Can I keep a marine tank in my room?

• SRC Member

Hey bros, I am a newbie and will like to know if I can keep a marine tank inside my room. cos i will be switching on the air con at night and i am worried about the tempertaure changes in the tank. furthermore, there is little ar ventilation in my room as my windows are mostly closed.will this be a problem for keep a marine tank? thinking of a small tank cos just want to enjoy the views while studying...

All advices are welcome.

• SRC Member
Hey bros, I am a newbie and will like to know if I can keep a marine tank inside my room. cos i will be switching on the air con at night and i am worried about the tempertaure changes in the tank. furthermore, there is little ar ventilation in my room as my windows are mostly closed.will this be a problem for keep a marine tank? thinking of a small tank cos just want to enjoy the views while studying...

All advices are welcome.

What about in the morning when you are not at home is the window open ?

Cause if not, it might result in heat built up due to lack of circulation, correct me if I am wrong :P

• SRC Member
Thanks all :)

Still got some question left... I am thinking of a small tank(eg. those use for office) . Do i need a LR? and also, do I need a protein skimmer?

Perhaps you would like to elaborate exactly how small (or big) the tank may be?

I have a 1.5ft tank in my room as well.

I don't use any skimmer. Used to have the internal kind - but takes up too much space. But I change water every weekend. And I think you'll need a air stone if you're not intending to get a skimmer. Cos you need some mechanism to mix the air into the water. Otherwise, you may see your fishes gasping for air at the surface.

And I'm using a cannister filter - cos can put more media inside, compared to the hang-on type.

LR needed by some fishes - cos some likes to hide. Plus can cultivate bacteria in LR to handle your fishes waste.

Regarding the temperature issue, I on my air-con at night as well. When I wake up, the tank is at ~25C. It will go up to ~30C near evening. Used to hover ~28-29C, but nowadays weather hot. Btw I have a hang-on fan blowing on the water. Anyway, what I realise is if I closed my door and windows in my room the whole day, the cold air from the previous night helps to keep my tank's temprature low for a longer time.

Kg, errr ...

Sorry, don't remember.

But about 7 pieces of palm-sized ones. :P

Cos bought my LRs over a few trips.

The cost ranges from $16~20 per kg.

Sorry, don't know the costs for cured and uncured rocks either.

But I prefer to pick those with more coralline growth (purple patches on the LRs).

Worms, crabs ... ?

Think I got one crab in there.

Cos found its molted shell twice.

But no casualties some far, so no rush to catch the rascal yet.

Anyway, it'll help to clean my tank - those uneaten food.

When I had this tank in my office (before I brought it home), think I caught close to 10 crabs in there. 2~3 are big ones. Those time, I had missing fishes now and then.

Caught a few worms, big ones, and threw them away. But left the small ones behind. Cos good for your tank's eco-system.

• SRC Member

I am also having a marine tank in my room and my windows are also closed during the day since I'll be in school. So far, its doing fine. The tank is roughly 6 months+ and I am using a skimmer.

• SRC Member

eh crabs molt ah?

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

I used to use the hang-on type when the tank's in the office.

But found the water parameters not good.

Thus when I brought it home, I decided to have a cannister instead.

My filter media is as follows (from bottom to top):

Coarse fiber

Carbon

Rowaphos

Denitrate

Polyfilter

Biohomme

Fine fiber

Cos a lot of these helps in removing toxin, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PO4...

which you won't be able to fit in those hang-on tye.

If you're using the hang-on kind, think you'll have to monitor your water parameters more closely and then decide on a water change.

Do a water change if ammonia, nitrite and nitrate gets too high.

At least a weekly change, for small tanks like ours.

Cos water parameters for small tanks fluctuate more drastically.

Can check out this webpage, mostly nano tank reefers.

www.nano-reef.com

And yes, crab molt.

If I'm not wrong, all crustaceans need to molt to get bigger.

The cannister I bought is the smallest in its range.

Supposedly good enough for 2~3ft tanks.

Cost me about $70 after discount.

Changed to cannister in hope of getting better water parameters.

And indeed water parameters much better than when I was using the hang-on type.

Yap, cycled my tank for 6~7 weeks with a market prawn.

Got mine from Reborn.

Brand is Hydor.

Don't think they have stock for the small one currently.

But can get "Ah Boy" or the auntie to order one for you.

Can check it out in this webpage also:

www.hydor.com

Look for "External filter - Prime 10/20/30"

No sound during operation.

Very silent.

Only a bit noisy first time I on it.

Think it's b'cos got air trapped in the cannister.

But once the air is forced out, no more sound.

All advices are welcome.

I will suggest not, it is best to keep the surrounding temperature constant, unless you are keeping the aircon on for the wholeday.

We should keep temperature fluctuation within 1 degree C in a day.

• SRC Member

i personally keep a 1 ft tank in my office. i use the hang on filter. a few bits of live rocks and abt 3 fishes. water parameters tend to fluctuate. for instance today, my ammonia indicator indicated i needed a water change. I changed the water twice (25%) each time and yet the indicator still indicates ammonia in the water. sigh, dunno what went wrong. im actually of bringing the tank back home to fit in my room 2.