My long distance relationship from japan

latest updates from my nannies,

abt only 5 to 10% of my sps survived.

most softies survived.

abt 80% lps survived.

abt 80% of ric floridas survived. (yes, the rare yellow and tri banded color ones survived.)

the one and only teardrop maxima in my tank survived.

no reported casualty in LS.

water is still a little milky and smelly.........

reported water parameters:

temp: 27 deg. (new chiller)

dKH: ???

Ca: ???

NO3: 25ppm

water change is undergoing at the current moment as i speak. 4 large packs of GAC in sump. 2x polyfilters in sump. skimmer running tirelessly.

that's abt it. had to cycle 1 km to make this call to my nannies at this time.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi lightningstrike,

Such unexpected things happen when we're away. For me, my MM caulerpa scrubber crashed, and there wasnt anyone to help me change my water so hair algae took over completely and killed everything in its path, my Yumas, my Floridas all my LPSes.

Dont be discouraged by the failure! You're very fortunate to have so many responsible nannies helping you babysit your tank, as well as having most of your livestock still alive. You will have plenty of time to restart on SPS once you're back, like how I'm restocking now! :)

Cheers~

My condolences. I wish I could have helped. I am only 5 minutes walking distance away from where you are. Oh well, a setback that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! You'll be back!

However, AT, would you kindly elaborate on the protection circuit you have installed pls?

It's a probe that is in my main tank (and not my sump for obvious reasons that if my main returns should fail) attached to a thermostat that monitors the main tank's temperature.

If it hits 29C, it cuts off power to my MHs automatically. When the temperature drops back below 29C, the MHs are allowed to come back on. My water temperature can hits 29C no probs with the windows all closed, my chiller blasting hot air into the room, my room door is closed and the fan over the tank switched off and all the pumps running. It is absolutely crucial that my chiller functions. Without it... and without this 'thermal protection' installed, it is guaranteed that my lights would 'cook' my tank.

It has happened to me at least 3 times before (the overheating causing a tank crash) and to date, it has saved me twice when I accidentally forgot to switch my chiller pump on after turning off all water circulation to my tank for viewing/photography purposes.

Human error will always be there... but with this installed, I cut down on the probability by almost 99% (the remaining 1% being the probe/thermostat failing to do its job).

thxs to all for the moral support, esp to AT....... you know why.

for now, i juz wanna rest. work in japan is killing me. :off: thoughts of my tank make it worse. whether i make a comeback or not, it depends......... but most likely i will. coz i m a reefaholic as i m a westiholic. :sick:

:(

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png