return pump --> chiller --> main tank

Hi, I was thinking of connecting my return pump from my sump to the chiller then from there back to my main tank. Would it be advisable?

Currently i have a Resun Cl650. It says it needs a min pump of 1800 l/h to run it. However if i were to connect the my return pump to the chiller then back to the main tank, should i use a more powerful flow rate pump? If so, how strong should the flow rate be? Pls advice. Thanks

• SRC Member

Yeah, you should use a more powerfull pump. Check out mainly the pressure of the pump (measured in m). Piping and the chiller and aquarium height create a lot of pressure losses that the pump must overcome.

I use a Laguna utility pump 5 (5000l/H and 2.5m) as a return going through my Cl650. My flowrate must be around 2000L/H and I use a valve on the output to reduce it slightly to 1000-1500 L/H because my overflow can't take more.

• SRC Member

The pump requirement for the chiller to be effective and the required size of the return pump to the tank may not match.

For example your return pump is 900 gals/hr, if this is used to run through the chiller, the water may not have enough time to be chilled as it is moving too fast, some chillers require a much smaller pump so that water flow slower to get cooled. That's what I think as I noticed that the flow rate for my return pump and chiller are different.

for example, I tee off my return to run my FR. the pipe has a ball valve to control the flow and for precise tuning, there is another ball valve on the FR. But beware of the pressure though :ph34r:

post-6-1089810010.jpg

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

So does it mean that if i tee off from my return pump, there will be two water flow from the return pump? One linking to my chiller and one back to the main tank? So it means that there will be two flows now? one is return pump ---> chiller ---> sump and the other return pump --> to main tank? Instead of the one i suggest which is return pump --> chiller---> to main tank?

If this is the case right? I am using a CL 650 and my tank is 3x2x2( my sump is roughly 1.5 m below my main tank). What flow rate pump will be recommended for this set up? Thanks!

Best to have two separate pumps.

For redundancy and for better control/tuning.

A Tee-off from one pump could work also but you have to get a good pressure-rated one or you'll lose even more water flow.

There is a lot of head pressure inside a chiller and there is an optimum flowrate for max heat exchange with the coils.

A fast turnover from tank to sump is also important to optimize your filtration, especially mechanical eg. skimmers. No point having a super clean sump but your main tank is being cleaned at a very slow rate if you have a weak return pump.