Roidan's Reef (III)

roidan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the RD12m3 vs the Iwaki 100RT-2

can definitely see the difference between pressure rated and non pressurated pumps.....for low running cost, RD12m3 wins hands down with 115W whereas the Iwaki 100RT-2 is in the region of 300W++

any point after *2.5m worth* of head the iwaki takes over....and the 12m3 flow rate drops off further

thus for those with a simple direct vertical return from sump to tank, the red dragon is great as we seldom hit 2.5m distance from base of sump to entry point in tank...

but for those that plumbs through elbows, Tees, valves and distances.....it is very easy to pass the 2.5m worth of head loss...in that case...the iwaki doesn't disappoint with it's gradual drop in flow rate despite facing resistance

post-34-1095938343.jpg

wow...great info. Thanks. BTW, are you going to do a comparison on the capital cost versus running cost for Red dragon compare to Iwaki? I'm curious how long can one run on MX100 to pay for a RD.

interested to know too.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

draft calculations show 22.2 months for both to meet at equivalent point...

Red dragon 12m3...high initial cost but lower running cost...

Iwaki MX100.....lower initial cost but higher running cost...

about 22.2 months is the cut-off.....after 22.2months..then you slowly save money as each day/month/year passes.....before 22.2 months....the iwaki is cheaper....

the 22.2 months is subjective due changes in prices of Red dragons and Iwaki pumps ;)

yeah...the red dragon has an IC chip to lower the wattage when the flow drops due to high head....but then again....end up getting less flow isn't it and working against one of the best selling point of the RD - very high flow...end up reducing wattage at the expense of high flow performance

anyway..for a straight vertical ascension up from sump to tank....i also support 12m3 or 14m3 :)

It's the way that pump works and nothing to do with the IC chip. IF you refer to the iwaki brochure you'll see the electrical consumption vs flow chart as well.

ahhh.....

okok....

the IC chip used for pump protection in other aspects ah..

i think i also get a RD 12m3 next time when planning a new tank to pumb water right up without going through all the flow-eating elbows,valves and mazelike pipeworks :D

oh yeah...then also comes to the question of longevity....there is still a question mark on how long can the RDs last pass their warranty....i am a great fan of german engineering precision but it's a new product that hasn't gotten much usage mileage yet.

as for iwakis....they are made to work under harsh chemical fluid conditions and ready testimonials of their longevity and reliability :)

wa..the graph shows MX100 running 250W at peak?

wow..better than i expected :)

if you notice, at low resistance head (i.e. high flow rates)...the MX100 consume about equal wattage as MX70.......very very very interesting phenomenon

okok....who has an AT now?

can form an AT support group

Hon (since September 2003--- :yeah: 1 YEAR!)

Roidan (since April 2004)

Weileong (since April 2004) => got it on 29th April so still made it for Apr 04 lol.

status update as on 23/9 still kicking

jd_n (?)

planetg (?)

danano (?)

tat's why i say very weird...dun tell me it turbocharges itself under 50Hz condition...lol..

just kidding lah....i still think it runs at 350W although the sticker and your graph says otherwise....

better expect more consumption and overrate than to lower my expectations and kill myself when the next bill comes :lol:

• SRC Member

can form an AT support group

Hon (since September 2003--- 1 YEAR!)

Roidan (since April 2004)

Weileong (since April 2004) => got it on 29th April so still made it for Apr 04 lol.

planetg (since 30 June 2004)

status update as on 23/9 still kicking

jd_n (?)

danano (?)

• SRC Member

ahhh.....

okok....

the IC chip used for pump protection in other aspects ah..

i think i also get a RD 12m3 next time when planning a new tank to pumb water right up without going through all the flow-eating elbows,valves and mazelike pipeworks :D

oh yeah...then also comes to the question of longevity....there is still a question mark on how long can the RDs last pass their warranty....i am a great fan of german engineering precision but it's a new product that hasn't gotten much usage mileage yet.

as for iwakis....they are made to work under harsh chemical fluid conditions and ready testimonials of their longevity and reliability :)

Is is a good question. How long can the RD run....if it only runs for 2-3 year "chiat lat" liao. :)

BTW, anyone knows if a Resun is as reliable as Iwaki?

So you are running 4 x MX100? I will really like to see how fast the skimmate is collected. :)

BTW, anyone knows if a Resun is as reliable as Iwaki?

This one you gotta ask me.

Dunno if I am suay or I am lucky... well if you don't want to wake up with a chao tar pump then better get a real iwaki :P

See this thread if you've missed it.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22316

Later wait changi private house featured in the news then you know :P

• SRC Member

This one you gotta ask me.

Dunno if I am suay or I am lucky... well if you don't want to wake up with a chao tar pump then better get a real iwaki :P

See this thread if you've missed it.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22316

Later wait changi private house featured in the news then you know :P

Wah.....that's scary man... Wait kanna chao tar house then my wife will kill me. :)

Better start looking around for the real Iwaki MD55 then. :) May be have to look for the tiger airway ticket liao. :)