FL housing with Eballast

bwilly

Have some disagreement with one reefer, just want to clear the air.

I dun DIY, so I dun have much knowledge in this area.

This old man selling his FL housing was quoting that his FL housing

can be used for T5 w/o changing of the Eballast as long as the

wattage is the same (or lesser)

I believe T5 intensity is much more and the FL eballast cannot make it.

I have seen T5 eballast, n its so much longer n thicker, normal FL

housing need modification before fitting is possible.

Anyone can advise? :yeah:

T5s are FLs, except they are of a higher output.

So technically, he is right that T5s and FLs can use the same eballast.

Not sure what is the output of 4ft FLs.

But assuming its meant for your 4ft, I doubt the eballast can drive 02 x 54w T5s.

yea... from my knowledge as long as the wattage is suitable then can liao... but the endcaps must change I think...

possible. but then what's the point ppl are using special

T5 housing.

If not use a 5ft FL housing n house a 4ft T5?

cause FL housing is so much cheaper.

• SRC Member

A 3 ft t12 is 30watt, a 3 ft t5 is 39watt.. any diff? make a guess..

Sure it can light up a t5 but it'll be underdriven.

Jus my 1 cent. :lol:

• SRC Member

yea... Think have to get slightly higher wattage than the tube consumption one... the endcaps also must change... if the wattage is suitable just change endcaps right?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
Have some disagreement with one reefer, just want to clear the air.

I dun DIY, so I dun have much knowledge in this area.

This old man selling his FL housing was quoting that his FL housing

can be used for T5 w/o changing of the Eballast as long as the

wattage is the same (or lesser)

I believe T5 intensity is much more and the FL eballast cannot make it.

I have seen T5 eballast, n its so much longer n thicker, normal FL

housing need modification before fitting is possible.

Anyone can advise? :yeah:

Hey kids,

So i am not wrong afterall. Pls check it first before making sacastic remark abour me cheating you. By the way I didnt even cheat you, as you have not buy anythings from me. My claim is right because i said that overrated ballast can be use in any FL fittings as long as their wattage fits in. And T5 is FL light not any special light, just that the dia size is smaller than T8.

Furthermore I didnt even point a gun in your head to come and view. So please make clear. Also my advise to you is stop using the F word in sms, you can get sue for that. If you want brand new things with perfect condition and expects to pay 2nd hand price, pls dont come to Pasar Malam shop. Go to retail outlet and try to bargain out with them.

Hey kids,

So i am not wrong afterall. Pls check it first before making sacastic remark abour me cheating you. By the way I didnt even cheat you, as you have not buy anythings from me. My claim is right because i said that overrated ballast can be use in any FL fittings as long as their wattage fits in. And T5 is FL light not any special light, just that the dia size is smaller than T8.

Furthermore I didnt even point a gun in your head to come and view. So please make clear. Also my advise to you is stop using the F word in sms, you can get sue for that. If you want brand new things with perfect condition and expects to pay 2nd hand price, pls dont come to Pasar Malam shop. Go to retail outlet and try to bargain out with them.

F...?

I use it often.. ah pek.

I already asked some ppl abt it.

U can keep your FL housing n sell it as T5 housing.

Or u keep your fish in FW since its also water, ah pek.

Keep your sue threat to the kids puberty kids oki..

After I left your place, u complain that I waste your time.

I did not mention anything at that point in time. I have

spent time n transport cost to went your place. I leave it at tat.

n u got cheek to sms me to complain.

bu song ah.. cannot make a sales.. ? :evil:

2nd hand price 10% wat indicate..? that's totally fraudenlent behavior n

u expect ppl to pay u for that. no wonder so long u stuffs still cannot sell,

how long u put online liao? how many ppl went down n go away?

Sue..? :snore::snore:

F... :snore:

Childish.....

then u sms when I never bother to reply after I left your place.

when almost I already tried to forget your dishonest n inaccurate post.

u then childish.. n at your age.. hair already white too.

Warning.... anti-flaming measures are activated. Warnings will be given out to both parties with possible 1 day cool-off period. Please comply immediately or face this possibility. Warning.

Well this might get a bit technical, T5 and T8 uses different amount of current. Thus T5 and T8 ballast are not interchangable.

But however, there is a "Multiwatt" ballast that can be used for all type of fluorescent. If it is, then you can safely change the tube as long it is the same or less wattage, just change the end cap.

• SRC Member

hmm... I am using a t12 tube with a fitting meant for t8 tubes... however the wattage is the same... it is working... does it mean that if the wattage is similar then use?

Live and Let Live

just dun try it oki..

I already spoken to a few frens..

the eballast is different..

I seen T5 ones. If not how come FL housing n T5 housing different?

The cover is comparably in pricing, difference comes abt in the Eballast I suppose.

hmm... I am using a t12 tube with a fitting meant for t8 tubes... however the wattage is the same... it is working... does it mean that if the wattage is similar then use?

If I am not mistaken, T8 is a powersaving version of T12, T12 uses a higher wattage, but give the same light output as T8. Their wattage difference is very little, and their ballast is interchangable, just make sure that the wattage is lower or similar to the maximum wattage.

If I am not mistaken, T8 is a powersaving version of T12, T12 uses a higher wattage, but give the same light output as T8. Their wattage difference is very little, and their ballast is interchangable, just make sure that the wattage is lower or similar to the maximum wattage.

I was talking about claim that FL eballast being used for T5..

I am assuming that it's all eballasts? There should really be no problem with it running different Tx tubes, as long as its correctly rated ie. 54w T5/54w PL/54w T8/54w T12 etc.

• SRC Member

:peace: My 2cents ,

One of the reasons for the pricing in FL and T5 housing would be the quality and reflector plays a very important part .

Certain T5 housing like AIT , D&D and XGlare is made to be total water-proof.

If i remeber right there is a different with the eballast used.

• SRC Member

Most FL ballasts will work with T5 tubes but their life will be shortened. Normal instant start/rapid electronic ballast or choke start iron core ballast will cause the electrode to heat up rapidly and burning the phosphors coating. The rapid heating will also cause premature failure by burning out the electrode.

T5 requires slow/glow start ballast to preheat the electrode before striking the lamp. Osram T5 ballasts have the preheat function and I managed to find a electronic starter with the preheat function too.

Either you get a T5 eballast or you will need a electronic preheat starter + iron core ballast, otherwise the tube will have a shorter lifespan

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...2465&hl=starter

I was talking about claim that FL eballast being used for T5..

I am answering to this question, it it meant to be a question.