AP's Cube

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
my first clam.....in the new tank ;)

Sis...saw a lot of clams at Reef World for the past 2 weeks. Its either clams keeps coming in or the clams are 2 weeks old.

Got some nice specimens, I think with your good arm twisting skill should be able to get your 2nd or 3rd at a good price.

• SRC Member

Sis...saw a lot of clams at Reef World for the past 2 weeks. Its either clams keeps coming in or the clams are 2 weeks old.

Got some nice specimens, I think with your good arm twisting skill should be able to get your 2nd or 3rd at a good price.

really ah bro.Dardttg? Crocea , Squamosa and Maxxima? :blink: thought of getting a Squamosa for the right side of my tank....too much space left..... :lol:

• SRC Member
build up a colony of buttons/zoanathoids. they look very nice if they are nicely arranged. (=

yeah actually wanted to do that but some say that it effects the SPS...... :blink: got rid most of my softies and I am left with 2 colonies of mushrooms 2 colonies of buttons and 3 yuma's as in the recent picture.

I don't know. I don't keep SPSes so I wouldn't know. anything pertaining to it, I have no idea as well.

well try and see. it may be the close proximity issue. but I thought buttons/zoanathoids do not have toxins that they can release to sting other corals? hmm.

• SRC Member

AP, over time, zoos will spread and usually win in the battle with sps. That said, there no harm if you were to keep a few of your fav zoos on the sandbed. Just need to make sure they don't get the opportunity to attach and spread to other LR.

Your reef is coming along very nicely and now with your new lights... LFS beware! :yeah:

Does your MH provide enough coverage for your tank or do you plan on getting another set? Or supplement with T5s perhaps?

• SRC Supporter
I don't know. I don't keep SPSes so I wouldn't know. anything pertaining to it, I have no idea as well.

well try and see. it may be the close proximity issue. but I thought buttons/zoanathoids do not have toxins that they can release to sting other corals? hmm.

This is my experience regards the above..

I have zoos and acros situated on same piece of foothold and both seems to be doing well. only issue with the zoos is that they do grow enough to soon take over precious space that the SPS could use for added ground.

I do think that softies and SPS coule be allocated in a same reef except constant replenishment of GACs and efficent skimming would be a regular feature for such a reef.

One more issue is regards to the nutrient level in a reef. I do notice that in my previous SPS reef that softies don't do well and I thought that it might have to be due to the reef being nutient starved, a direction that many SPS or would be reefers would likely head towards.

• SRC Member
AP, over time, zoos will spread and usually win in the battle with sps. That said, there no harm if you were to keep a few of your fav zoos on the sandbed.  Just need to make sure they don't get the opportunity to attach and spread to other LR.

Your reef is coming along very nicely and now with your new lights... LFS beware! :yeah:

Does your MH provide enough coverage for your tank or do you plan on getting another set?  Or supplement with T5s perhaps?

Hi Danano, so the zoo's will in time be of a problem.... :o currently I have only 2 small colonies that are on the sandbed and not close to any LR's.

:thanks: for the compliments Dan...... :bow: with tank of the month I hope to acheive your sucess....really an inspiration.... :bow:

As for my MH....if I bring it up higher it will be able to cover the tank but loss of intensity will occour but initially I wanted to only keep about 30% or so of SPS but it's hard to predict what you think is enough in this hobby..... :lol: So maybe will supplement with T5's if need be..... :D

Appreciate your advise on this...... :bow:

• SRC Member

This is my experience regards the above..

I have zoos and acros situated on same piece of foothold and both seems to be doing well. only issue with the zoos is that they do grow enough to soon take over precious space that the SPS could use for added ground.

I do think that softies and SPS coule be allocated in a same reef except constant replenishment of GACs and efficent skimming would be a regular feature for such a reef.

One more issue is regards to the nutrient level in a reef. I do notice that in my previous SPS reef that softies don't do well and I thought that it might have to be due to the reef being nutient starved, a direction that many SPS or would be reefers would likely head towards.

That is mostly due to the overskimming from the oversized skimmer right? hehehe

• SRC Member

yea what. not v compatipblae. sps and softies. one need water free of nutrients to colour nice nice.. one need nutrient laden water to get nutrition.. :D

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
any clues?...... :rolleyes: Me...me... I guess....I guess...... Beckett liao..... :lol:

I think that's a big hint..... since you are going for sps, better keep the nutrient low. hehehe

I like to keep LPS, but at the same time alot of fishes, so I have no choice also. <_<

• SRC Member
Sis AP,

How often do you do water change?  How many % each time?

Do you use RO/DI for your water change, or just tap water?  What salt do you use?

Thanks,

Patrick

bro Patrick ,

I do a 20% waterchange every week from my RO/DI unit but if I have time I do twice a week...... :D My source of tap water from where I stay has very slicate.... :( while waiting for my RO/DI cartridges to arrive after the old ones had been exhausted...there was a growth of diatoms bloom. So once when the cartridge of an RO/DI is Exhausted never try and use it again. Tap water straight from the tap is a definite no - no for me. I also add prime about 10ml each time I do a water change and add a full syringe of live nitrifiying bacteria as well from a turkey blaster.

Currently I am using Coralife Salt Mix but it's on the 39th list of a survey done on slat mixes. So intend to change after the the current bag finishes. :D