Over-skimming

Creetin

• SRC Member

just wana check wif e experts, if i were to over skim my tank like 4-5 times over, assuming a reef tank (5 fishes wif corals)...... like if u have a 2ft tank and u hook it up to beckett skimmer..... :lol:

will i be able to keep nitrates to less than 5?

assuming no DSB, just LR and sand.

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member
the sump turn over rate needs to be high enough so that the DOC are send into the sump which will then be skimmed out by the beckett.

Having a very powerful skimmer but low turn over wouldn't do much good too :P

how about a direct hookup from the skimmer to the tank? then it would just be based on the feeder pump right? the bigger the feeder pump the better?

:)

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

i strongly believe the equation works this way

dissolved organic compound >> ammonia >> nitrite >> nitrate

therefore, if DOC is low the end product nitrate will be low too...

that's y matured tanks with powerful skimmers will have nitrate at a controlled level....ask roidan (the lazy master of a 6ft beauty), he didn't change his water for about 6mths or more and corals still doing well....

if i am wrong, pls correct me...thanks...

• SRC Member

I personally feel that overskim is better than underskim.

IMHO, even if you have a very powerful skimmer, you can only reduce the amount of DOC turning into ammonia -> nitrite -> nitrate but no way to stop it completely. So over a period of time, your nitrate will still build up (eventhough at a slower rate if you use a powerful skimmer). So the only way to get rate of nitrate is to use DSB, change water, or Denitrator.

Not really if your sump turn over is high enough and your skimmer turn over is high enough you will be able to extract out the DOC before that had a chance to eventually convert to NO3.

The DSB should be able to take care of NO3 after it is matured.

So do you think you get a skimmer that is rated just nice for your tank volume then it is sufficient? Obviously this also depends on the LS you're keeping.

it seems that it is indeed possible to battle nitrates by overskimming and LR. and i mean really overskim... :P

yup...i think this form of filtration is also known as berlin method which is pretty popular with the germans...just tonnes of LR and a ultra powerful skimmer

"Save a reef, grow your own"