ryz's New FOWLR

ryz

• SRC Member

Yes!! Finally decided to go ahead with it!! See ppl's FOWLR see untill I gian already.. I'm setting up a 3 feet by 20" by 18" tank... no sump... I'm using Removable IOS... the IOS is 17" by 17" by 6" (length by height by breadth)

Need suggestions from you guys...

Which way do you guys suggest I place the IOS? Against the back glass in the centre or against the side glass(willtake off 6" from the viewing glass) or against the back glass by the side???

What Fishes should I keep?? Tank quite small... 3 feet only... Keep butterfly fishes?? Angels?? what do you reckon would be a good choice??

how much LR should I use?? use a few big pieces and go for zen look? or use more LR to build a wall structure to cover the back glass and IOS(will mean less swimming space for fishes also)??

What lighting should I use?? I'm thinking FL 3 feet. but I think also not cheap man... one set... want it to be bright.. maybe one tube of white and one tube of blue... but anyone got any cheap light set?? I think the last time I saw a light set like that cost almost $100!!! :sick:

Thinking maybe I put many Rocks of macro algae on the rocks and keep tangs?? good idea? or else what should I keep?? Maybe can keep some soft corals and sponges that dun need much light also haha... beautify the tank...

Live and Let Live

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

removable Internal Overflow System... it's basically a block lock... a cuboid... wwater flow in from the top into one compartment, passes into the next thru filtration media and all then gets pumped back inteo main tank... just like an IOS but it's not attached to the tank... can take out one.

Live and Let Live

Oh...

Which way do you guys suggest I place the IOS? Against the back glass in the centre or against the side glass(willtake off 6" from the viewing glass) or against the back glass by the side???

Place it at the back glass by the side would be pretty okaie...

What Fishes should I keep?? Tank quite small... 3 feet only... Keep butterfly fishes?? Angels?? what do you reckon would be a good choice??

I think Angels and Butterflies should be okaie...

how much LR should I use?? use a few big pieces and go for zen look? or use more LR to build a wall structure to cover the back glass and IOS(will mean less swimming space for fishes also)??

Go for the Zen look... More spacious but still provide some hiding place...

What lighting should I use?? I'm thinking FL 3 feet. but I think also not cheap man... one set... want it to be bright.. maybe one tube of white and one tube of blue... but anyone got any cheap light set?? I think the last time I saw a light set like that cost almost $100!!!

Go for PL if you wan to keep some Low light intensity corals... The FL light now should not cost that much... Last time i saw a 55w pl for only $30??? Cant remember liao...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

a 3 feet double tube FL light set not cheap le... 55w PL is 2 feet only... think 3 feet PL light more ex... maybe I get 3 feet PL with 2 x 24W... dunno how much.. Sigh~

IOS against back glass by the side?? oh... but like that need to cover it with LR right? If not will look weird... Unless I put at the centre against back glass??

Dunno leh... not a big fan of butterflies and angels... Think butterfly hard to feed right? Need to buy corals for them to eat? Then slowly wean them to wat??

Angels? Got any nice ones to reccomend?? Looking for cheap and nice looking fishes... haha sekali in the end go for damsel tank(cheap and colourful) :lol:

Reccomend me some specific nice fishes.. haha.. not too ex also hor.. :P

yep.. thinking of just getting a few pieces of LR and go for zen look also... quite nice

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

bought some butterflies and moorish today... nothing responding to food yet... not even my smelly smelly mix!! sigh~ they're pecking on some melting mushies and my zooanthids though.. hope they're eating.. weileong if you're reading this, what are you feeding your butterflies??? Brains?? can anyone suggest what to fed them? I tried to tempt them with mysis, cyclops mix. but they look at it only nv eat. how? :(:cry:

post-34-1087563959.jpg

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

dun dare to try. anyway I trying butterflies now. dunno whether tey'll starve to death or not. Think maybe I move a few softies over see whether they eat. anyone else got any suggestions on what to feed them??

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

oh I see.. hmm... I hope mine will start soon. Anyway I've got a few Unidentifiable butterfly fishes. hope you ppl can help me id them. I can only id the black back butterfly. here's the black back on the left. the one on the right has vertical lines running down it's body. will post a beter pic of it

post-34-1087566177.jpg

Live and Let Live