Aquamedic multi-SL skimmer

JL27AY

Hi ppl,

Wana check if anyone is also using the above skimmer. I have been running it for about a month.. the first 2 weeks of skimming produced very dark but wet skimmate but however, i cleaned the collection cup after 2 weeks and cant seem to get the same kinda skim mate again.

The skimmer is placed in the sump.

Hope to hear from fellow reefers using the same skimmer.

TKs

The multi 1000, if that's the one you talk about is a great skimmer. Overpriced here, i think so also.

I have used 2 of these for many years. They work best in hang-on mode but also work from the sump.

Firstly there is very little to go wrong. The first thing to check is to see if the air hole in the pump is blocked. Dismantle the pump, pull off the air pipe and push a thin piece of wire through the hole in the pump to ensure it is clean.(this needs to be done every few months or so for peak performance)

The next step is to keep the pump immersed at a depth so that the length of connection pipe is as short as possible to the skimmer. This reduces pressure and increases air flow.

There is not much else to do, my guess its a blocked air hole

I think squirting hot water down the air intake will help to better dissolve encrusted salt. Putting in a thin piece of wire may damage something. ;)

Wire, allen keys and such do no damage. The hole is several inches long and in my experience once the air inlet is restricted, hot water alone will never clear it.

When badly restricted it can take quite an effort to clean it, i found it best to use a wire or allen key of a similar diameter to the passage. Take out the needle wheel and clean from the impellor side

For regular maintainance it is, as suggested, useful to allow the airpipe to suck in hot water to help keep the passage clean.

Its the one weakness of this skimmer.

The multi 1000, if that's the one you talk about is a great skimmer. Overpriced here, i think so also.

I have used 2 of these for many years. They work best in hang-on mode but also work from the sump.

Firstly there is very little to go wrong. The first thing to check is to see if the air hole in the pump is blocked. Dismantle the pump, pull off the air pipe and push a thin piece of wire through the hole in the pump to ensure it is clean.(this needs to be done every few months or so for peak performance)

The next step is to keep the pump immersed at a depth so that the length of connection pipe is as short as possible to the skimmer. This reduces pressure and increases air flow.

There is not much else to do, my guess its a blocked air hole

Hi there,

U mentioned that the skimmer works best as a hang-on.. Dun mind if u ask WHY?

Cos if i am not wrong, the skimmate will be affected when the water level in the sump changes rite.. (happens when i shut the return pump to dose DT or when feeding). I realised water gush up the collection cup when it happens.

And there is two sides to control the water level so where should the water level would u recommend?

Will try to see if the air tube is stuck..

Tks

JL

Reason it works better as a hang on is that water is being feed to the skimmer directly from the tank, prior to any pe-filter. If you dont have a prefilter than there should be no difference. The skimmer has 2 outlets which give a self levelling water level. You should never need to adjust this. If you have the 2 plastic adjustable plugs that go in the top of the water outlets, try taking them out, they really should not be necessary.

If the air flow is blocked/reduced the output of the pump(water flow) increases which could give rise to overflow of the skimmer.

I dont quite understand what you are saying about why the water level in the skimmer is effected by the sump level.

Check the air passage first, make sure the pump is as close to the skimmer inlet as possible(mine were only a few cm) if it is too far away, the flow is higher, the air lower.