Question On Phosphate And Ph Level

joolye

• SRC Member

Lastest Water Parameter

Temp = 27 to 28.9(After 6hrs of MH lights)

PH = 8.4-8.6

Phosphate seems high = >1ppm???

Calcium = 460-480

Alk=7-8dKH

Lightings 150W x 2

Currently using Macro CA-100 CA reactor with grade@15 coral chip

Measured PH from CA reactor is 6.6-6.7

Keeping mushrooms and some softies

The corals looks well BUT except that hair algae seems to be growing fast on certain area.

Understand that using CA reactor, PH in main tank should somehow be lower, but its seems that my PH is quite High. Is it normal?

Beside adding PhosGuard and water change, what are the effective way to bring down the phosphate level? If Phosphate level is down, will that solve my hair algae problem?

Thanks

• SRC Member

You will need a more efficient skimmer or feed less. Phosphate is usually undetectable because they are used up by algae very quickly, especially if you have an algae bloom. It means that your bioload is too high for your filtration.

I don't know what size of a tank are you talking about, but it will take bucket loads of Phosguard to decrease your phosphate to undetectable. You can try Rowaphos and Contraphos but similarly, they are a very costly way to decrease phosphate.

Your pH does seem high at 8.6. Your probe might need calibrating.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Tanzy: my tank size is 36x18x30 inch. Just started my protein skimmer. I had infact calibrate my PH meter (even though its BRAND new) to verify the PH. Well unless I screw up the the calibration! (using 4.0 and 7.01 buffer solution). attach is my tank.

post-7-1061545882.jpg

Edited by Tanzy

• SRC Member

I meant the protein skimmer had been stop running for abt 1mths due to not able to skim properly due to the water level. Its a amiracle venturi skimmer. I just modify the output to maintain a constant water level in the skimmer hoping its will manage to skim now. Is it possible of the skimmer not skimming causing the phoshate to goes up???

• SRC Member

It is quite possible since it is not removing the fish poop before it decomposes in the water.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif