sps change colour when introduce into tank

That's pretty normal.

The conditions in the sea where that colony is found and the conditions in your tank are totally different.... water parameters, water quality, temperature, water flow, food levels, light levels, nutrient levels etc etc.

But once they adapt (which could take days, weeks or even months), they will grow and brighten up given optimal conditions.

At the other side of the coin, they will dull up again/stop growing if your tank condition worsens.

thanks AT for the info

Bro, how long your acro been in the tank before it changes to brown? Mine's been in my tank for a day, still pretty much the same... not much diff.... would like to know if the conditions aren't ideal, do they turn brown very quickly??

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro, how long your acro been in the tank before it changes to brown? Mine's been in my tank for a day, still pretty much the same... not much diff.... would like to know if the conditions aren't ideal, do they turn brown very quickly??

Vincent Ho :thanks:

High nutrients will result in Acros turning brown, from what I read up.......the higher it is, the darker brown it becomes.........good skimmer, reduce feeding, regular water change, sufficient lightings & leaving them undisturbed will help in getting the colours back..........IME

Eric

• SRC Member

I wonder what's wrong with my Acro. It supposed to be tri colour with purple tips.

Instead it turn into a purple monster? Is that good or bad?

Really, what really influence the coloration. I heard the Germans reefers are able to control certain water properties thus making their Acros more intense and varied in color. Too bad they are in German, can't understand their language even after translation. Something to do with starving the Acros from certain nutrients.

Anyone any clue?

• SRC Member
I wonder what's wrong with my Acro. It supposed to be tri colour with purple tips.

Instead it turn into a purple monster? Is that good or bad?

Really, what really influence the coloration. I heard the Germans reefers are able to control certain water properties thus making their Acros more intense and varied in color. Too bad they are in German, can't understand their language even after translation. Something to do with starving the Acros from certain nutrients.

Anyone any clue?

Normal lah, mine also turn dark brown then dark purple body with bright green polyps, when I first bought it from a reefer, it was light brown with purple tip and light green polyps.........still fighting with reducing the nutrients in my water, can't bare to starve my fishes.......when I uses 10K some of my frags turn to dark purple colour, now I change to 20K......all starting to change to green......but nevermind lah, at least better than staying brown.

Bought a brown colony from ###### 3mths back. Frag it out into 5 frags, now then the polyps starting to change to green colours, body still brown. Same goes for my light brown monti-cap, turning yellowish green now.

Well, thats the beauty of SPS corals.......you never know what you gonna get.

Eric

• SRC Member
Can anyone advise if the conditions are not ideal enough, how long it takes for the acro to turn brown? Also, if the conditions are good, how long it takes to colour up?? :)

Vincent Ho

Turn brown matter of days, turn back colour matter of months........hehe

Eric