SRC Reef ID Quiz #8,

wat's a mola mola?

anyway, FUEL....ur avatar very ###### leh...not for the underaged....ehehehehe

It's a sunfish. Hmm..nothing wrong with my avatar wat..only one gecko biting the neck of another.. :angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

And the answer is.....

An Oarfish!!!

The Oarfish is reported to be the longest of all fishes. It has a ribbon-like body that has been reliably documented to grow to 8m in length, however specimens up to 17m in length have been reported.

It is metallic silver with blotches and wavy markings on the body, and pink or red fins.

This species has a concave head profile and a highly protrusible mouth (a characteristic of the order Lampridiformes). It has a dorsal fin that runs the entire length of the body, but lacks an ###### fin. There are tiny spines projecting laterally off each caudal and pelvic fin ray.

The derivation of the common name is uncertain. It may refer to the oar-shaped body, or the long oar-like pelvic fins, or possibly to reports that as the fish swims the pelvic fins scull the water like oars. The pelvic fins are clearly visible in the upper images.

People most often see Oarfish washed up on beaches. Encounters with live Oarfish are rare. They are sometimes seen on the surface, and this may contribute to tales of sea serpents.

The Oarfish is found worldwide in all tropical and temperate marine waters. It is thought to live at depths between 20-200m, where it feeds largely on invertebrates and fishes.

Although several species of oarfishes have been described, there is now believed to be only one species.

post-7-1089652633.jpg

A 4m long Oarfish washed ashore at Anna Marie Island, South of Tampa Bay, Florida, March 2002. The fish had been cut, presumably by a boat's propeller. The damage can be seen towards the tail of the fish.

But here's an eyewitness account:

Mark,

Just a comment regarding the oarfish postings from Anna Marie island, Florida.

I was there.

The fish was intact and swimming. It was not cut in two by a boat propeller.

It swam along the coast for a mile or so. I followed it. It seemed a goner, but then it seemed like it was ok.

Another bystander tried to pick it up while it was still swimming and the fish broke in two pieces. It was incredible that the bony structure could not support it's weight.

Then as the fish started to expire, it expelled what I thought were thousands of eggs.

L. Pfaender

9 July 2002 .

post-7-1089653349.jpg