Return Pump to use

jc85

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

This thread is actually a "spin off" from another thread in "equipment" section. As I'm currently working on a return pump for my sump and has narrowed to below few pump, will like to hear fellow reefers comments and opinion on which is the most cost effective and reliable pump (personal opinion are welcome).

AquaBee 3000>39W>3000L/Hr

AquaMedic OR3500>65W>3500L/Hr

Eheim 1262>80W>3400L/Hr

Sicce Extrema>35W>2800L/Hr

Personally, thought Aqueebee seems to be a gd choice considering its 39W with a flow of 300L/hr and cheaper than AquaMedic OR.

Cheers

JC

Hi,

I am using Laguna Utility pump 5. Power comsumption - 55W output flow 4750 l/hr. No complaint. a bit of huming noice in carbinet. Not hot at all.

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

IMO, if you can go for an external pump, go for it.... a resun or an iwaki will give you better water flow because they are pressure rated and will pay for itself in no time. They also transfer little or no heat into the water... even Eheims will be warm! They are slightly more expensive to run though.

Eheims are good value for the money, followed by Aquabee and the Siccee. You can also consider the Rena Flow 6000, 4750l/h at 106w. Strong reliable pump.

You can forget about the ORs. From my personal experience and others... they are unreliable, run too warm and get too noisy after a while.

• SRC Member

Personally, I feel that you should take noise into consideration as well. You wont want to sit now to your tank and enjoy the humming sound.

I am currently using an OR3500 as my return pump.

It started off quiet but is now giving off a very loud humming sound. I have checked it for any dirt or blockages but have found none.

• SRC Member

Just done some calculation on my head loss in RC, its ~3.11.

Due to my cabinet constraint, I can't have a external pump. Actually wanted to use resun for its pressure rate but too bad.

I have no or not much info on below pumps that were brought up here, are they external or internal pump?

Laguna Utility pump 5

Rena Flow 6000

Now my choice is down to these;

1) AquaBee 3000>45W>3000L/Hr

centrifugal pump 230 V/ 45 watt, max power: 3000 l/h, max head: 2,4 m/WS Dimensions: L/W/H: 9,5 (incl.connector 14,0 cm) x 8,0 x 9,5 cm (incl.connector 13,7 cm), connection suction side and pressure side 16/22, the delivery is incl. Intake strainer and holder for mounting the pump at the aquarium glass. The pump can be operated inside or outside of the aquarium. It can be used for fresh water as well as for marine water aquariums.

2) Eheim 1262>80W>3400L/Hr

eheim_univ_pump_1260_1262.jpg

OR doesn't sounds reliable (dun wan to take risk) and Sicce seems to be underpower (2500L/hr) only.

Tend to lean on the Aqubee for its power comsumption. Should save some substantial $$ in long run. Anyone using or used this pump before?

ANy comments

JC

• SRC Member

Which means it can't be used as a external pump? :o

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

You have to take into consideration what you intend to do with your return pump... if you get one with pressure rating you will get a much higher turnover in your tank, you may even do away with more powerheads and reduce unsightliness!

Most people have weak return pumps so they supplement it with powerheads. Tunze streams are better, however they do cost much much more than a cheap return pump. ;) Of course again, the lower power consumption is offset by the price tag. (but its an awesome product).

If you have a good beckett skimmer (Reef Maniac series, BAR, Aerofoamer etc), you should increase the water return rate into the sump to make full use of your skimmer.

All these will count into the overall system performance.

My 2 cents.

AT

• SRC Member

Hi AT,

How do we know if a pump is pressure rated? Spec doesn't seems to indicate or maybe I juz dun understand them. Beside Iwaski and Resun (both external pump), is any of the submersible pump mention here is pressure rated?

Actually, you have brought up one of my main consideration when designing my sump. To reduce the no. of powerhead for flow in main tank. That's why I wanted to have resun MD 40 in the beginning.

JC

Simple, you can tell by looking at the way its made. The motor & magnet is a lot stronger, heavier & more powerful. Hence the need for air-cooling as opposed to water-cooled.

;)

Hi,

I am current using the Laguna Utility pump 5. According to the manual which include pump 1 to 6, they are all submissible pump. However, from pump 4 onward, they have inlet and outlet hole which I presumed that the pump can be used as external pump. The whole casing upon inspection is water tight which confirmed my assumption.

As for the noise, I do not have other pumps so cannot compare. But IMO, it is quiet only at night you can hear humming noise when the cabinet is closed. There seem to be little heat generation like about 40 degree warmmer that my hand.

Where to buy? I have no idea as I bought this from a fellow reefer. :P

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha