can't afford chiller?

shiraz

• SRC Member

hmmm surely some ppl are gonna laugh at me when i say this... maybe should change my nick after this.. haha :ph34r: ok u see i wanted to get a chiller for my 3ft tank but due to my tight budget, could not afford to do so at present so i suddenly came up wif this idea when i was drinking tea at the coffeeshop... the tea was hot.. so i asked for a few ice cubes to cool it down... errr haha haha how bout doing that in a marine tank? i was thinking like putting the ice(tied up bags of water) into the sump refugium or somewhere so that cool water will be pumped out of the sump n over time.. hopefully the water level drops to abt 26+ or 27 like that. my temp now 31 leh.. i think too high :unsure: has any1 tried this b4 or am i the 1st person to think of such a ludicrous idea? :pinch:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

yarlor the only prob is that u have to continue changing ice.. u mean DC fans can bring down the temp that much?! but my tank ah.. no space at the top to fix the fans... only a small space... if that one taken up by fan... den how to put food.. haha :erm: well juz have to save up n get a chiller... thanks guys :thanks:

The world is such a wicked place,war btween the human race. People work to earn their bread,while across the sea they're counting dead

• SRC Member

why not hook up the fans to in the sump? its still cooling your total volume.

run more than 1, maybe as many as u got space. 2-3 units. Got to keep track of water evaporation.

A 2ltr block of ice will take at most 20mins to melt in temp 26c. if u thinkin plastic bags, will melt in 10mins in 31c & how will u keep filling ice 24/7?.

But ice while running fans will keep temp down, while the ice drops temp the fan will cool it enough so that temp takes a few hours to go back up.

Ok to use ice for a quick fix(black out etc..) but if used everyday then your tank temp becomes like a yoyo. would u fall sick going from cold to hot to cold for weeks or months?

Using ice:

1. Decreases salinity

2. Temp fluctuations are stressful to livestock.

3. You need a huge volume of ice to cool tank water but chances are you will see drastic cold spots near the ice block and livestock near that area will get stressed.

4. What happens when the ice overcools or undercools? It's too troublesome to keep adding ice/remove ice when the ideal temp is reached and to maintain it at that temp.

• SRC Member

Hon , most planted aquarium shops have them. very ex$ & not much use.

i have a 6 in a row - these fans in a row are small(just a little bigger than comp. processor fan).

ranges from $50 to $90 for number of fans(2fans,4fans,6fans). I would gladly swop for a 3 Toyo fans if anybody wants.

i also use the big ones(the fans are individual) in which a single fan can do the same as the six in a row. Aquarium mounted sets(come with clip)retail for abt $40. Basement Sim Lim Tower- ToYo brand fans abt $15 each-mount yourself.

• SRC Member

I used PC fan twice & they burned out after 2-3weeks because I turn it on 24 hrs a day. Have been using toyo clip-fan since 1 years ago & achieved a drop of temp by 1 -2 degrees (depends how hot is the weather). Have mounted 1 add'l toyo clip-fan recently on my 3ft tank. My 1st Toyo never breakdown (touch wood) since 1 yr ago. The price is almost the same as those PC fans. I think is still worth buying those Toyo fans.

• SRC Member
Hon , most planted aquarium shops have them. very ex$ & not much use.

i have a 6 in a row - these fans in a row are small(just a little bigger than comp. processor fan).

ranges from $50 to $90 for number of fans(2fans,4fans,6fans). I would gladly swop for a 3 Toyo fans if anybody wants.

i also use the big ones(the fans are individual) in which a single fan can do the same as the six in a row. Aquarium mounted sets(come with clip)retail for abt $40. Basement Sim Lim Tower- ToYo brand fans abt $15 each-mount yourself.

I have seen those fans sold by aquarium shops have metal locking screw and nut which rust over time, and I believe it rust easier in salt spray. Please check to make sure no rust drops into your water in the tank.

By the way, Qian Hu / Yu Hu is the distributor of these fans (as well as Arcadia products), and their prices are eye-popping!

• SRC Member

Will it be more durable if opt for a AC version? I saw some hardware store selling them for 20+.

Thought AC ones can do away with those bulking transformer will be great. Of coz the fan will be away from water, even drop also won't kenna the water location lah....

• SRC Member

Hon,

I was using those AC, over-heated after 2-3 weeks. If u are going to on it for just 4-5 hrs a day, it may last longer. I'm still the big supporter for Toyo fan, cheap & good :rolleyes:

My 3ft tank has maintained temp highest at 28C & as low as 26.2C during CNY. Noticed the weather is turning hot again this few days. U need to get prepared.

• SRC Member

huh??...those fan cannot run for long ???

Then better drop the ida manz, dun wanna waste money just to turn on 4-5hrs a day.

I expecting a 18hrs run per day.

Maybe should look into those exhaust fan tat fit at the public toilet window pane....

• SRC Member

Hon,

I use the Toyo 24/7. But need to top up water everyday, at least 2 bottle of 1.25 litre bottle. 1 in the morning & 1 at nite. I always keep the bottle in the fridge. Guarantee cooling man :P IMO. I used a dripper to prevent osmosis shock.