NSW vs salt mix

Achilles Tang

I had a brief discussion with Morgan yesterday as he gave me a lift home after the CoralFarm LCK visit.

Because Morgan and I have bigger than average tanks... we discussed about saltwater and the trade-offs like costs, pollution, parasites, clarity and other stuff between using natural seawater and saltmix.

For $60, he can get like a ton of NSW to fill up his tanks and I have to cough up like $180 for two boxes of salt to make just 150 gallons of saltwater.

I would like to find out more about how many of our Reef Club members here actually use NSW and how many use saltmixes.

What are the differences to your tank and to your pocket?

Do you get higher nitrates, DOM or parasites from NSW? Do you feel that there is little difference?

• SRC Member

IMO, i would go for the mix.. coz i get the feeling or mindset that NSW do have all the parasites that u had mentioned.. and i dun want to risk that... rather pay a bit more and be safe.. :blink:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Can share a bit about NSW...

I used to obtain NSW from LFS... not much of a problem till I heard that some LFS recycle water from their stock tanks in large water containers before releasing them to us as NSW....

Comments from some LFS also claims that water found nearer to shorelines tend to be polluted and contaminated....

After that, I revert back to salt mix.... (better safe than sorry)...

I am fine with anything as long as its the best for my reef tank.

Actually i m looking for the brand of salt called Marine-environment...cun seem to find it.

m currently using Bio-Sal from Aquatechnic...so far okie...but there will be slight cloudiness when new water is made with the salt.

fyi

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

Got 2 jerry cans for NSW from Ocean Planet.

Did a taste test... taste like saltwater... heh heh!

Tested salinity using my refractometer... 1.024.

Tested PH.... 8.12.

I'll do a no2/no3 test and alk test later.

I'm pretty pooped today... and tomorrow's gonna be a loooooong day!

:)

• 2 years later...

As this is an old post, but subject is near to my heart....NSW versus salt mix...I tend to want to believe in filtered sea water, will setup a 3 ft tank at the same time as my other 7 ft tank , and experiment on NSW from , yes our east coast...will feed back to you guys my little experiment...already bought recycle jerrican from :eddy General Contractor & Supplier Category : Drums & Barrels-Plastic

Address : 2 Tuas Dr 1 Singapore 638669

Telephone : 6861 0031 /6865 3387Joyce (18litres ard $2.90, 20 litres=$3.plus...cheap!), will try it out.....WATCH THIS SPACE!!!

vipersig.jpg

• SRC Member
I am fine with anything as long as its the best for my reef tank.

Actually i m looking for the brand of salt called Marine-environment...cun seem to find it.

m currently using Bio-Sal from Aquatechnic...so far okie...but there will be slight cloudiness when new water is made with the salt.

fyi

try to pm or call our sponsor "Marine Life"

he got marine environment salt

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

IMO,

I believe the introduction of UV is rather redundant or in my opinion does more harm than good. Let's think abt the reason why we use NSW in the first place.

In my view, i use NSW because i like the huge amount of organisms present initially in the water, which are intricate food sources for my corals and the introduction of life into the tank. So by passing through UV, arent we killing the organisms present in the water? without these organisms, what different does NSW differs from salt mix? monetary sense? well maybe.. but the devoid of organisms through the implementation of UV to NSW in my opinion will make NSW no different from salt mix...

BUT i will still use NSW but without the implementation of UV. Cause i think i need the organisms exa phytoplankton which is rich in Singapore waters and compared to salt mix, phytoplankton is something salt mix cannot offer...

I hope my point gets across...if not, a PM will be good

Jus my 2 cents worth... ;)

• 1 year later...