Any idea on dosing kalkwasser

• SRC Member

The best and cheapest form of calcium and alkalinity supplement.

Can be mixed using tapwater and is self-purifying.

Problem is that dose is determined by rate of evaporation for system.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Been dripping kalk for a week,... initially had problems controlling the amount to use for top up and got a emergency situation when pH shot to 8.6 so becareful really.

However, I saw this on seachem's calcium label " Unlike limewater (kalkwasser), reef advantage calcium does not have a caustic pH and will not deplete magnesium." I do have problems perking up my calcium levels recently, no matter how much calcium i add in, it remains at 330....issit really due to the reason that kalk depleted my magnesium? I do not have a test kit though....

• SRC Member

ckpeh,

I'm not good with DIY, so I can't advise you on how to make a nielsen reactor.

newdamsel,

What's your alkalinity and pH? That seachem stuff is either calcium gluconate or chloride, should be quite potent to raise calcium levels.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

dkH is at 9, and pH is at ard 8.2... dunno leh, have been adding a teaspoon every other day, but still it stays at 330.... when i mean no testkit, is that i do not have a alk test kit and a magnesium test kit... have been dripping kalk for 2 weeks, not one. typo on the other msg, after the 8.6 incident, did a 50% water change...

thats why i suspect got magnesium problems :(

• SRC Member

newdamsel,

How big is your tank? I think you need to add much more than that, around 10-20 teaspoon per day for a week to get the calcium level back up, so you might find it easier to do a large water change first.

onghm,

An airtight container won't drip, a small hole to allow air in to equilibrate will do. That's why it's best to use freshly prepared kalkwasser, preferably done one hour before dripping for max saturation.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
onghm,

An airtight container won't drip, a small hole to allow air in to equilibrate will do. That's why it's best to use freshly prepared kalkwasser, preferably done one hour before dripping for max saturation.

Thanks Tanzy.

Read somewhere that kalk is best drip from an airtight container.

If not, CO2 will get into the mixture and produce calcium carbonate.

any comments ?

Thanks

It doesn't have to be airtight.

What should be done is to prevent air interaction with the kalk solution water surface.

Your drip container can be an open pail. All you need to put a closely fitted piece of round styrofoam sheet to float on the water surface... that's it!

• SRC Member

So how do you estimate the dosage from the evaporation rate? My tank evaporates about 1/2 a gallon a day... (ie: I top up using a 1 gallon apple juice bottle which is depleted every 2 days).

So how much kalk?? Equivalent, as in 1/2 gallon a day, dripped in??

• SRC Member
newdamsel,

How big is your tank? I think you need to add much more than that, around 10-20 teaspoon per day for a week to get the calcium level back up, so you might find it easier to do a large water change first.

onghm,

10~20 teaspoon~!!!! i using those chicken rice disposable spoons leh~! Maybe thats for a 4 ft with lotsa sps maybe??... ;) mine is only a humble 2 footer + 2 footer sump.. like you said, water change might be easier... but i just wanna know why such things will happen... sigh...

• SRC Member
So how do you estimate the dosage from the evaporation rate? My tank evaporates about 1/2 a gallon a day... (ie: I top up using a 1 gallon apple juice bottle which is depleted every 2 days).

So how much kalk?? Equivalent, as in 1/2 gallon a day, dripped in??

I think you answered your own question.

You should try to find out the rate of calcium depletion in your tank too.

newdamsel,

That's a tablespoon. A teaspoon is used to stir tea with (~5mL). If it is a 2' tank then just do a massive water change. I guess you'll never really know why. Might be magnesium depletion.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

No trouble at all.

Adding additives too quickly without adequate mixing in the tank can cause inbalances in the calcium and alk levels too.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Measure the calcium level of the water once and another time one day or three days later depending on the load of your tank. The difference in calcium level divided by number of days will give you the tanks's daily calcium consumption.

For example, initial reading was 450ppm, 3 days later it dropped to 420ppm, therefore daily consumption is about 10ppm.

To find out how much calcium your kalkwasser adds to your tank, measure the initial calcium level, drip kalk and measure the level again 24 hours later.

Calcium contributed by kalkwasser = (Level 24 hours later) - (Initial level) + (Daily consumption)

E.g. 450ppm - 440ppm + 10ppm = 20ppm

These simple calculations will give you a rough estimate and can be applied to calcium chloride or other supplements not just kalkwasser.

post-36-1093875548.jpg