Mouth brooder

• SRC Member

While I was feeding my fishes last night, I realised one of my cardinal fish wasn't eating, that's unusual cos it always chases BS like hell. On closer observation, I saw something that looks like eggs inside its mouth.

Want to know from the pros if there's any chance of raising the young? :thanks:

• SRC Member

It will hatch its fry in the mouth and release them when they are about the size of adult BS. However, if you have a tank with other fish, they will end up feeding them for a day.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Best way, if you have another tank, is to seperate them. When they hatch, take the adult out too and just keep the fry. You can then feed them on baby BS.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Baby fries need to be fed on live rotifers in a quiet environment where they can spot and chase them.

When they get much bigger, you can wean them to BBS, then to adult brineshrimp.

Good luck!!!

• SRC Member
Your tank looks good for hatching your cardinal.

Chris,

Few problems. First, how to catch it? fish trap is not going to work as the fish is not eating anymore. Secondly, I am suppose to transfer the fauna & flora to my new sump when it is ready(in about a week's time). Even if I can catch it with a net, which is quite impossible, I'm not sure if it will still hold on to the eggs in its mouth. :blink:

Dodo,

I suppose 'containment' is container. Thanks, but without any filtration system, what's the chance of survival? :thanks:

• SRC Member

bo lar...containment is like a tank...but the 5 sides are made of very fine net... :blink: it can be mounted inside your main tank by means of suction cup near the top of your tank :phone: hence your fries will not escape outside :angel:

• SRC Member
bo lar...containment is like a tank...but the 5 sides are made of very fine net... :blink: it can be mounted inside your main tank by means of suction cup near the top of your tank:phone: hence your fries will not escape outside :angel:

pai seh pai seh, I very sua koo :paiseh::D

Luckily never laugh at u. :P:pinch::sick:

First, help me solve the problem of how to catch the fish. :thanks:

• SRC Member

:paiseh: no experience wif cardinal fish....do they swim fast? do u thk u can catch them using a net? :unsure:

if not...use a plastic fish tank to lure into it lor(like wat Dino did)....i also have tat :D u wanna try :heh:

• SRC Member
:paiseh: no experience wif cardinal fish....do they swim fast? do u thk u can catch them using a net? :unsure:

if not...use a plastic fish tank to lure into it lor(like wat Dino did)....i also have tat :D u wanna try :heh:

Hey .......... dodo, who trying to catch the damsel wif the plastic tank?

Manage to get them? :unsure:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

My wife called it a submarine, for it can stay very still in the water without any movement, like floating, but if yr hand go in, bo ti liao. :blink:

Dino's method only works if the fish wants to eat, but with mouth full of eggs, what u think? :lol: