SPS

• SRC Member
Was wondering for SPS,

What kinds of livestock would be recommended or what kind of livestock is too be avoided......

errrrrr u really wanna know?

no angels, and no softies! softies release chemicals when stress or for survival. these chemical will cause chemical warfare n the sps will lose out. the chemicals olso inhibit the growth of sps, so they grow very slowly.

most angels only pick at sps when the sps is not healthy or dying. so as long as theres a angel in the tank, there is very little chance of ur sps recovering be4 being eaten.

• SRC Member

errrrrr u really wanna know?

no angels, and no softies! softies release chemicals when stress or for survival. these chemical will cause chemical warfare n the sps will lose out. the chemicals olso inhibit the growth of sps, so they grow very slowly.

most angels only pick at sps when the sps is not healthy or dying. so as long as theres a angel in the tank, there is very little chance of ur sps recovering be4 being eaten.

Of course I want to know.... :blink:

No softies??? then also no mushrooms .... :(

• SRC Member

Whoever said softies are for beginners is not wrong. Softies are more tolerant because the reefer has less water parameters to worry about. Most softies grow very fast too, giving great satisfaction to some.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Jus checking on this so called colouring up of Acros....

Was wondering does a Acro colour up upon more light???

And does the colours change... lets say from 'green' when bought to 'blue' if exposed to more intense lighting???

Thanks!

Hi Phang

Base on my limited experience, for acros to colour up

1 Lighting Intensity and colour.

Wrong lighting will cause the acros to turn brown.

2 The acros must also be the type that have colours (blue, red, green) in the 1st place.

If you have a green acros, chances of it turning blue is very slim.

They normally turn brown when 1st introduced, and later (depend on the tank enviroment) it will colour up.

3 Nutrient in the water.

Too much and the acros will stay brown cos of the algae in the tissue.

Acros are found in nutrient poor water.

• SRC Member

Morgan,

Started out with my first Acro....

was supposed to be green but is now brown...very brown..

"I want it back in GREEN COLOUR!!!!"

Got a small frag of Poci...

The frags are now in my frag tank waiting for my mains........

will see how they turn out before proceeding with more SPS...

• SRC Member

Phang,

I think greens come back easily under Iwasaki. Is it a wild colony? If it is it can take up to months for it to adapt to the new light.

I've got some pink, purple, blue and tri-coloured that go brown after being added to the tank, but the colours returned after a few weeks and after 3 months the colour is still changing. It's part of the fun.

Frags adapt and keep colour better.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

The best way to tell that the colour is changing is by taking pictures and comparing them over time. You can't really tell just by looking because the changes are quite subtle.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Got some acros a few inches under my lights, mostly brownish... hoping to see colour in a few weeks, (months? :D

She'll probably buy me a few cans of flourescent pink, purple and green spraypaint and say it's much cheaper if I spray my corals instead!!!!

:blink::wacko:-_-:(

• SRC Member

Tell your wife that a 400W cost about the same to setup as a 175W, so might as well make your money go further. 400W MH bulbs are cheaper than 175 sometimes. Hide the utility bills. :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

AT

I think flourescent colour spray paint is the cheapest way to go. If they fade, just give it another coat. :lol::lol::lol:

Phang

Is your acro under MH lighting?

Is it a wild colony?

If it is a frag from someone tank, then the colour will come back pretty quick.

If it is a wild colony, then who knows when they will decide to colour up. I bought a blue tip sometime back and it has turn to dark shit brown. I am still waiting for it to colour up. <_<

• SRC Member

Morgan,

The Acros are still with in the sump.... I know I know, they need intense lighting and I'm pushing for them to be up there with my 250W/intended 400W Iwasakis ......

But circumstances are preventing it from happening quickly....:(

The Acros are actually a colony from someone else tank... and its already brown there ....

Jus wondering, if Acros had been brown for "quite" a while, will they still colour up upon given the right conditions...??

BTW, does these happens to other SPS, like montiporas, pavonas or styloporas??

• SRC Member

While we're on this, does anyone know if I can convert my 150W MH to a 400W MH? How much is a 400W MH pendant going for?

Running cost can still tahan for 400 W lah..... 8 hours per day x 400W x 30 days = 96 KW Hours= 96 x $0.1651 per KWH = $15.85 per month.

heat wise, will it generate a lot more heat? That's my main concern as no point if it becomes like an oven in the house.

Morgan,

The Acros are still with in the sump.... I know I know, they need intense lighting and I'm pushing for them to be up there with my 250W/intended 400W Iwasakis ......

But circumstances are preventing it from happening quickly....:(

The Acros are actually a colony from someone else tank... and its already brown there ....

Jus wondering, if Acros had been brown for "quite" a while, will they still colour up upon given the right conditions...??

BTW, does these happens to other SPS, like montiporas, pavonas or styloporas??

Hi Phang

Lighting is 1 of the factor affecting the colours of sps.

Yes it will colour back over time. Not too sure the brown will change but new growth will.

I think this also affect other species as well.