Tang lovers: I honestly didn't want to do this!!

In my distant past, I was guilty of catching a surgeonfish!!! :shock: CHECK OUT THE SIZE OF IT!!!

All I knew was that it was very near the surface of the water and it gave me a good fight for 5 minutes!! :pinch:

It took a piece of squid bait right after I caught a giant trevally.

Disclaimer: The identity of this person has been taken off to protect him from the Tang Police! Any resemblence to me is purely coincidental! :whistle

post-54-1089838616.jpg

Boo hoo hoo.... I was a marine-lover then but above the waves!!

To think that i actually caught a tang.... when I saw this very old photo.. and ID'ed the fish... I felt really sad!!!

• SRC Member

No worries, AT.

That's why I preaches Catch and release to the young generation. If you are not going to eat it, release it. The pleasure of Fishing is from the hooking up and winning the tack of war with the fish. Thus, if we don't want to eat them just release them back to fight another day.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
i tot when you hook them their mouth already damage already.....so isn;t releasing them back to the ocean BAD???? they are likely to die staving....i think you guys are preaching the wrong things.....

Fish lips consist of 2 part(layman term)- the jaw bone and the soft menbrane which holds the jaw to the fish. So the part that is damage is the soft membrane only unless the fella swallow the whole hook. Anyway, the soft membrance will heal by itself like the fins on the fish body.

nope... Be it caught for food, game or research, catch & release works because fishes have very tough mouths, even with a tiny hole caused by a hook, they are unharmed and can be released with no problems.

If an unskilled fisherman doesn't strike fast enough or a fish that is too greedy and swallows fast... potentially the hook could enter deeper into the gill area and that would mean more injury and even death.

Catch and release also means any unedible fishes have to be returned and all undersized or oversized ones too... take what you eat. Some countries have laws regarding this.

That's the mark of a good angler, practiced worldwide.

• SRC Member

If the fishes doesnt have tough mouths, how can they struggle with you when u're pulling them in with just a hook on its lips. If its that soft and fragile, the whole of the lips can be easily been ripped off with the pressure of the tugging.

Thats how i think about it, don't know whether its true enough. :D But it seems like that la :P

• SRC Member
If the tang is bristle-tooth...how? Will it's mouth be damaged and heal by itself? If can heal, may try fishing in my tank.

:lol::lol::lol:

Very funny. Why would you want to do that???

I was hopping to use that method to fish out all those pesty damselfish. :lol::lol:

Its definitely one of those ocean tangs, those that I see hanging around big schools of barracudas, jacks & trevallies.

Coz I remembered this was hooked up immediately after landing a nice big trevally!

BTW, this was at the Similan Islands in Thailand about 9-10 years ago I think... my favourite fishing mecca!

Its definitely one of those ocean tangs, those that I see hanging around big schools of barracudas, jacks & trevallies.

Coz I remembered this was hooked up immediately after landing a nice big trevally!

BTW, this was at the Similan Islands in Thailand about 9-10 years ago I think... my favourite fishing mecca!

You should be cruxified.... :lol:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg