• SRC Supporter

hi guys,i wonder why some people have their tangs e.g yellow or purple..live happily together.. or 2 yellow and 2 purple tangs together.. wun they fight?

i added a purple tang into my tank many mths ago and my resident brown tank bullied it.. i added a power brown tang at that time too..and my purple tang stress it.. isit because of insufficent hiding place? or what reason?

do i have to catch them all up and put all into the tank together?

and also a friend of mine lost his kole tang after 2weeks,the tang dont seem to feed at any food only pecking on rocks and algae.. i heard form a lfs that kole tang actually feed on algae..and after there is no more algae it will starve and die is that true?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

personally, i have abt 3 tangs together at the moment. They seem to be quite happy swimming together though there are ocassionally fights.

i guess there might lotsa factors that will decide if different tangs can live together.

1) size, generally if all e tangs r roughly the same size. There is a gd chance they can live in harmony.

2) acclimatise them properly. The bullying part is always the initial stage when the new tang is introduce. What i do is to use the mirror method introduce by henry of ML. WORK WELL FOR ME.

3) personality of the tangs. It a bit abstract but i realise that i have a very friendly yellow tang who was the pionner in my tank.

BTW i have a yellowtang, purple tang and sailfin tang together. Planning to add a powder blue once my nitrates is control.

Any bros or sis out there who can advise also on how to keep different species tangs together.....

me added me YT mths after I introduce me 1st tang, a blue tang. Never had problem leh. Read somewhere need to introduce new fishes at low light, i.e. while they're sleeping. Enuff hiding place oso critical. But me think basically me blue tang bo chap new tank mates. Now both tangs are growing happily in me tank:)

Cheers,:D

• SRC Member
hi guys,i wonder why some people have their tangs e.g yellow or purple..live happily together.. or 2 yellow and 2 purple tangs together.. wun they fight?

i added a purple tang into my tank many mths ago and my resident brown tank bullied it.. i added a power brown tang at that time too..and my purple tang stress it.. isit because of insufficent hiding place? or what reason?

do i have to catch them all up and put all into the tank together?

and also a friend of mine lost his kole tang after 2weeks,the tang dont seem to feed at any food only pecking on rocks and algae.. i heard form a lfs that kole tang actually feed on algae..and after there is no more algae it will starve and die is that true?

Sigh! My kole tang has not been eating also......only peck on LR! :(:fear: The rest, blue, brown, yellow, sailfin, power brown are all eating lettuce happily! :D

My yellow occasionally will give chase to the brown but only when it comes to food..... :lol:

I think Wei Leong should be the most qualify person to give us some advise!!! Bro....need your enlightenment......... ;)

Hmmm, IMO, there shouldn't be that many tangs in the average 5ft tank.

Just because Wei Leong has squeezed in that many tangs into one tank doesn't mean that if he can do it, everyone else can.

I believe he is going to let go of some because of aggression issues.

I don't think you'll like to see all your money disappear because of ick outbreak due to stress amongst your tangs right?

Remember that your marine tank is supposed to be an oasis for your fishes.... not a torture chamber. ;)

• SRC Member

The Sohal Tang is a tough nut whereas the Achilles is the toughest and must say that they are stunning beautiful fish but very aggressive by nature.

Likewise, you can't have a Powder Blue in the same tank with a Achilles.

Putting them in the same tank is asking for trouble and although you can a "lord of the tank" of many species, it is advisable only to have a single fish of a given species in a tank.

Of course they are exceptions like the Regal and Yellow Tangs which are most likely to thrive in groups in the aquarium tank ie best to keep at least 5 fishes which should be introduced at the same time.

aquatronica7na.gif

People Will Forget What You Said.

People Will Forget What You Did.

But People Will Never Forget,

How You Make Them Feel.

• SRC Member

And lots of luck! Once had a very peaceful Desjardinii. Was very tolerant of all his tankmates.

Had horrible luck with yellow/ purple tangs, which is why I'll never buy them ever again... eugh... whacks everything i put in.

Diff individuals have diff characters, of course, diffused aggresion helps. To avoid aggression from my flame angel, i added my flameback and potter's together. Worked well for me :)

• SRC Supporter

i have read in some articles they actually mention adding the tangs all together or do a rescape after adding a new tang when there is a resident tang in there.. this is quite difficult to achive..

but by adding 2-3tangs at once,wouldnt the tank be unable to cope with the bioload?

unless we cage all of them up and then releasing into the tank all together? sounds kinda weird.?

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed