New Divers Made It Back

nleong

• SRC Member

in a way, yes.. but when u think abt it.. very scary.. not to mention, dangerous too.. as such, subsequent deep dives, i always stay close to buddy, watch for symptoms.. hopefully, my buddy did the same then.. after experiencing it.. u tend to be more aware of it.. i might be wrong, but man learns from mistakes or experience

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was talking to my colleague who already got their OWC a few years back. And they were surprised that I really enjoyed my OWC. They find it strange. Most do not want to continue further.

I dunno why but here is a list of reasons that I can think of.

a. I'm into Reef thus being underwater to see the corals on their natural habitat excites me.

b. Orpheus Dive Staff makes the dive experience really fun and enjoyable

c. The kaki that takes OWC together - a fun group.

d. Experience the weightless feeling underwater. Take buoyancy control a challenge rather than a hassle.

e. Maybe because we got a one night stay in Mersing (7 hr rest) and take a 1hr speed boat to Tioman makes the difference compared to other dive shop that reach Mersing at 1am and took the 3 hour slow dive boat and reach Tioman at 4+am only 2 leave for their first dive at 10am.

What do you guys think?

Yazid;

There are some valid explanation why divers quit after Open Water Diver Course.

To begin with, diving is supposed to be fun and leisure. It was never designed to be a competitive sports. But because of our local diving industry, diving has changed alot since the day I started diving.

All prices, inc of resort prices, dive prices, PADI materials are going up. The only thing that is going down is the price for Open Water Course. So in order to survive, many dive operators have to cut corners, even if it means reducing the comfort level of divers.

For instant, some divers who tried to save cost, did their Open Water in Pulua Hantu. Nightmare for many, even for me as an Instructor.

To me, before each dive of the day, the diver should be given sufficient rest so that he/she can enjoy the dives. If not, you will be really cranky and tired.

And diving is a very personal sport. Dive shop operators and crew should constantly give personal services to each diver. For me, when I dive, I always notice each every diver so that I can give them personal advice for each and every of them.

Many divemasters and instructors dun do that. They just do what they need to do and neglect the divers.

After all these years of diving, my goal is to ensure that each diver learns diving the fun way and the right way. They should master they buoyancy control so they will enjoy dives anywhere and everywhere.

For those who are not aware, PADI has a Speciality Course call Peak Performance Buoyancy. During this course, which requires only two dives, you will be taught the different correct and effective finning techniques, breathing patterns and correct weights to use.

Many of divers that I have personally trained, are able to go down weightless, regardless of fat content. Diving is mostly controlled by using your lungs and this takes time to practise.

I hope I have answered your question why many divers quit diving after OWD.

• SRC Member

yeah man.. ultimately the company matters the most.. it gives u the first impression to me.. imagine goin diving fer the first time n everybody doin their own stuff keeping quiet n all.. damn boring.. fortunately we had reali good company.. i'm exhausted frm all the laffter sia! hahaha! realli fun! huhuhaha

• SRC Member
yeah man.. ultimately the company matters the most.. it gives u the first impression to me.. imagine goin diving fer the first time n everybody doin their own stuff keeping quiet n all.. damn boring.. fortunately we had reali good company.. i'm exhausted frm all the laffter sia! hahaha! realli fun! huhuhaha

yes.. the company that u go with is impt.. cant imagine joining a grp that stay quiet all the time.. :( that would have been so boring. :(

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
But I dare say somehow most divers are the fun loving kind, seldom will you find quiet fellas who only want to mind their own business? And another reason why pple are put off diving... cuz too expensive lah...

Its expensive yes, but if you pace yourself, it could be very enjoyable. Else, you will get burn out very soon, both mentally and financially. ;)

• SRC Member
Its expensive yes, but if you pace yourself, it could be very enjoyable. Else, you will get burn out very soon, both mentally and financially. ;)

couldnt agree more on this..

• SRC Member

Yeah I agree too!! Sometimes I feel its more relaxing and meaningful to go for a beach resort holiday, THEN as and when you feel like, you go diving with the dive centre there. Sometimes those dive trips where you cram 3 dives in a day gets so tiring then it becomes meaningless, you dive cuz you paid for it, not cuz you really still feel like diving?

• SRC Member
Yeah I agree too!! Sometimes I feel its more relaxing and meaningful to go for a beach resort holiday, THEN as and when you feel like, you go diving with the dive centre there. Sometimes those dive trips where you cram 3 dives in a day gets so tiring then it becomes meaningless, you dive cuz you paid for it, not cuz you really still feel like diving?

yah lor.. couldnt agree more... sometimes i dun feel like diving so many times in a day.. very tiring.(4 days dives, 1 nite dive) despite paying for all the dives.. i want to enjoy.. and relax.. not push myself to the limit until near exhaustion.. that would be more of a danger to both me and my buddy...