Something to share

Dinosaur

• SRC Member

Actually, the AB 10K bulbs have the largest output in the violet range (of all the bulbs I know, and of all those mentioned by mv), and even more than the radiums, which peak in the blue range.

But corals definitely wont fluoresce under the AB bulbs because the light output in the violet is drowned out by the output in other specturms.

Mabe corals under radiums will fluoresce, I dont know, so someone else may need to shed some light on this.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... pospeh... you are rite.

I seemed to have that fact wrong... the german 10k does in fact have a good spike in the violet spectrum but are weaker in the blues.

The saki and radium lacks violet and needs actinic supplementation.

However, it is interesting to note that blue lights are more important than violet.

• SRC Member

Daryll,

They are refering to the 10kks with spike in the Violets...

therefore requirement for actinics not really important..

the other bulbs would require as they lact violets, theay peak more in the blue...

Think my Bluelines peak in the violets too......

BTW, since we are in this topic ...titled...something to share,

So would like to share something .....

I'm currently with 2 x 400Ws Bluelines, with the intention to change to Radiums, and a 250W Sakis....

and am thinking of converting all bulbs to AB Aqualines...

Hope to keep my total MH Wattage below 800Ws......

However, have one concern after some conversation with a few fellow reefers,

that is , heard that AB bulbs might have QC issues....and you might not get the same result with every bulb???

Pospeh, you might like to comment here....

Anyone to comment and advise regarding the switch and the QC issue??

• SRC Member

Hey Phang,

heard about the QC problem too - apparently some guys on the US reeftalk listserver have reported spectrum shifts in their bulbs as well. You planning to leave the Sakis on when you're off at work? hehe ... tactic eh? :idea: Phang, need to ask you something too - what reflector are you using? My reflector really "cannot make it" - loads of light wasted!! I'm now sourcing out any good reflectors, esp. parabolic reflectors. Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction? I *could* order in the Spiderlight reflectors from the US, but the cost is quite hefty, around US$40 not including S/H.

Regards,

Hong Yee

• SRC Member

Here is the link to the PAR output of various 400W single ended bulbs (AB, Radiium, Iwasaki, etc) in the different spectrums. Link is from an article in aquarium frontiers by Sanjay Joshi.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...es/1/f1fig3.asp

This is another link for 250W bulbs. The data for "AB" is comparable to the "10K HQI", but the data for the HQI is not comparable to the other single ended bulbs since its done on an unshielded double-ended bulb.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...es/2/f1fig4.asp

The gist of all this, as I said before, is that the AB bulbs put out the most PAR in the violet range compared to all bulbs. In fact, ABs put out more in the violets than the yellows and greens. The radiums has the most in the blue range while the Iwasakis has the most in the green and yellows.

With regards to QC problem, this is the first I heard that there may be a problem. I use the double-ended 250W version. I haven't had any obvious problem with it. The recommended life is 6000 hours, so I replaced it after 1.5 years. I guess there was some yellowing and loss of output in the old bulb, because I noticed the whiter output after changing to a new bulb. I think AB bulbs are relatively common in Singapore, so people here should know if there is really a recurring problem or just an freak incident.

• SRC Member
Hey Phang,

heard about the QC problem too - apparently some guys on the US reeftalk listserver have reported spectrum shifts in their bulbs as well. You planning to leave the Sakis on when you're off at work? hehe ... tactic eh? :idea: Phang, need to ask you something too - what reflector are you using? My reflector really "cannot make it" - loads of light wasted!! I'm now sourcing out any good reflectors, esp. parabolic reflectors. Can anyone kindly point me in the right direction? I *could* order in the Spiderlight reflectors from the US, but the cost is quite hefty, around US$40 not including S/H.

Regards,

Hong Yee

Hong Yee...

You heard of DIY????? :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Here is the link to the PAR output of various 400W single ended bulbs (AB, Radiium, Iwasaki, etc) in the different spectrums. Link is from an article in aquarium frontiers by Sanjay Joshi.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...es/1/f1fig3.asp

This is another link for 250W bulbs. The data for "AB" is comparable to the "10K HQI", but the data for the HQI is not comparable to the other single ended bulbs since its done on an unshielded double-ended bulb.

http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/19...es/2/f1fig4.asp

The gist of all this, as I said before, is that the AB bulbs put out the most PAR in the violet range compared to all bulbs. In fact, ABs put out more in the violets than the yellows and greens. The radiums has the most in the blue range while the Iwasakis has the most in the green and yellows.

With regards to QC problem, this is the first I heard that there may be a problem. I use the double-ended 250W version. I haven't had any obvious problem with it. The recommended life is 6000 hours, so I replaced it after 1.5 years. I guess there was some yellowing and loss of output in the old bulb, because I noticed the whiter output after changing to a new bulb. I think AB bulbs are relatively common in Singapore, so people here should know if there is really a recurring problem or just an freak incident.

Pospeh,

Thanks for the links...

The 250W AB does have a good spectrum spread compared with the Sakis which peak in the yellows and greens...

the 400W Sakis however peaks incredibly ...... compared to the other bulbs.....

another thing, how does the AB Aqualine retails here???

think I could get 3 years supply of Saki bulb for the price of one AB........

• SRC Member
Dino,

I just bought 2 X 150W SE 20K Iwasaki from EYE. Colour is very nice bluish white. I simply mount them on a plank and place it on the canopy of my tank. Very cheap. However, the ballast I got is magnetic. I paid about $360.

Thanks but alreafy got the address from rrrbot. $100 per piece. Will be going down to buy today.

:D

:look: really cannot tarhan the yellowish color laioz ....... makes the whole tank looks dead and all the corals loses it original color. :eyeblur::cry:

dino07.gif

Phang,

Precisely why I am going for 400 watts sakis (horrible colour but incredible PAR) that are switched on when I am out of the house!

The 250 watt 10ks and the 400 watt Radiums should be good combo to view my tank when I get back.

Hope to have everything rigged up in a weeks time... (excluding the 10ks as that will probably be bought in another month's time). Still trying to figure out how to squeeze 6 MHs and reflectors into my tank!

Maybe I'll go for 10k T5s when they come out? :P Or perhaps rig up a Saki 150watt 20k since it's supposedly a nice white lite?

• SRC Member
Phang,

Precisely why I am going for 400 watts sakis (horrible colour but incredible PAR) that are switched on when I am out of the house!

The 250 watt 10ks and the 400 watt Radiums should be good combo to view my tank when I get back.

Hope to have everything rigged up in a weeks time... (excluding the 10ks as that will probably be bought in another month's time). Still trying to figure out how to squeeze 6 MHs and reflectors into my tank!

Maybe I'll go for 10k T5s when they come out? :P Or perhaps rig up a Saki 150watt 20k since it's supposedly a nice white lite?

Hmmm... actually the 400Ws Sakis look a good idea too....

Only on for a short period of time to speed the growth process....

then can view reef with the 250W AB...

BTW, last heard they are no longer termed 10kks for the new batch but are now 14kks......

hurgh.... decisions, decisions....... :heh:

• SRC Member
You guy are really exhausting the oil field with so much wattage. :sick:

The authorities might suspect you running an underground disco ###### drug station at home... :whistle

Thats a great idea!! We can call it "the Fishbowl" or something, and have marine tanks throughout for decoration.

We also got all the aquarium-related chemicals and chemicals we need to cook up some drugs. Tanzy can provide the chemical expertise.

It sure will defray our costs

:evil:

Radiums are not lacking in wavelenght below 400nm in fact it has lots of it. You do not need actinics with radium. See the spectral chart at

http://www.radium.de/deutsch/produkte/ab/e.../spektrale.html

The peak is at 440nm which is very close to the wavelenght that corals utilize. The Radium catalogue which has a spectral curve chart shows that the wavelenght goes below 400 nm at around 0.5 the peak of the 440nm. That means it has a lot of violet components and possibly UV A as well. On tanks lighted with radium blue bulbs the corals actually glow a little especially those with green pigments.

If you put your hand below an Iwasaki and the Radium, you can feel the difference on the intensity of the light hitting your skin. You'll get sunburned under a Radium faster than an Iwasaki. IMO you will need actinic supplementation with 10000K bulbs as they look a bit yellow with out them especially Ushios. They look slightly better than 6500K but they are not very white.

In the end it is your own preference on how your tank look likes, bluish will look like it is from deeper waters while the yellowish and greenish looks like your shallow reef flats when you go snorkeling.

• SRC Member
Phang,

I decided to get the Saki 20K because I have personlly seen the effect (on rrrbot tank). I gives the true color of the corals and Invertebrates., unlike my current one ....... Yuck! :snore:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Now here comes the issue,

I wanna keep my total MH wattage below 800Ws...

the ideal would be 750Ws for all 3 MHs...

Know I can't have the best of both worlds but would like to get as close as possible.....

so was wondering if a combo of AB / Saki / AB setup would be good...

Was thinking of the 250W Radium for the AB replacement, but later change my mind due to the low PAR....

BTW, how does a reef using ABs on standard ballast look like??

Anyone with this setup willing to entertain me for a visit/look ??

• SRC Member

Bernard at EYE recommended and showed me the 20K sakis. I was actually going for the 6500 or 10K but after the demo by him, found the 20K's colour most brilliant. It looks a little blue and slowing turn to whitish with a little tint of blue. So I decided to go for 20K.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member
Bernard at EYE recommended and showed me the 20K sakis. I was actually going for the 6500 or 10K but after the demo by him, found the 20K's colour most brilliant. It looks a little blue and slowing turn to whitish with a little tint of blue. So I decided to go for 20K.

Call up EYE Lightening

Order from Bernard two pieces of saki 150w at $100 each plus $4 Gst

He gave me this casing without amy labeling

Only wording printed on the bulb is this

MTD150AQUA2-7S

Kr85

Japan

Can anyone advise if I have got the correct one?

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
BTW, how does a reef using ABs on standard ballast look like??

AB on a standard ballast might not even work. many cases of misfire n it not starting at all.

i suggest u drop the idea of AB cos there r many bad cases of the bulb being greenish(worst then saki) n not firing at all. plus, its freakin ex.

• SRC Member

AB on a standard ballast might not even work. many cases of misfire n it not starting at all.

i suggest u drop the idea of AB cos there r many bad cases of the bulb being greenish(worst then saki) n not firing at all. plus, its freakin ex.

Oops.......

Anyone wants to comment on this????

Pospeh?

BTW, Spiff, what ballast are u using on your ABs????

• SRC Member
me not using AB using ushio.

go read up abt AB at RC. very interesting. got many many many bad experiances abt this bulb over there.

finally decided? the ushio up alreadi ?? :heh:

dino:

only Barracuda and rrrobt got the 150w 20000k saki, the rest dunno how to tell ... :unsure: