Question On Fragging Alveopora

bawater

• SRC Member

alveopora_drumstick_before_frag_top_view

i split this piece into 2 a while ago.

i have some considerations on how to go about this the second time round.

The first time was just dead skeleton base to i just split it with a hammer & chisel..simple, but now i need to cut through living tissue.....which method to i employ? hacksaw it?or split it with a hammer again?(like an acro)...there will be some serious tissue damage to the surrounding area and i want to try to minimize any disease that might happen.

And - what do i use to mount it with?

1. Superglue it?

2. Do i epoxy it?

Alveopora_sp._left_frag.JPG

i got 2 small bulbs of abt 1cm new growth on the ends of the drumstick-after nearly 4mths

Alveopora_sp._right_frag.JPG

Hmm... I really don't think it's a good idea to hack thru an alveopora unless it's branching. But if it's in the 'massive' form eg. round like a boulder... that's too much tissue to cut thru, it may suffer from brown jelly infection.

If you want to risk it... you have to find a way to clamp it without hurting the tissue and then use a very sharp hacksaw to cut through the skeleton. Or use a dremel tool to cut across the 1st 1/2 or 1 cm down (thinly thru the flesh) and then use a chisel to split the skeleton into two.

• SRC Member

thanks

i wish i didn't have to but the piece i intend to do it to is in the direct flow of a Tunze stream...and its not liking it. Its too big to move anywhere else unless i make it into smaller pieces. :D

i tried the web...nothing about propagation of alveopora. Only found the simple method of breaking skeleton with no living tissue.

i'll see if it will adjust to the flow by the weekend, if not then... :fear:

• SRC Supporter
thanks

i wish i didn't have to but the piece i intend to do it to is in the direct flow of a Tunze stream...and its not liking it. Its too big to move anywhere else unless i make it into smaller pieces. :D

i tried the web...nothing about propagation of alveopora. Only found the simple method of breaking skeleton with no living tissue.

i'll see if it will adjust to the flow by the weekend, if not then... :fear:

Think you might be interested in doing a readup on the fragging of Elegence... might help... from my understanding of what was read eons ago....

Make a cut at the base of the skeleton up to jus millimetres from the flesh...

Leave the flesh intact and slowly place both fragged parts slightlyapart, increasing the distance every few days till the flesh seperates on it own........

This is what they do to frag elegence and bubbles........

• SRC Member

You could get RoachOne to step on it!

Or chisel it in one clean blow then give it a good dip in Lugols or similar stuff and hope for the best.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Supporter
The trouble with Alveos is that their polyps come out from corallites and they are not fleshy like elegance or bubble corals....

Guess then that Bawater might jus have to risk it for the Alveo...

Theres a document by Anthony Calfo regarding fragging of corals with fused corallites... let see if I can find it......