Aeroplane Strike By Lightning

Michaeleu

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Modern airliners are lightning proof. The electrical charge will be bled off the plane through the wing tips or the end of the fuselage.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Modern airliners are lightning proof. The electrical charge will be bled off the plane through the wing tips or the end of the fuselage.

You are right Tanzy. But the surge may be bad for the plane's avionics. Once it killed the aircraft's weather radar! :angry:

severity of a lightning strike varies.....depending on where it strikes, what plane it is and obviously the lightning(charge/discharge)

Most of the planes around our region get struck on a regular basis. But Tanzy is right...planes are built to withstand lightning strikes and discharge it from certain parts of the plane. Severe cases will lead to a huge jolt to the aircraft plus 2 burnt points at the plane....one where the strike occurs and one where it leaves the plane(if not the designated place). Occassionally loss of certain electronic aid will occur but nothing serious to jeopardise the safety.

Picture doesn't show the lightning strike very well though......

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

2. get rid of most of the filter cloth

3. First Buy!!! Skimz FR with Sorb4 and eheim pump

4. Re-doing the sump.....I~aquatic doing up the plans.

5. Lighting MH+T5 or T5 only? how many?

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

8. check valve on the return line to prevent sump overflow (great idea)

9. Refugium? Anything to replace it? a FR of some sort maybe?

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

3x False Percula Clownfish

• SRC Member
severity of a lightning strike varies.....depending on where it strikes, what plane it is and obviously the lightning(charge/discharge)

Most of the planes around our region get struck on a regular basis. But Tanzy is right...planes are built to withstand lightning strikes and discharge it from certain parts of the plane. Severe cases will lead to a huge jolt to the aircraft plus 2 burnt points at the plane....one where the strike occurs and one where it leaves the plane(if not the designated place). Occassionally loss of certain electronic aid will occur but nothing serious to jeopardise the safety.

Picture doesn't show the lightning strike very well though......

A320, r u in air line related industry. Seem to be u know quite # of things that normal people won't know.

And ur nick is A320, which is bit outdated airbus and only silkair aka tradewind is leasing from SIA now.

Just my curiousty.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

A320, r u in air line related industry. Seem to be u know quite # of things that normal people won't know.

And ur nick is A320, which is bit outdated airbus and only silkair aka tradewind is leasing from SIA now.

Just my curiousty.

Wah bro,

you very sharp hor... :)

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Wah bro,

you very sharp hor... :)

I guess quite # of guys here are crazy or in the line of aviation business.

I knew only upto theories of flying but never have a chance of real flying rather than simulator ( somewhere in PLA ) anyway it's 10 years ago :)

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

yup in the airline industry.......not silkair though. A320 isn't that outdated :huh:!! May be out for a while (fuselage-wise) but technology still pretty new.

In fact the "big" airbus selling point is that if you fly one, you should be able to fly the rest. It's in essence just a matter of number of engines. Not to mention the technology on board is dependent on what the airline opts for (pay for).....just like a car. ;)

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

1. Remove coral chips and ceramic rings and replace with live rocks. removed...looking for live rocks now

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

• SRC Member

Well, by theory it's true, every one known

But in real like it's not , especially flying aeroplane.

Even the car, u can see that ppl driving small car have difficultly in driving big car.

Dare to drive 10 wheelers ? no way man eventhough I have almost 20yrs of driving experience.

Well A320 is not outdated. U know in year 2000, I used to take that small baby ( by now ) 4 times a week to KL for A YEAR......

SIA outdated A320 and leased to SilkAir and now SilkAir fly for SIA's KL route. Haa Haa , so what is the different for end user :)

Still don't know wherethere those A320 is own by SIA or Tamasak ? Any idea.

Well A320, hope to see u in airport oneday than. So you could update me on all those new things that I am not aware of ( Hope you don't mind and love it )

I'd taken (I believe) all most all the SIA's plan ( expect A345 lar , cause not going to US this year ).

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Actually what A320 means is that Airbus has cross training concept. Those flying A320 will need lesser time for training to convert to the A330 or A340 or new A380. Basically cockpit layout is near similiar except extra switches and of course the thrust levers, either 2 or 4.

CAAS will only issue single rating to most pilots. Multiple ratings can only be maintained if only you are on the seat for the type of aircraft once every 28 days. Beyond 28 days, the licence will expire and you will need to go back to the simulator to regain your recency on type.

Actually, to taxi an aircraft is not difficult. Just follow the yellow line and if on wide body aircraft like the 747, then have to give allowance to the position of the nose wheel as it is located behind the pilots in relative position and have to let the aircraft go beyond the turning point then start the turn.

SIA did not lease the A320s to SilkAir. Actually SilkAir leased most of them from SALE (Singapore Aircraft Leasing).

Hope not talking too much.

• SRC Member

Ho ho another from avation industry ( pilot ? har )

SALE is arm of Tamasak right

Understood that SIA pilot has to stick to the aeroplane that they had gone for training. So no wonder CAAS give only one rating.

Where has A319 gone ? Used to be SilkAir fleet ?

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Ho ho another from avation industry ( pilot ? har )

SALE is arm of Tamasak right

Understood that SIA pilot has to stick to the aeroplane that they had gone for training. So no wonder CAAS give only one rating.

Where has A319 gone ? Used to be SilkAir fleet ?

No lah, Just a highly paid bus driver with 375 pax on board. :D

Another brother here on the 777.

Actually, if I am not wrong, silkair still using the A319 except that they have less of them and more of A320. Only way to tell from outside is they have an extra door and slightly longer.

• SRC Member

the exit point is at the tail. if you look at the lighting strike, it hit the middle of the body but flow through and exit from the end. it's designed to be like that.

this gif/clip is taken from one of the discovery channel documentary screening.

• SRC Member

No lah, Just a highly paid bus driver with 375 pax on board. :D

Another brother here on the 777.

Actually, if I am not wrong, silkair still using the A319 except that they have less of them and more of A320. Only way to tell from outside is they have an extra door and slightly longer.

So u r big bus driver of 747

Who is on 777 ?

Hey next time tell me ur schedule ( asia ) , so I could meet u in driver seat :)

No wonder u got money to burn for 6' tank.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

I really wish I will have enough money to buy private jet, so I could fly and can go anywhere ( to buy corals and play golf ) any time I like. Seeing those 2 private jet parking at airport alway make me itchy. Well no money to buy 6' yet so owing private jet is still the dream. If I have my own private jet, I will have 3' reef tank on the plane ( subjected to possibility ). So just fly, park, buy , placed in tank and fly back :D

*deleted by Admin*

Haa Haa , 2nd paragraph is JOKING ONLY.

Edited by Achilles Tang

Ocean Gump

well put weisoon. You must be a pilot or somebody working in CAAS.

6ft x 2ft x 3ft

Suggestions so far.

6. Chiller?

7. Wave maker

Tank Inhabitants

1x Blue Tang

1x picasso trigger

2x Brown Tang

1x pygmy angel

2x Stripped Damselfish

• SRC Member
Deleted by Admin ).

Haa Haa , 2nd paragraph is JOKING ONLY.

Ya, nowadays flying is no longer that stress free. So many checks for bombs, coded entry door etc etc.

No more cockpit visit also. Used to invite pax to the cockpit for a different perspective and even let them sit in for the takeoff and landing. Now all stopped. Now only SIA crew unable to get a seat can only occupy the jump seat. Other than that, no seat have to off load!

No, I do not have a 6' tank lah....only an up coming 4' only.

As for the other brother on the 777, better not disclose as he may like to remain anonymous.

Edited by Achilles Tang

• SRC Member
well put weisoon. You must be a pilot or somebody working in CAAS.

Me ? Pilot ? No way. Pilot was my dream when I was young.

In CAAS ? No way.

Happened to do lot of MinDef training project 10 years ago, so know only little bit or limited knowledge of flying.

Still remember the world in PLA hall,

"Car will not fly however will bring to the place you don't want to go very fast".

How about our bro <B>erictck</B> ? He seem to be know quite # things.

Ocean Gump