26-29.3c .......Is it too wide a fluctuation?

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Totally agree.....didnt dare to on it (fan) when I am not at home......sigh!......switch the chiller back on and set the temp to 26 instead of 25....... <_<

Still toying the idea of what Allan have done......... :P

• SRC Member
yup I achieve after alot after moving the fan here and there to get the best effect..

be4 my 650watt MH on, the tank is keep at around 26.7 to 27.1. When MH on temp will reach highest 27.9 but if it hit 28 be4 my 1st MH off then no choice chiller will kick in (but cool very fast too)... but so far after the new location of my fans for 1 week my chiller never kick in..

a note to add, my Mh is very near water around 4" above water only...

As for water top-up.. advise u to use auto-top up cause evaporation is alot.. e.g. within 3-4 days my 3ft by 5" by 2ft water container will reach almost empty.

an auto top-up not that ex la.. compare to how much u need to pay for the chiller bill.. u save 2 months can buy one tubby and then save your bill for months and many more..

Hi Allan, does the cold water from the chiller feed directly to your main tank or sump tank?......I notice that when my set my chiller to 25...my main tank temp is at 26.1 - 26.4.......Now I set my chiller to 26......and my main tank is...??? havent monitor yet..... :paiseh:

By the way your auto top up water reservior is huge!!!! 3 ft by 2 ft??!!! :shock:

and your MH is so near to the water!! :blink: .....

I am then now considering the space I have to put a reservior.....probably in the balcony again...... <_<

hehehe.....wondering if I can visit you this weekend?? :rolleyes: ...need to see all this with my own eyes...... :lol:

• SRC Member

Wow, not bad huh, Alan! :) Where's the new location of my fans that enable your chiller to not kick in for one week? Can give more info of fan position? Maybe a pic would help. Thanks! ;)

kschew, I think you can follow what Alan is doing lor if you wanna save on your bills.

• SRC Member

Hi,

sorry now then see this thread... have been busy laterly on training so dont have internet access..

ok below is my TR chiller temp at around 7pm which my centre 150W MH on at 3.30pm, right side 250W Mh on at 4pm and left 250W MH on at 5pm.

So water has been under full MH for around 2hrs and today room temp is around 29 degree.

post-7-1092222785.jpg

• SRC Member

I'm not sure how is your chiller temp controller like..

when my chiller give me 26.9 my main tank is around the same... but my sump will be slightly lower around 26.7 like that..

for me I find temp to be around 27 to 28 is ok.. not too high or low..anything lower I dont think fan can help prevent chiller from kick in but do help in delaying temp increasing..

for me, my aim is to prevent from using the chiller to cool the fan and thus save $$$, 30watt to replace 1000watt or 500watt (I'm not sure how many watt my chiller use but confirm it's big)

so e.g. I run my 30W fan 24 = 30 * 24 = 720

my chiller 1000 run 8 hrs a day = 1000 * 8 = 8000

8000 - 720 = 7280

7.28 * 0.1635 = 1.19028 * 30 = 35.7084 (save per month) ;)

• SRC Member

hmmm......I probably need to invest on a auto top up kit......find a space for a huge reservior.......another fan........think of hang to fan......what else?....

I got to see it myself......hey Allan......thanks very much for sharing this with me/us........received you pm....thanks once again. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Hey, water from top up also need money....worst still if you are not using DI/RO you might be constantly battleing N03 problem....RosPhos, polifilter, denitrator...etc....on the other hand using DI/RO will have lots of waste water....

is it really worth the saving????

My place is very hot and stuffy in the living room at night...there was no way i could bring the tank temp to below 28...in fact most of the time stay at 29 no matter how much fan i have blowing at it.... :D For fuel, i've been to his place once....and its very very breezy so i guess not a prob maintaining the temp....so in the end, no point going the fan method if you have to contantly move around your house without any shirt on....

• SRC Member

Water top up can caused NO3 problem???? :huh: ......the only thing I worried if phosphate and silicate from the tap water.........hmmm....you do have a point there.......thats why I am still contemplating to...... :P

But Allan's MH is 2X250W and 1X150W and so near to the water and he can maintain 27-28c......I am impress.......I think mine will probably be better as I am only using 3X150w MH and my light is almost 1 feet away from the water....... :unsure:

• SRC Member

well I'm not running on RO but just plain tap water... SG water still not in that worst stage where it's so "polluted" as u mention... else alot of us will have problem as we drink straight from the tap....

N03 in tap water r not that high... as for phosphate for me I have no problem at all.. I dont use any RosPhos from the begining due now, polifilter yes only 3 piece so far since the start of this tank and I dont have any phosphate problem been undectable..

as for N03 yes I have either undectable or a little value range due to my louzy skimmer (been thinking of getting a gd skimmer but guess that will have to wait till begining of next yr). For now I will have to upgrade my return flow. Thinking of geting red dragon.

as for water top-up need money.. yes but how much is a red container of water cost that will last u for 3-4 days. I believe it's still cheaper.

As for my place. It's not that windy as all the wind is been blow across my window rather then coming in. But I still dont face any problem about that. When on windy day, I once did saw my temp drop to even 26.0 or something like 25.8. As we all know the weather condition now is hot. So I cannot imagine how it will be like without using fan and just chiller only. I can see my chiller running like hell.

I guess when Nov to Jan will be my best time as it's very cool and windy at my side and i can even achieve lower temp and maybe even use timer to on off my fan to reduce elect more.

Well this is just my personal experince and how I look at it and how I see fit to my tank needs. So u do have you points. I'm just sharing what I have achieve and just provide more idea to others and maybe they can benfit it or find it a waste of time.

• SRC Member

Wah....red dragon huh.....Allan, you have got expensive taste..... :lol: ........but it does have low wattage......as compare to mine now running a electricity hunger ATMAN 200w pump.....sigh!.....maybe I should also look at my return pump..... <_< ...worse still another 100w for my Haliea pump for my chiller and UV.........24 hr 7 days a week..... :( ........

• SRC Member

wow 100w just for chiller... u must be joking...

u dont need that high flow for chiller...

what to do this hobby is ex and after this finally round of upgrade in equipment I wont be spending any more money on it...

yup I'm thinking red dragon to replace my return and chiller pump..

of for the skimmer guess what planning planning for the king.... that's provide if the planning work...

• SRC Member

Bo pian leh....my damp chiller is outside my miserable balcony.......and its 10m to run a tube to and fro from the chiller and my sump tank so...... <_<

hmmm......towering skimmer you are thinking huh.... :lol::lol:.....

• SRC Member
Bo pian leh....my damp chiller is outside my miserable balcony.......and its 10m to run a tube to and fro from the chiller and my sump tank so...... <_<

hmmm......towering skimmer you are thinking huh.... :lol::lol:.....

towering skimmer no la... I dont like tower skimmer or anything out of my tank cabinet.. so ugly it just spoil the whole beauty of the reef...

me always looking out for short gd skimmer that can fit into the below of my cabinet and so far only the bubble king is the best fit me... and the $$$ flying off which I have to plan and see how..

• SRC Member
hmmm......I probably need to invest on a auto top up kit......find a space for a huge reservior.......another fan........think of hang to fan......what else?....

I got to see it myself......hey Allan......thanks very much for sharing this with me/us........received you pm....thanks once again. :thanks:

kschew>> I agree with that. I think you should get the fans and mount them properly then see how the water evaporation rate is going. Think then you can go for a top-off. That should solve your watrer temp. problems I hope. :) I am going to try this method with my 2footer too. Let you know how it goes next time.

Just to let you know, my 2.5ft military tank never goes over 28.2C this is without tank fans or chiller. Just the ceiling fan going in the day. :yeah:

Whew, Alan interesting stuff there. What's the brand of the fan you're using, is it AC or DC? Thanks...:)

Looks like you're getting high end stuff huh? Yu[, but agreed. It is good to get something of the top-line and later dun upgrade anymore equipment. Just let the tank mature and grow for years to come... :peace:

• SRC Member

The evaporation rate is not that super huge.. u guy should come over and look at my water container tank.. it's not that big after all...

u guy r talking as if u need a big resevoir like that... ;)

As for the fan it's just a 15W AC 3000rpm fan. Those server fan, I got mine free from office so I dont know what's the brand like. Maybe u can get it at SimLim.

When u position the fan just make sure u can feel the wind blowing across every part of the surface of your tank.

gd luck :D