YUp.... when RTN happens (and it can and will without warning and without apparent reasons)... the only thing you can do is to frag off what's still healthy and discard the affected parts).

Might be contagious..had my birdnest colony rtn on me a few days back (My fault as I handled it after handling other corals, including zoanthids)..a birdnest frag downstream of it started to rtn today...now half the skeleton is exposed.. And to think it had colored up deep pink already.. :(:cry2:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

sorrie.....newbie question....i'm still confuse by the different between RTN and STN.....what are the signs to differeniate the 2?

if my understanding is correct, RTN happens very quickly...so how to frag the affected fast enough to save the rest of the sps?

Just got 1 frag RTN no me last night because the pump to my chiiler when down again......

• SRC Member
Lesson to learn....Always invest in reputable brands. For Pumps, go for Ehiem.

hehehe....acutally its not the pump fault....but where i place it.....

I'm not running a sump and I've put it directly into the tank with a diy pre-filter....unfortuantely sponge seems to degenrate over time, despite washing twice a week resulting in water not getting to the pump..... :P

stupid me, lost a small frag this way.....not too sure if there are any other damage to the other SPS as i spotted 2 of them turing white at the tips.... :( ....think its a good idea to frag off the white part? because i've seen them recover before....

• SRC Member

At the tip is easy to frag. Just break off. It may recover, but if you see it moving down the branch, then quicky break to save the rest. If bottom up, then die liao.

I think (marine) therefore I am