Disturbing information about Formalin/Malachite

Got this off WetWebMedia, an excellent reference for reefers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Formalin and formalin/malachite solutions are probably too dangerous and may well be disallowed by law in your area, they are in California. These cross-link peptides indiscriminately, destroying any and all proteins they come in contact with. In a very real sense, you're poisoning the "good guys" as well as the "bad". Hopefully the latter faster than the former.

Due to their narrow range of safety, toxicity to livestock and handler, and legal constraints, I would avoid formalin mixtures for pet-fish applications. Malachite green, zinc-free is no longer even used at most government labs and fish hatcheries.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been using malachite green to treat my fishes during FW dip treatments and had more or less bad results.... now I know. My marine velvet outbreak from new liverocks from a friend has resulted in it killing several of my fishes.

Here'a a better treatment - Also info taken from WWmedia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Methylene blue and fresh water! What? Disappointed? Hear me out, this stuff works! And it's very safe. Methylene blue and fresh water is useful for both marine fishes and many invertebrates against ich, skin and gill flukes, funguses, velvet (Amyloodinium) and most other external parasitic and infectious diseases. It has several other added benefits. It's a good oxygenating dye, sort of like our blood's hemoglobin, aiding in keeping oxygen concentration high. It also is helpful in reducing light penetration, soothing frightened livestock.

These qualities are what make methylene blue particularly useful as an "anti-fungal" for transporting stock and rearing eggs. Add to this the low cost, ready availability and lack of restriction on it's use and disposal and we have a winner! Score!

Should you have an impecunious situation, or are just a cheapskate (an inexpensive ray?), rather than buying methlyene blue solutions pre-made you can "make your own". Stock solid methlyene blue can be purchased from chemical supply outlets. Check your local "yellow pages". About one gram of dry material can be dissolved in about one hundred milliliters of water and about ten mils of this solution used per approximately one gallon of dip. Actual, keenly accurate measures aren't necessary as this material is safe and effective over a wide range of concentrations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• SRC Member

Greenex is malachite green. The best copper would probably be cupramine by Seachem. For corals an iodine dip in tincture of iodine or Seachem's coral dip disinfectant is good. But to kill organisms inside corals such as unwanted worms they need to be in a (48 hour or was it 24? No more than that) solution of Clout, which is sometimes available in the US. I doubt S'pore has it though.

Sorry if my thoughts are disorganized !