Do skimmers oxygenate the water?

Creetin

• SRC Member

yeap, the do oxyenate water....my skimmer when down on Sat......both blue tang and purple firefish died, my clown was near death, put in a air stone and was able to retrive the clown.....so i deduce that skimmer does oxyenate water....

Skimmers are like airstones, they introduce loads of tiny bubbles into the water and this water is returned back into the sump... logically they do oxygenate very well.

yeap, the do oxyenate water....my skimmer when down on Sat......both blue tang and purple firefish died, my clown was near death, put in a air stone and was able to retrive the clown.....so i deduce that skimmer does oxyenate water....

if u do not have a overflow system, then protein skimmer is especially important.

the splashing cause by the overflow create oxygen exchange from air n water..

also from the downflow pipe to your sump.

I used to run cannister, forgot to on my skimmer, quite a few fishes died. :(

• SRC Member

I have a internal overflow....it used to be enough with the same amount of fish, but now its seems that its not enough....

I suspect that as the tank become more and more mature, there are too many bacteria...thus tanking up all the oxgen....

Yup, oxygenation of saltwater in marine tanks is very important. IME, a marine tank will crash quite quickly compared to a freshwater one when there is a drop in oxygen.

Any form of treatment which affects oxygen levels must be supplemented with an airstone or a skimmer.

It is good to have good water circulation in a marine tank... don't skimp on powerheads or wavemaking devices.

IOS goes thru the IOS box creating some splash n oxygen exchange.

from the return flow pipe it goes into the sump box, the down force created plenty of bubbles upon hitting my filter media. should be enuff.

I also have my photoperiod for refugium to come at nite.

run a airstone if u running some medication in the tank to play safe.