (for abt 2mins) for the epoxy to cure. Then u can place it back into the tank.

If u tokin abt usin 2part liquid epoxy underwater,.....nvr tried. :paiseh:

As for those epoxy like "selly's kneal it" or tunze,....or watever brand.

Dry the both the sps and the LR tat u r goin to apply the "dough" on.

Cut the amt u require n mix the "dough" then place the epoxy on the dry spot and place sps on top of it and apply pressure. Hold and wait for 2-3min for it to cure.

I usually put some superglue on both the LR and sps then place the epoxy in betw them and apply some pressure.

If LRs can't be taken out of water......u have to dry the base of the sps. Cut the amount of "dough" needed, mix and apply superglue onto the base of sps then press the dough onto the base (give it abt 30sec) Nxt...u hav to place the sps onto whichever spot u want in the tank and apply some pressure and using ur hand hold it there (approx 5min) for them to hold. ;)

yup,i held it there for almost 20mins...now its sort of hardened...but still not very stable...need to redo tml...anyway,that piece is the yellow mille i got from u just now...looks great man. :lol:

• SRC Member

Acros encrust epoxy very quickly. Much quicker than LR. The trick is to use a big lump of epoxy with the frag so that you can get a large base in the shortest time. Its kind of cheating but the frag looks a lot bigger.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Feel like sharing my experience. Went down to NTUC to buy Selleys Knead yestersday. Few different type of Selleys epoxy on shelf. All of them indicated poison except Selleys Knead. Need to be careful not to buy the wrong one.

It harden fast (5 mins) but heat generated. Wonder is there any poison released? The parts don't hold when they are wet (Include the SPS). Need to dry the area to be join together before pressing them together.

• SRC Member
Feel like sharing my experience. Went down to NTUC to buy Selleys Knead yestersday. Few different type of Selleys epoxy on shelf. All of them indicated poison except Selleys Knead. Need to be careful not to buy the wrong one.

It harden fast (5 mins) but heat generated. Wonder is there any poison released? The parts don't hold when they are wet (Include the SPS). Need to dry the area to be join together before pressing them together.

i personally use this for quite some time already, no problem...

btw, it can cure underwater as well, cures fast too, just need some experince n techniques n patience in holding the joining components ;)