Tunze 6060 in a >3ft tank

• SRC Member

my tank measurez 35"(L) x 15"(W) x 17"(H) = abt 150liters

i wanna ask if a Tunze 6060 will b 2 strong 4 my tank??? will i get a lot of turbulance frm the sand in my tank of thiz size??? Tunze web site state tat the 6060 iz meant 4 tank 250~800literz. if it iz suitable, i'm gonna get it 2day.

oso, where shld i place it in my tank??? blowin' out from the rock structure or 2wardz???

guyz, plz advise

Placing your stream is not just about the technical specs.

It's about placement.

You have to play around with positioning until it doesn't:

1. Blow tissue off corals.

2. Spurt water out of the tank/create salt spray

3. 'Dig ups' the sandbed.

4. Create 'whirlpool' effect and blow tiny bubbles all across the tank.

You have to learn how to secure it firmly in place so it doesn't do any of the above yet be easily acccessible for cleaning.

Often than not, I see reefers use rocks to diffuse/divert the water flow or aim it diagonally across the tank to bounce off the opposite walls.

• SRC Member
Placing your stream is not just about the technical specs.

It's about placement.

You have to play around with positioning until it doesn't:

1. Blow tissue off corals.

2. Spurt water out of the tank/create salt spray

3. 'Dig ups' the sandbed.

4. Create 'whirlpool' effect and blow tiny bubbles all across the tank.

You have to learn how to secure it firmly in place so it doesn't do any of the above yet be easily acccessible for cleaning.

Often than not, I see reefers use rocks to diffuse/divert the water flow or aim it diagonally across the tank to bounce off the opposite walls.

but if the placement iz eg. in the open front left corner blowin' 2wardz the rock structure in the back part of the tank, wont the current b 2 strong 4 the fishez 2 swim ard in the open???

Your fishes will learn to avoid the 'cone' and swim everywhere but around it.

Some fishes like tangs and anthias would actually enjoy 'surfing' the 'wave' but for small tanks like yours... err..... I think not.

"Wheeeee...... SPLAT!*

• SRC Member

Irun two tunze streams in my 3 ft tank. The current kills my LPS- they cant take the flow. Mushies do a bit better, as they dont flop as much. I have had tissue tear on the tentacles of my hammer and octo, and they definitely were much smaller than before when I ran normal PHs. Having said, the SPS enjoy the current, although I have to be careful to avoid direct blast.

Probl

I faced were placement- the Streams are large monsters- how to conceal them, ensure that they in very least are discreet? Also, avoiding sandstorms- my sand used to collect at the two ends with the least flow. But thru trial and error, can be placed appropriately.

• SRC Member

If you increase your budget a bit, I suggest you get the 6100 which has manual setting accessible by a screwdriver to control the volume flow. If your budget allows, purchase it together with the single controller which allows a minimum flow (30%) and a maximum flow (from 30% to 100%) settings and a pulse rate of up to 6 seconds between minimum and maximum flows.

• SRC Member
my tank measurez 35"(L) x 15"(W) x 17"(H) = abt 150liters

i wanna ask if a Tunze 6060 will b 2 strong 4 my tank??? will i get a lot of turbulance frm the sand in my tank of thiz size??? Tunze web site state tat the 6060 iz meant 4 tank 250~800literz. if it iz suitable, i'm gonna get it 2day.

oso, where shld i place it in my tank??? blowin' out from the rock structure or 2wardz???

guyz, plz advise

I have a Tunze 6060 for a 3 feet tank... measuring just like yours. I've used it once, and believe its too powerful for a 3 footer. Period! Still very new... You've welcome to borrow it to try for your tank and if you still like it.. you can take it off me for a slight discount off a new one. Staying East, PasirRis/Tampines....

rgds,

mm

Hi heckers, great thread there. Actually i am facing the same problem as you. I am currently cycling my 3ft tank(3x2x2), and was planning to get a tunze 6060 till you posted this question. Now i have doubts about it whether the current is way too strong for the tank and making all my fish surfing ard the whole tank. But if i dun get the tunze, are there other wavemakers that are more user friendly for a 3ft tank( but there's a cap of about $200 for me) ?

• SRC Member

I have a Tunze 6060 for a 3 feet tank... measuring just like yours. I've used it once, and believe its too powerful for a 3 footer. Period! Still very new... You've welcome to borrow it to try for your tank and if you still like it.. you can take it off me for a slight discount off a new one. Staying East, PasirRis/Tampines....

rgds,

mm

madmac,

hey!!! i stayz in pasir riz area 2!!! elias rd 2b exact.

if u dun mind, i sure wld like 2 borrow frm u. plz let me knoe

• SRC Member
Hi heckers, great thread there. Actually i am facing the same problem as you. I am currently cycling my 3ft tank(3x2x2), and was planning to get a tunze 6060 till you posted this question. Now i have doubts about it whether the current is way too strong for the tank and making all my fish surfing ard the whole tank. But if i dun get the tunze, are there other wavemakers that are more user friendly for a 3ft tank( but there's a cap of about $200 for me) ?

pangz,

well, other den the tunze, the only other way iz 2 put multi PHs in ur tank lor... :(

i waz thinkin' of just hvin' 1 tunze 6060 & no need any other PH

• SRC Member
If you increase your budget a bit, I suggest you get the 6100 which has manual setting accessible by a screwdriver to control the volume flow. If your budget allows, purchase it together with the single controller which allows a minimum flow (30%) and a maximum flow (from 30% to 100%) settings and a pulse rate of up to 6 seconds between minimum and maximum flows.

victorp,

bad suggestion man!!!

Tunze 6060 = S$185.00

Tunze 6100 + Singlecontroller 7091 = S$619.00

difference : S$619.00 - S$185.00 = S$434.00

tat'z not increasing the budget a bit man... :(

Don't mind me asking on what the advantages of using a Tunze. Was thinking of using two eheim compact series connected to a cheap wavemaker control. Think this should be less than $200. But curious on the Tunze in the long run.

• SRC Member

pangz,

well, other den the tunze, the only other way iz 2 put multi PHs in ur tank lor... :(

i waz thinkin' of just hvin' 1 tunze 6060 & no need any other PH

Use the Rio Seio M620 lor.....$88 only and can boost 2400l/hr flowrate.......that will solve ur problem on sand fly.

Eric

• SRC Member

victorp,

bad suggestion man!!!

Tunze 6060 = S$185.00

Tunze 6100 + Singlecontroller 7091 = S$619.00

difference : S$619.00 - S$185.00 = S$434.00

tat'z not increasing the budget a bit man... :(

Well, if you visit one of SRC's sponsor at this link, you can purchase the Tunze TS7 kit at only SGD460.00 with free delivery thrown in as well.

• SRC Member

At 15"(W) x 17"(H), a 6060 may be a little too strong, even if you break the flow somewhat with your LR structure.

The 6000/6100 with single controller, that allows you to control the flow rate, would work but will set you back a few hundred bucks.

Ever considered Maxijet 1200's?

• SRC Member

I also have one tunze 6060 in 3x2x2, if your tank is having the bracing, hanging the tunze will be a challenge (need to crack your brain). As for the flow, very strong , still trying ways to deflect it, for the sand must change to size 3.

Advantage is having good distribution flow, low wattage 11W. no noise.

Some bad experience of PH, high wattage, heavy, drop off after a while. Noisy.

Generate heat , not presentable if you have some many PH in your tank.