AP's Cube

you guys can argue/talk/debate until the cows come home regarding skimmers and SPSes. I have seen SPSes thrive on Weipro/Beckett/zero skimmers. it all boils down to husbandry skills, mechanical equipment *lights, etc*, biological factors *water quality* and...luck.

you can have the most fantastic equipment in the world, with state of the art monitoring systems, but if luck doesn't want to smile on your side, you will never even keep a damsel alive, let alone a colony of SPS.

in short, you can drive a Ferrari with made in Timbuktu tyres and still win a race, but why take the risk?

my two cents.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
you guys can argue/talk/debate until the cows come home regarding skimmers and SPSes. I have seen SPSes thrive on Weipro/Beckett/zero skimmers. it all boils down to husbandry skills, mechanical equipment *lights, etc*, biological factors *water quality* and...luck.

you can have the most fantastic equipment in the world, with state of the art monitoring systems, but if luck doesn't want to smile on your side, you will never even keep a damsel alive, let alone a colony of SPS.

in short, you can drive a Ferrari with made in Timbuktu tyres and still win a race, but why take the risk?

my two cents.

makes alot of sense...... ;)

• SRC Member

who's to say that weipro is less efficient or less effective than H&S or even beckett? If tehy are all equally sized, who's to say that a weipro design wouldn't out skim a H&S? has anyone actually done any proper testing and evaluation?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
who's to say that weipro is less efficient or less effective than H&S or even beckett? If tehy are all equally sized, who's to say that a weipro design wouldn't out skim a H&S? has anyone actually done any proper testing and evaluation?

bro.Raymond....I already kenna suan with my RSB for being lousy..... :P becareful....got alot of supporter for H&S , EV and Beckett...... :peace::P:peace:

• SRC Member

haha no lah... just my opinion. Don't think that any brand of skimemr should be rated as less efficient than the others until a proper evaluation is done.

Live and Let Live

If tehy are all equally sized

Bro RYZ.....Yeah equally sized. If they are "equally sized". I dunno if I still can find the photo of the particular two skimmers side-by-side. Bro Roidan, you got or not? See liao then you come and talk lol...

no need to post that pic lah..i think it left a lasting impression on some already

ryz is right in a way, if the skimmers are all built the same size, then no one can say which skimmer is efficient or better or not until a test is done...but the fact is that they are not the same size....

if weipro, macro, rsb, h&S, beckett are used in a 2ft tank....maybe there will not be too drastic a difference between performance between them...

but if they are used on larger systems...you will see some methods pulling faster away from other...

eg...just like a scooter can beat a car in the first few metres of the traffic lights...but as the distance covered is longer, it is easy to see why the car will outpace the scooter :)

so if someone die die want to insist a scooter is faster than a car....we can agree on the context of the first few metres of the race...

but logic/knowlege tells us that the car is generally faster than a scooter :)

anyway, like some earlier said...even with no skimmers can keep a great system...

skimmers are just one part of the modern equipment to aid reefers in getting a higher success rate and make the learning curve less steep :)

precisely, bro ..you are totally right. That is what I was trying to say. If i use the best H&S skimmer but I packed my tank with a lot a lot of fishes and feed a lot all the time.....the skimmer will not perform very well despite getting mud and all.

What I am saying - you can have weipro, macro and other cheaper range skimmer, but matching them to the LS and tank condition, you'll have greater success than those running a very good skimmer but over-compensating ....

Husbandry skills is defintiely important....knowing what your equipment can do is part of the husbandry skills... ... just like knowing when to change test water, change water....and tuning to the correct water parameter. Routine changing could be a kind of self deception that water will be alright when water is changed.

Glad to hear you guys understands that...that's why I am trying to sell my H&S for a twin tower Weipro ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Somehow...skimmer is always a touchy issue...everytime this is brought up..some THING surfaces ;)

• SRC Member

precisely, bro ..you are totally right. That is what I was trying to say. If i use the best H&S skimmer but I packed my tank with a lot a lot of fishes and feed a lot all the time.....the skimmer will not perform very well despite getting mud and all.

What I am saying - you can have weipro, macro and other cheaper range skimmer, but matching them to the LS and tank condition, you'll have greater success than those running a very good skimmer but over-compensating ....

Husbandry skills is defintiely important....knowing what your equipment can do is part of the husbandry skills... ... just like knowing when to change test water, change water....and tuning to the correct water parameter. Routine changing could be a kind of self deception that water will be alright when water is changed.

Glad to hear you guys understands that...that's why I am trying to sell my H&S for a twin tower Weipro ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:

Somehow...skimmer is always a touchy issue...everytime this is brought up..some THING surfaces ;)

no lah nothing surfaces because we all believe we have the right skimmer around.... :peace: Just a note that in reefing there doesn't seem to be a specific rule to maintaining a reef system. Some works with a skimmer and others don't even use it......theres always improvisions going on...... :peace:

true lah..have not seen those nice orange-shoulders for a while ;)

NEw pics !! :lol:

Till today still regret selling my good old hawaiian O-S-Tang