Does a Softies Tank really need a chiller

Validator

• SRC Member

Hi All,

My dream is to have a marine tank with marine critters and softies only.  Considering that Softies are thought to be more forgiving to parameters, do I really need to have a chiller for my tank?

Still planning so have to think of the equipment I need to cater for.

Thank you.

You might want to share the placement of your tank. 

Also, In my experience I'm able to keep leather corals without chiller. 

But considering now I've chiller in my tank, leather do alot better with chiller and faster growth.

So yes, you might be able to do so depending where you place your tank and what is the room temperature.

Do note because you do not have chiller, equipment in your tank also produce heat thus might increase the temperature.

• SRC Supporter

It is possible if you take into consideration the equipment you will be using and placement of the tank and ideally keep the water temperature below 30.

For example, a DC pump run cooler than an AC pump, and led light is cooler than a T5 light ect.. maybe you want to list your equipment list here so that we can advise

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

Agree with the points above about keeping temperature below 30degC.

My experience with non chilled tank :

• Can keep some more tolerant zoanthids in such conditions. Some will melt. 
  • Can keep green star polyp (GSP)
  • Can keep forest fire cloves
  • Cannot keep Purple cespitularia

You can see some pictures in this post : https://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/142862-my-slice-of-nature-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=1298008

• Like 3

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Hi All, thanks for your replies.  I am actually at a very early stage of deciding on getting a salty tank after convincing the wife that I can do it with sustainable sources of livestock.  So I am still very much dreaming and have no equipment list to share but would basically be building a list of what I need as I discuss with fellow members on the forum. 

For now, I am leaning toward a red sea 200xl set up with the reefLED lights, wave makers as required.  Sumpwise I would have the skimmer, would love to put a refugium of sorts in there.  If I do decide to get a chiller I would probably go for one with the smaller footprint.

My planned location of the tank is about 1.5 m from the window in my living room, there isn't direct sunlight on that spot.  I do have a freshwater tank in the same living room, the water in the tank remains cool most of the time.  I don't really trust the cheapo thermometer that I bought earlier but it registers below 30 degrees all the time.

Coral wise, I am aiming for some easy to keep softies, some colorful zoas, Star Polyps, Xenias, maybe some cauliflowers(?), yuma and mushrooms. 

Appreciate any thoughts and opinions if any of my endevours could be foolhardy.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Hi Muzi, thanks.  I was just wondering because I saw some tanks and there didnt seem to be any mention of chillers so thought I would try asking.  Those things are so big and bulky.  :(  I would want a small footprint one if I do get one because the wife is already complaining that the space in the living room is getting smaller.

Edit Oh yes the cauliflowers are actually Kenya Trees, I forgot the name but they looked like cauliflowers to me.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

To whom it may concern,

I made an initial investment of roughly $380,000 on a binary option platform. After several transactions, I chose to withdraw my money because according to the website I had made a lot of profits, however the withdrawal was unsuccessful. I made several attempts in contacting them but it all failed. I made every effort and filed a report to recover my money by contacting the police department in charge of investigating fraudulent situations, but nothing was successful. Since my attempt with the police failed, I tried other possible means to make sure I recover my stolen crypto coin. I reached out to a hacker whose reviews I had read online; GLOBAL ACCESS RECOVERY, I contacted them through their email on: kbhacktools(AT)outlook(DOC)com and they came in handy at the right time. They rescued me from these shady investment schemes with the help of their top-notch hacking technique. I got my funds back as well as my peace of mind. If you need a reliable tech expert to help you recover all the money lost to internet scams, then I will advise you contact GLOBAL ACCESS RECOVERY with their details below;

Email: kbhacktools@outlook.com
Whatsapp: +1 (559) 593-1640

•  
 ETHICAL HACKER FOR HIRE,

HOW I WAS ABLE TO RECOVER MY LOST MONEY WITH THE HELP OF [ ROCKET SPEED RECOVERY HACKER ] 

I originally learned about bitcoin from an investor I met on Instagram. I thought the premise was great, so I decided to invest through the website. I began by making money through investments, and I continued to do so until the website vanished. I was unable to take out any money before the occurred, but fortunately, a friend of mine suggested ROCKET SPEED RECOVERY HACKER. He helped me get my entire money back and arrived right on schedule. He did an excellent job and was a pleasure to work with. It's difficult to believe, yet that is exactly what happened. We were able to receive our money back because of his diligent work. ROCKET SPEED RECOVERY, thank you so much for an assignment well done. 

WhatsApp .. +1 (269) 369–5436
Email.. rocketspeedrecoveryhacker@seznam.cz
Telegram..http://t.me/rocketspeedrecoveryhacker  
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

OPTIMISTIC HACKER GAIUS Has Recovered My lost Bitcoin

t.me/OPTIMISTICHACKERGAIUSS

•  Hacker Gaius is the best in recovery of lost bitcoin, I was scammed $342,830,05 in btc last week, luckily to me I saw someone testimonial review of how Optimistic hacker Gaius was able to recover his lost money so I decided to contact them through the WhatsApp number I saw on that review and they told me to send them a prove backing Up the funds that I lost, after I sent it to them they did not respond to me again, In the next two days they called me and told me that they have trace the wallet that stolen my money, I youth that it was a joke because I never believe that the money will be recovered and to my greatest surprise they ask me to send my wallet address to them and I do so, In the nest ten minutes my money was recovered and I paid them $42,000 in appreciation for what they did to me so Optimistic Hacker Gaius is highly Recommended lean more on their website.. https://optimistichackergaius.com

Telegram.. t.me/OPTIMISTICHACKERGAIUSS

WhatsApp +44 7376 740569

Email.. support@optimistichackergaius.com

Email..optimistichackergaius@seznam.cz

1000_F_164586743_0PkW3eOREQymacFcfPJaftFpIABMR3tI.jpg

Edited by Emma Ashley