My New Bought Seahorse Dont Eat Live Brin Shrimp!!

souphamster

• SRC Member

bought 2 of this Sh from reborn but they dun eat live food leh.. how ar??? they just hang there and see the brine shrimp swimming around.. so sianz.. bought one packet $3 some more.. all go down the drain.. here is the pic.. btw, wat is this species? How to train Wild Seahorse to eat? where to buy live mysis? thanks for the help !!

My Seahorse

bought 2 of this Sh from reborn but they dun eat live food leh.. how ar??? they just hang there and see the brine shrimp swimming around.. so sianz.. bought one packet $3 some more.. all go down the drain.. here is the pic.. btw, wat is this species? How to train Wild Seahorse to eat? where to buy live mysis? thanks for the help !!

My Seahorse

To trained SH to eat is rather dificulot thus do not suggest you to get seahorse unless they are eating already and you done enough research on them........ Live brine shrimp or guppy fries can be used to tempt SH to eat

hi hamster.... i have 2 seahorse too.....

1 of them initially refused to eat any food....... onli after 1 week or so it started eating the frozen mysis shrimp that i feed it with......

but in that 1 week... i just put slightly extra mysis shrimp inside the seahorse tank....

IMO, when it is hungri... it will eat.......

• SRC Member

it will if u are lucky orelse it will starve to death if u not prepared to make effort then better not kill em'..

there is growing concern around the world to save the seahorses

Can always go Pasir Ris beach the mangrove areas during low tide to catch those small glass shrimp for your seahorse to eat. Beware of snakes though. They might seem small and cute. Was tempted to catch them before...But dun think I should risk it as I don't even know if they are venomous. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

okie, the glass shrimp.. ok

ong = wangzx ? ooooo

okie, then tonight i can and see the fashion show event leow..kekeke... cos no time to buy shrimp tonight. Tommorrow i will try to feed.. but what size is consider small for a shrimp? normally they are selling one packet, cannot even choose, so those big ones take n feed my luohan hee. Any idea where sell mysis? Sealife have? how much does it cosT?

wangzx=ong....Yap..... that me..... :D

You can ask WaterC*** if they have live Mysis (Sometime they do). Forzen mysis can get from Petma*t or ML. Size of the fresh live glass shrimp, not more that 1cm long will do. Is diff. to find/buy small size shrimp but sometime LSF did bring in. Have to try your luck......

Out of a pair bought 4 months ago, 1 died two months ago probably due to lack of experience.... mixing them with fishes in one tank.

I follow advice and keep the lonesome guy in a 2 gallon tank . Whenever I feed with brine shrimps, it sucks...they do not eat like fish does.

• SRC Member

souphamster, don't feed the entire packet of live brineshrimp...that will confuse them. Feed a tablespoon at a time untill nearly all eaten then feed more.

(u can store live brine in a container in the fridge for up to 3 days)

What they do when watching is actually hunting. They will follow a single shrimp all around the tank and slurp it up when they think its time.

But......brine shrimp alone will not be enough to keep seahorse long term. Roughly take 9mths of slow starvation before they look like sticks and go to seahorse heaven.

MYSIS does contain the essential fatty acids to sustain them, weaning them onto frozen mysis is a big task by itself. Some will, some won't & rather starve to death.

Sad to say that the ones you bought were wild caught. Watercircle is the only place in SG that sells Aquacultured seahorses (Emperor seahorses). Cultured horses are trained from young to eat frozen mysis.

Honestly, wild seahorses have a very low survival rate. i get something like 40% from wild ones(to live more than 15mths). Feeding is a pain.In the morning and in the evening....took too much time and i don't keep them anymore. I gave away my last few when i tore down my old tanks.

The horses you have are the common Tigertails referred to as H.Comes

There is a wealth of information on SH and here is something to start on

Seahorse.org