TROY the movie

roidan

i think the producers have to work within the constraints of movie time to cut short the plot, let's say they make this a 3 part movie like LOTR, I am sure they will be able to keep to the original mythology better....

but because they decided to make it a one-off movie, they have to make sure certain parts made sense to audience that do not know the real events....and even if they included some real events in the trojan war, it would seem rather incredulous...

eg...during the trojan war, Achilles's son supposed to appear and that's not all, he took Hector's wife as his concubine?!? :blink: imagine Achilles's son and Hector's wife :blink: and this match gave rise to a son :blink:

And Achilles son's fathered a daughter who will be the mother of Alexander the Great :blink:

if all the war details are fully furnished, i bet more people will come out of the cinemas scratching their heads...hehe

Neoptolemus, also called Pyrrhus, was the only son of Achilles and grandson of Peleus. When Achilles disguised himself as a girl in the court of the king of Scyros to avoid taking part in the Trojan War, he had an affair with Deidamea, the king's daughter, who bore him the child. Twenty years later in the war, after the death of Achilles and Ajax and no signs of victory for the Greeks, the Greeks desperately captured the Trojan seer, Helenus, and forced him to tell them under what conditions could they take Troy. Helenus revealed to them that they could defeat Troy if they could achieve the poisonous arrows of Heracles (then at Philocthetes); steal the Palladium (which lead to the building of the famous wooden horse of Troy); and persuade Achilles' son to join the war. The Greeks made haste to fetch Neoptolemus at Scyros, and brought him to Troy.

Being the youngest of the Greek warriors at that time, Neoptolemus' behavior was also the most savage and cruelest among them, often being contrasted to Achilles. Among those he killed in the war were the courageous King Priam, his youngest daughter Polyxena, and Hector's son Astyanax. After the fall of Troy, he took Hector's widow, Andromache, as a concubine and sailed to the Epirot Islands with Phoenix and Helenus. He became the king of Epirus who condemned Odysseus to exile after the latter slayed the large number of suitors at his house. Neoptolemus had a son named Molossus from Andromache, and he is also said to have a daughter, Olympias, who later became the mother of Alexander the Great.

Eventually, Neoptolemus met his death either after he later robbed Hermione from her husband Orestes, or after he tried to claim satisfaction from the death of Achilles to the god who killed the hero, Apollo. In either case, Orestes murdered him in Apollo's temple at Delphi, but some say it was a Delphian cult of Apollo who killed him.

Andromache (Hector's wife)

Andromache was the daughter of Eetion, ruler of the Cilician city of Thebe; she was the wife of the Trojan hero Hector and the mother of Astyanax.

Andromache's father and brothers were killed by Achilles when he captured Thebe during the Trojan War; her mother was spared and ransomed, but died in Troy before its fall. During the seige of Troy, Achilles also killed her husband, Hector, and then desecrated his body. Andromache herself became the slave and concubine of Neoptolemus, Achilles' son, when Troy was captured; her son Astyanax was flung by the Greeks from the walls of Troy.

After the end of the Trojan War, Andromache was taken to Greece by Neoptolemus and bore him a son, Molossus, who gave his name to the Molossian people. Following Neoptolemus' death, Andromache married Helenus, one of the few surviving children of King Priam of Troy; Helenus became the ruler of the Greek region of Epirus

anyway if they made it a 3 part movie, the first part could have been the build up to the war, explain the characters in greater detail and their involvement in the build up...

2nd part is the 10 year war itself....great details in there...that could probably be stretched to the 3rd part, leaving audience wanting for more like a cliffhanger

and the 3rd part to end the war, appearance of Trojan Horse and explain the aftermath of the war, what happened to the characters

would probably be able to stick to the original tale much better to please the critics....but then again, perhaps they thought most people would not want to go through a 3 part movie like LOTR, perhaps they underesimated the wide reaching appeal of greek mythology...

Remember Zeus, Poseidon, Hercules, Jason and the Golden Fleece? All these i read when i was young, and i din know what is LOTR.. :lol:

I hope to see more Greek mythology movies....

• SRC Member

This all sounds like greek to me. ;) Troy was a great movie. Pity, tho, that they had to portray Paris like a coward (backing out of the one-to-one with Menalas) and then have him kill our hero, Achilles. Achilles in the movie sounds like he is really depressed in the movie and had suicidal tendencies, except that his so-called cousin (not according to the myth) did it first.

The scene in which Priam gets the body of Hector back from Brad is good. Peter O'Toole is definitely a good actor and very philosophical about it.

my 2 cents (or rather drachmas) worth.