What's your tank temperature?

FuEl

I just dismantled my tank today. Return pump offline. Skimmer pump offline. Lights offline. Fans offline too. And now my water temperature is 26 degrees celcius only! Maybe tomorrow morning check again..maybe can hit 25 degrees? :evil:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Comfirm will hit 25 degree in the morning... Hehe... Experience it before... Your LS all sold liao huh...

Hmm..LS will be clearing in the next few days. Any unsold fish bring to LFS lor. Then I will kill my rocks in freshwater. If need to buy more liverock then I will end up killing them also. Murderer of rocks....sounds cruel huh.. :evil:

Die die lor... No need market prawn to start cycling liao. Anyway..bacteria multiply very fast. They will double their population in just a matter of hours. Add some starter livesand and unkilled liverock and I'm going to have my first livestock in within a week. :angel::ph34r: No high bioload stuff like tangs,etc that is. :D

• SRC Member

something to ponder here...

understand that having an external pump would mean that 1c or 2c lower in water temperature because the POWEr/WATT do not get transfered into the water. That's what i thought...

a couple of months ago, i was doing some testrun on my md-55. it's was left to run for 24hrs. the next day, i've noticed that the water flow of the flex tube was being restricted(overbent). the MD-55 was warm, kinda like 35-36c(maybe more) and to my surprise, my water temperature was registering at 34c!!!!

does this mean that eventhough your pump is an outsump unit, the heat exchange in the pump itself can get dissipated into the water?

my new tank is coming this week end. I'll have 2 MD-55 running on it. 1 for the skimmer and the other for the return pump. Now, I'm getting a lil bit worried. Think, may need to get a better chiller.

via radiation and conduction, I don't see why not.

Hmm..by right the heat liberated by the external MD55 should be released into the surrounding atmosphere...unless your pump is in a cabinet or something with low ventilation?

understand that having an external pump would mean that 1c or 2c lower in water temperature because the POWEr/WATT do not get transfered into the water. That's what i thought...

a couple of months ago, i was doing some testrun on my md-55. it's was left to run for 24hrs. the next day, i've noticed that the water flow of the flex tube was being restricted(overbent). the MD-55 was warm, kinda like 35-36c(maybe more) and to my surprise, my water temperature was registering at 34c!!!!

does this mean that eventhough your pump is an outsump unit, the heat exchange in the pump itself can get dissipated into the water?

my new tank is coming this week end. I'll have 2 MD-55 running on it. 1 for the skimmer and the other for the return pump. Now, I'm getting a lil bit worried. Think, may need to get a better chiller.

I'm having the same issue as you do. :angry:

I'm running an external Resun pump to drive my skimmer... but when I feel the water running out from my skimmer (a Weipro 2011), it feels warm!!! When before my external pump was running, temp was doing about 1-2 degrees lower! :blink:

Now my temp is constantly hovering around the 28-29 degrees region. Sigh~~~ :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

fuel,

it's open air. when the flexi tube was restricted. the water flow was low, md55 had to work harder because of the pressure buildup from the restricted flow. surprisingly, that causes the heat from the pump to be transfered into the water.

this shouldn't have happened right ? since the md55 have a fan to blow the hot air. hmm... so, not sure if it's correct to conclude that external pumps does dissipate heat into the tank. How much when you compare to internal/insump pump? i do not know... whether does the heat exchange is negligeable or not, i do not know...

• SRC Member

I had excetly same though as your. So when I decide for closed loop , I choose external pump ( Resun King 4 ).

Running with SCWD and external pump, so I managed to take out Eden 288 and other PH.

However after a few day, my water temp is still the same or a few time higher. I was wonder why ? Weather ? ...

After finding through, I notice my external pump do heat up the water b4 pump back to the tank.

I didn't encounter 34-35 , but did reach to 30 at point of MH on.

So my conclution is external pump do heat up the water indirectly. Just wonder if I put external pump in the bowl of water so he could cool himslef.

Any1 tried

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

If you put your hands on the resun MD40 and MD55 (the MD55 is worst) you'll noticed how get it is. But if you get an iwaki MD55 then it is not as hot. So I guess there is a difference. The Iwaki has a larger fan so helps to cool down.

Get a more efficient pump that runs cooler in the first place will help.

I tried to use my oceanfree 9000 internally and externally before and there is not really a big difference in my chiller run time :P