ryz's New FOWLR

ryz

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yea always loved buterflies but never was able to keep any. now that I have my FOWLR :yeah:

one of the unidentified butt 3(I have 2 of them) has started to try to eat pellets. but seems to have some difficulty. take into mouth spit out again. will continue trying. The other one seems to be quite aggressive. Banishing him to the IOS compartment untill further notice :P:lol:

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

unidentified butt 2 dying... looks like I chose the wrong specimen. noticed that it had some white stuff by it's mouth after I introduce into tank and was breathing very hard, opening and closing it's mouth vigorously. Now I think chances of it surviving is slim. Wll update if it dies. sigh~

all others still healthy though. onthe unidentified butterfly 3 that was banished into the IOS was released back into tank. now seems to behave better. :D

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Hi, nice Butterfly tank! Had always wanted to set up a FOWLR with Butterflies and Angels! :yeah: but no $$ <_<

UB1 ?? maybe Chaetodon lineotus, Lined Butterfly? Guessing cos of the continuous black bar.

UB2 is Chaetodon vagabundus, Vagabond Butterfly

UB3 is possibly Chaetodon adiergastos, Bantayan Butterly looking at the colouration of the mask and the tail fin, but the specimen you have has patterns on its body which are more disorganized than the distinctly diagonal patterns of the pictures on my books.

Hi ryz, IcecruncherZ is correct, pic no 1 is a juvenile lineolatus somehow rate as very difficult to keep alive for any term of time, because it is classified as coral eating butterfly.

Pic no 2 is juvenile vagabundus, it is rate as 50-50 chance to survive in the tank, as it ussually easy to eat but the die without reason.

Pic no 3 is juvenile adiergastos, it is also rate as not easy to keep as it also feed mostly on coral and small amount on crustacea, but i have 1 at about your's size, it live for almost 2 months till now and still eating well on my DIY prepare food. Don't know how long it will survive in the tank.

Hi ryz, seen that you keep many delicate fish that actually shouldn't be keep in the tank. Especially you moorish idol, this fish is extremely difficult to keep, yes may be there are "very few" people that claim can keep moorish, but this story is still need to be prove. But, one thing for sure is almosty 99,999% of moorish will die either from bad water parameter, strike by diseases, and of course bad nutrition.

To keep butterfly in the tank you must know some rule :

1. You must know what you can buy and what you can't buy. Avoid coral eating species.

2. Buy a moderate size fish. Small or big b'fly is a bad choice.

3. Avoid cyanide fish, this is hard task but usually i use my feeling to choose if i can't suspect any strange mark or behaviour in the fish, as you know almost of all fish in indonesia are caught with cyanide, so through my years of fish keeping, i can a little bit "sense" a cyanide fish.

4. Don't mix b'fly with aggresive fish and a fish that will bullying your b'fly.

You dead vagabond is dead because of oodinium diseases, and i think it already in dangerous level, as it sign with heavy breath, it mean the parasites has been encounter to the gill, usually at this stage, most fish will not survive.

• SRC Member

yep vagabundus dead this morning. Anyway I know that moorish idol is a very demanding fish. I also admit that I bought on impulse :P:paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

Just wanted to try to save this one. see whether it can stay alive in my tank.

Hey guys thatnks for the id BTW. can you reccomend any butterflies that are easier to keep? Always wanted some aurigas but cannot find. What butterflies are easier? I'll try to get mine to feed. they are interested in pellets but can't seem to eat it. spit out after they take into their mouth. :cry:

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Long-nose butterfly, Sunburst butterfly are best bets.

These 2 can even be weaned onto flake!

Some other good butterflies, (costly and RARELY imported) are the red sea butterflies, Golden, Red-Sea Racoon and my personal favourite, the white-faced butterfly. All adjust well to captive conditions.

Good luck!

the one in the background is the one on the right in the previous picture... can anyone ID it???

unidentified butt 1

UFO 1 - lined butterflyfish (straight line up/down)

UFO 2 - vagabond buttferflyfish (half zig zag line)

UFO 3 - can't find in ID book. is it juv size or huge?

Hey guys thatnks for the id BTW. can you reccomend any butterflies that are easier to keep? Always wanted some aurigas but cannot find. What butterflies are easier?

Though most b'fly are coral eating fish, but there are still "plenty" good species to choose for tank environment, and there are :

Auriga, yellow tail b'fly, merten's b'fly, latticed b'fly, collare b'fly, saddled b'fly, red sea racoon b'fly, racoon b'fly, saddled back b'fly, double saddle back b'fly, black back b'fly, copperband b'fly, longnose b'fly, pyramid b'fly, and some expensive species golden mask b'fly, tinkery b'fly and burgess b'fly.

If you already have a mature tank, then you may try golden mask, it is a good fish, my golden eat only takes one night to eat prepare food. This fish really bold fish, eventhough when first acclimatize the golden are succumb by fungus, but after several days of fresh water bath and coppersafe bath, the fungus is dissapear. What makes me very impress with this fish is, during the medication, this fish shown no stress, as he start to eat again just about an hour later.

• SRC Member

Bought copperband and 2 aurigas from the Farm at mainland block C liao. all eating!!! Now my black backs and lineolatus eating mysis already. but my two adiergastos not sure whether they got eat or not... Sigh~... nvm... my two new aurigas and the copperband eating! :yeah:

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

put a cheap cheap dying opening brain in last night.. al the butterflies go whack it... the adiergastros especially(must've been starved for days).. This morning I see the brains has many parts of it's clean skeleton exposed! :yeah: they had a feast! haha

now feeding the butterflies on pellets, brine shrimps and mysis shrimps.

Live and Let Live