Roidan's Reef (III)

roidan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

patrick:

whenever got new addition, sure will fight...

my yellow tang will be the first to bully the newbie...now maybe the sohal....i haven't added new tangs to the main system ever since sohal turned bully against sailfin..haha

its a matter of how long before they get used to each other..days? weeks? and it depends whether the newbie is strong enough to fight off the bullies and yet eat and survive and fight off ich...yes....i do have slight ich in my system...but not affecting my tangs much as you can see from the pics :)

will intro my atlantic blue maybe next month or so, if it can survive till next month that is ;)

have to start a strict quarantine routine for new additions liao :)

• SRC Member

Bro Roidan, have to admit your AT is a beauty. BTW, can buy insurance on fish one mair?

For the quarantine system, will it defeat the purpose if it is connected to the same sump? For tangs, what size of quarantine system is recommended? Can 2ft tank do the job?

What about using egg crate to build a betta box and put inside the main tank. Can this be considered quarantine?

Thanks,

Patrick

planetg,

thanks...yours is also very beautiful, i had eyes for it the moment i saw it but got nowhere to put it...glad you finally got it also, at least i can go see it when i am your place :)

alfa,

thanks, try another AT again when your other tangs are more or less cleared of ich....rest awhile, let the ich population be at low levels before you try the next AT...i think by now its quite impossible to totally get rid of ich as your current fishes will be host for the ich, cycle after cycle...the best solution for you is to make sure the ich population stay low these few months :)

patrick,

my meaning of *insurance* is....shall i add another 12x turbo twister to the system.. :P

yeah..if connected to the same sump...it is not quarantine already, become isolation tank instead....similarly...eggcrate or betta box in the main tank can only be considered as isolation, not quarantine :)

i have a tank in my room and i just set up another tank in another room as quarantine....maybe next time i can quarantine fishes in my room and quarantine corals in the other room :lol:

yeah, when the system and fishes are more or less stable, there are more to lose, so it's better to be kiasu and start strict quarantine routine :)

• SRC Member

I agree with roidan...once kenna outbreak..will almost forever stay in the system..

i install 12x UV also still have some ick now and then...all my new additions sure kenna...but just hope they can pull thru with garlic food..

my atlantic still having slight ick....same for the royal gramma...but the latter is eating well already..

yeah..things like uv or ozone cannot totally eradicate ich because they can only kill what is passing through the uv chamber or ozone chamber (ie ozone connected skimmer), at best, they can only kill such free floating ich in the water column...but we must know that those free floating in the water column only constitute a part of the ich cycle...

so the cycle goes on and on and on and all we can do is to reduce the number of ich in the free floating stage so that they dun really get into a massive geometric progessive population that leaves even the healthiest fishes no chance....

by reducing the free floating stage, this means that less will eventually become adult stage, which also means less free floating stage larvae again..

it is a vicious cycle....and dun think because your fish body does not show the dots or it is not scratching means there is no ich in the system...chances are the level of infection is low and just waiting for a comeback if one gets too complacent

• SRC Member

Roidan, will definately let the system rest without any new Tang addition for at least 6 months.. Read that the ICH cycle and populations will diminish with time as the fishes gain more and more immunity to it.

Thinking of catching my tangs and other fishes and placing all of them in a hospital tank for a month or 2 for the tank to be sortof fishless..

• SRC Member

I ever heard that if you don't have any fish in the reef tank and the tank is fully stock with coral. Leave it for 2-3 months and the ich will slowly die off since there is no host to attach. After that, only add fish that are quarantine and you will never see ich again.

The question is, if I have a fully stocked reef tank, and a few ich resistant fishes, can I wait for 2-3 months with the ich resistant fishes, and will the ich be wipe out too?

Alfa, one problem even if you remove the fishes to another tank. Unless you dose medication if not how are you going to get rid of the ich completely? Tangs are not so medication friendly IMHO.

If you drop salinity then why dun you remove your corals since you don't have so many of them for the moment then drop salinity in your main tank? That will cause the fishes much less stress as they do not go thru the stress of getting netted out transfer to new tank then 1-2 months later get net out again and transfer to the new tank.

• SRC Member

Patrick, most of the fishes will have partial immunity meaning that no visible signs of ich but they do carry the parasite in low levels but it will explode as soon as a non-resistant fish in introduced to the tank

Best is to remove the fishes and place them in a hospital tank with copper to fully eradicate ICH parasites being hosted.

A more or less fishless tank will be free of ICH after about 2 months

Don't try to guess lar, cannot reveal hor else really wait pple think I print $$$$. Keep quiet keep quiet. I got new toy but this time I won't show pple liao :P

Actually today I got option to buy or not to buy and been thinking of it since I saw it at EAN on sunday but today just pop by and butahan bought it liao.

Somemore bargain like hell ah.

yeah..dun let ich takeover the tank and destroy the fun of this hobby...

if you are a coral person..then its ok...but if you are a fish person like i am...then to see a tank of ich striken fish is damn unbearable..

actually if u remove all the fishes from the main system...after a few months, we can be pretty sure that no more ich in the system as no hosts for it...the ich population die a natural death...

but when u bring over the fishes to the quarantine....somehow ich will still reproduce as your fishes will bring the ich over....unless, you use copper treatment or hyposalinity which may or may not kill 100% of the ich cycle....

you may also end up killing your fishes which cannot tahan the copper treatment or hyposalinity..

but if you do nothing to the quarantine tank, all the fishes will just continue to be hosts for ich, just in a different tank....and even when you see no more ich on your fish and try to put back into your main tank....

you may be fooled, there are still some ich not visible and there the cycle goes again in the main tank and you give up....

all these are hypothetical assumptions... :lol:

• SRC Member

other than the new skimmer on board...what else can burn a small hole in your pockets...

alr bought ur red ah beng dragon pump..

what else..

whahah

no need much brain cells lah..

whahahh

• SRC Member
yeah..dun let ich takeover the tank and destroy the fun of this hobby...

if you are a coral person..then its ok...but if you are a fish person like i am...then to see a tank of ich striken fish is damn unbearable..

actually if u remove all the fishes from the main system...after a few months, we can be pretty sure that no more ich in the system as no hosts for it...the ich population die a natural death...

but when u bring over the fishes to the quarantine....somehow ich will still reproduce as your fishes will bring the ich over....unless, you use copper treatment or hyposalinity which may or may not kill 100% of the ich cycle....

you may also end up killing your fishes which cannot tahan the copper treatment or hyposalinity..

but if you do nothing to the quarantine tank, all the fishes will just continue to be hosts for ich, just in a different tank....and even when you see no more ich on your fish and try to put back into your main tank....

you may be fooled, there are still some ich not visible and there the cycle goes again in the main tank and you give up....

all these are hypothetical assumptions... :lol:

What you said make sense. Even removing or quaranting the fish does not guarantee ich free. Unless you dose a lot of copper in the quarantine tank, but this may kill the fish too.

Just when you think that the fish is ich free, and put it into the main tank. As long as there is 1 small ich, the whole cycle will start again.

May be the best way is to have 2 separate tank. One FOLWR and one reef. The FOLWR can be at hyposalinity so ich got no chance in the long run to survive. Another way is to buy ich resistant fish only. hehehe