Will kH readings in day & night

FuEl

Assuming my Ca reactor is well tuned (1 bubble per 4-5 secs, effluent drip of about once every 4 secs), will kH fluctuate during the day and night?

About 3-4 days ago measured my kH. Was around 8.4. Had nothing to do just now so I checked my kH. It was around 7.6.

Calcium level did'nt change, around 430ppm.

What should I do? Is my effluent drip too slow? Or should I buffer up my kH with sodium bicarbonate?

Oh yes, only recently started to dose kalkwasser at night. Could this have brought down the kH somehow? :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Water is always in a constant state of flux.

Some parameters will fluctuate a lot more than others because of their dependency on each other eg. KH and PH. Adding too much of something or too quickly may impact another parameter.

I believe one should always drip buffers to prevent such localized 'reactions' from happening.

Hmm...so it has got something to do with my dosing of kalk? I dose it manually. About 3-4 capfuls every 45 mins or so. Is it because of this? If so maybe I will stop dosing kalk altogether. :unsure:

• SRC Member
Assuming my Ca reactor is well tuned (1 bubble per 4-5 secs, effluent drip of about once every 4 secs), will kH fluctuate during the day and night?

About 3-4 days ago measured my kH. Was around 8.4. Had nothing to do just now so I checked my kH. It was around 7.6.

Calcium level did'nt change, around 430ppm.

What should I do? Is my effluent drip too slow? Or should I buffer up my kH with sodium bicarbonate?

Oh yes, only recently started to dose kalkwasser at night. Could this have brought down the kH somehow? :unsure:

what is the kh and ca of your effluent reading ? i think its not well tune yet.

so actually, come to tink of it, izit better to take the readings at nite or in the day??

Which reading should we use??

Vincent Ho

best is to do it always at the same time of the day..

more consistency.

what is the kh and ca of your effluent reading ? i think its not well tune yet.

Hmm...I guess so. Not the fault of the reactor itself. It's more of the valve of my CO2. Rather hard to tune. Think must get new needle valve. Anyway..increased the drip rate to about once every second. Will test kH tonight again..if it stays then I'll just buffer up the kH with sodium bicarbonate.