bubble_gum's 2ft reef

bubble_gum

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hey, bubble see that you're having fun and doing well going at a 2 ft tank. B)

I see that your tank is unique cause it has no sand. Is there a reason behind this? Or you see no need for it? Cheers :D

• SRC Member

hmm.. actually hor, barebottom will make the dirt and detritus stand out more. ease of siphoning I agree lah. If you do regular siphoning of detritus then barebottom is better but if you let detritivores do the job then no point. barebottom looks nice when clean.. but a bit dangerous leh.. the rocks if not strategically placed might exert too great a pressure on the base glass. if a layer of sand is present then it will help spread out the pressure. also, sand acts as a filtration media as well.

not sure how no sand will help the ich problem(ich parasite hides in sandbed too?!?) or enhance water quality though. AP can explain? sorry me noob. :P

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
Hey, bubble see that you're having fun and doing well going at a 2 ft tank. B)

I see that your tank is unique cause it has no sand. Is there a reason behind this? Or you see no need for it? Cheers :D

yup bare btm....dun see a point... a small tank will look ugly with a deep sand bed :sick: if i just have a shallow sandbed, will be difficult for me to syphon deritus.

yes a shallow sandbed will look better honestly and doesnt make deritus so obvious :) BUT im doing weekly water changes religiously but nw im doing 2x weekly as my setup is still quite new ;) testing water params 2x a week for the next month :lol::lol:<_< when doing my weekly water changes... syphoning deritus will be a breeze as its very obvious :rolleyes: even easier tt my tank is right nest to my toilet :lol:

no deritus build up means less nirtate and weekly water changes means even less nitrates and gg fishless even means even less nitrates :P

lightingwise im still un happy abt it as i plan to add move t5s.... 6 the max but u have to consder that my tank is only 10 inches wide ;) probbably adding more t5s

ard nex sept as a birthday treat for myself B) im quite happy with bro michealiu as the t5set made by him is really neat and tidy and looks like i bought it from the shop :eyebrow: the moonlight gives a very stunning shimmering effect at night :yeah:

bro raymond ant rock falling... it happened aredi but no worries... none of the pieces are more then half a kg :P only the btm ones are heavy :erm:

anyways im quite happy i didnt go with my upgrades as nw i can afford to buy saflert testkits and rawaphos :lol:

• SRC Member
hmm.. actually hor, barebottom will make the dirt and detritus stand out more. ease of siphoning I agree lah. If you do regular siphoning of detritus then barebottom is better but if you let detritivores do the job then no point. barebottom looks nice when clean.. but a bit dangerous leh.. the rocks if not strategically placed might exert too great a pressure on the base glass. if a layer of sand is present then it will help spread out the pressure. also, sand acts as a filtration media as well.

not sure how no sand will help the ich problem(ich parasite hides in sandbed too?!?) or enhance water quality though. AP can explain? sorry me noob. :P

bro.Raymond.....I notice that a deep sand bed will be host to many detrivores and other unwanted parasites as well. With their micro larva stage the actual deep sand bed can be a haven for them to breed and produce. Thats why sometimes your fish may recover and all of a sudden come up again with the same Ich problem. My FOWLR....has a bare bottom and using those normal air driven skimmers with no U.V. or Ozonizer and not a sign of Ich on my fishes. Bare bottoms are alot more cleaner for sure.... ;)

• SRC Member

So looks like DSB isn't all that good lah. :D Just for looking nice thats all. Hmm... Interesting points you guys made. guess I would try a bare bottom setup with my 3footer. Cause I rear Discus and I keep them bare bottom too haha! Not much of a problem and I love ###### out all the "s**t" and crap with my 2 inch hose.

• SRC Member
and bare bottoms will allow you to blast the water flow up without fears of sandstorms etc etc...

yeah thats what I was thinking for my tank now....the sandbed doesn't really help in anyway with reducing NO3......thinking of leaving just a thin layer so can blast my Tunze full force and there will definitely not be any detritus after that.... :lol: