Need som advice on maintaining calcum levels

Hi all,

Need some help here. Have a 3 month plus tank currently. Everything is going rather well and about a month back decided to monitor the calcium level in the water. Shockingly, using the mini-labor test kit, calcium level seems almost undetectable (the solution didn't turn pink but rather puplish blue after adding CA2). Anyway, after obtaining some advice, I did water change (about 20-30%) and added the AquaPharm calcium additive. So it helped and eventually, manage to bring up the calcium level to above 400ppm. Good. Meanwhile Kalk is dosed (about 2L daily) hoping to maintain both Ca and alkalinity (about 9.6KH). However, in a week's time, the calcium level dropped back to less than 200ppm. Wondering how come the calcium level in the water drop that fast? So I added the additive again bringing up to desired levels. Yesterday, measured again and Ca level is at about 100 or 100plus ppm (its not very clear from the test kit when the level drops too low) when a week back its at 408ppm. Whats causing this rapid drop in Calcium (reference LS below)? Can't possibly add in a bottle (yes a bottle) of calcium additive every week right? Or can I? From what I read, adding kalk should maintain it at the required level isn't it? Maybe more kalk should be dosed? Need some advice here. Oh, and when I tested for KH yesterday, its high - about 14.8. Is it a cause for concern?

Have a 3x2x2 tank with sump. LS include some fishes and shrimps (they don't need Ca do they), a rock of mushrooms, 2 leather corals, 2 small rocks of zoo (the above corals don't require much Ca isn't it?), a goniopora, a bubble coral, and recently bought this coral from T95 (its in their display tank too) yet to be successfully IDed - its like growing out of frags of tonga branch at the tip with luminous, transparent green (seen pinkish ones too), not too long tentacles- anyway, will try to get a pic of it. NH4-0, NO2~0, NO3-25ppm, PH-8 to 8.3, sg-1.023, temp-26.5 to 28 (using 2x 120mm fan)

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Jerry

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

Cleaner skrimp does require Ca for hardening of shell after molting

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Oh ok. Got quite a few shrimps in there. But could the rapid drop in calcium levels due to the shrimps?? I don't think likely but I could be wrong.

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements