Need some sea urchins....

Hi folks,

Need to search for some sea urchins, preferably the tuxedo kind. Need at least 5... know any LFS having them?

Or if you are kind enough to loan for a month or two to help me trim my hair algae.... :)

• SRC Member

Urchins will gladly eat any green or coralline algae. You must chop the algae down to manageable proportions first. Don't worry, coralline algae grows faster than one urchin can eat them.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Urchins will gladly eat any green or coralline algae. You must chop the algae down to manageable proportions first. Don't worry, coralline algae grows faster than one urchin can eat them.

Erm, how do u chop the algae, tanzy? They just disintegrate when u pick them and squish them...My Urchins dont seem to like green hair leh, how to get them to munch on it?

• SRC Member

Usually cutting is quite hard unless they are quite long. Just pull and yank with fingers and nails.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I actually can pull the hair algae out from the rocks

Mine is as fine as baby's hair... easily removed but they float around and stick everywhere! AND GROW again!!! :(

Mine's fluffy and soft... hence the problem with collecting them....after pulling, they float away and because they are so fine... they tend to get away... yeah I tried lawnmower blennies... they don't seem to like the taste. :(

• SRC Member

AT, have you tried hermits? If you want I've got more than a dozen of tiny hermits to pass to you (FOC! Just remember me when you frag, lol.). Mine seem to pick stuff off the rocks ... I'll observe if they take to any algae and let you know. What about snails?

Barracuda.. my tangs are spoilt rotten... only demanding the best of Selco & garlic juice enriched nori, mysis shrimp and pellets. Only when they are bored, they graze on rock... but totally avoiding the icky-tasting hair algae! :(

Earthborne... a sea hare is a species of nudibranch that eats algae only.

DragonGoby.. your offer is accepted!!!! :)

Phang just passed me about a dozen snails and last night I dropped them on a flat piece of rock full of hair algae... this morning, there were a few bare patches on the rock! WOW!! Phang... you must have been starving them... lol! Thanks bro!

• SRC Member
Barracuda.. my tangs are spoilt rotten... only demanding the best of Selco & garlic juice enriched nori, mysis shrimp and pellets. Only when they are bored, they graze on rock... but totally avoiding the icky-tasting hair algae! :(

Earthborne... a sea hare is a species of nudibranch that eats algae only.

DragonGoby.. your offer is accepted!!!! :)

Phang just passed me about a dozen snails and last night I dropped them on a flat piece of rock full of hair algae... this morning, there were a few bare patches on the rock! WOW!! Phang... you must have been starving them... lol! Thanks bro!

Technically, a sea hare is not a nudibranch. But nudibranchs and sea hares are all ophistobranchs, Check out www.seaslugforum.net .