want to try keeping this precious :)

Hi...all the clams pros out there... after 1 year of flowler tank, i have a reef tank and now, i am considering to keep this precious... :rolleyes: clams.. I have read lots of it and articles regarding it on SRC, RC and UR.net.so as not to buy and let them suffer. :D .After much consideration , i Think i am going to give it a try to Clams.

For that, i am going to start off with a 150watt MH light but dont know how many K should i get...i have sturctured a landscape high up on my LR's .. the measured distance from my MH to the place where the Future calms will be is 18 inches...

So my Qns is : What kind of clams should i start off with first .. basic requirement : sufficent lighting form my current 150watt MH 18inches

How many K bulb should i get ?

and what should i check first before getting clams ? EG : good water quality ..Lighting ... and what else to add on ? :nc:

LAstly.. will my current LS nip or hurt my clam.. My current LS is yellow tang , morron clown, 2 snails and 1 clearner shrimp... spotted 1 pest recently CRABS

HOPE all the clams experts and pros will adknowledge me with advices..

THANKS VEry much.. :thanks:

REgards:Edwan :peace:

Hi bro,

I dun have advise for you but I just wanted to say that by doing so much reading and research and humbly asking for more advises you already surpasses all of us.

I know of alot of people who will just buy livestocks without even knowing its name and basic husbandry. :angry:

I hope more people with follow your foot steps. ;)

Cheers,

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hey Bicycle, first of all, good details u provided there, makes it easier for us to help u along...

Erm how deep is yr tank? U mentioned a high landscape, yet the distance fr clam to light is still at 18inches, wow...Dat includes the distance of the light fr the water surface issit? Erm 150W shld be just sufficient to keep some normal to medium quality clams (maybe ultras would demand more, say a 250W)

I would suggest u start off with a medium quality Crocea, as I have bashed and battered these clams, from moving them around the tank depths every day, to dropping and squashing them, yet they still manage to grow heheh...

Also, they wont cost as much as a starter clam as some Maximas.

If they are still available, another alternative would be to buy a baby maxima at LCK110, if they still have the stocks? These guys are small and hardy, but DONT get one below 3inches, they may require feeding on top of lighting needs...

If u dont mind the yellowish coloration, a 10K bulb is good for growth and color, but if u wish for better viewing and a bluish tint, go for at least 14K bulbs (me not expert in MH so just suggesting)

As for water, u have to ensure low or zero NO3, zero phosphates, and high CA and KH, cause clams SUCK calcium fast when they grow...

As for livestock, normal turbo snails pose no problem other than toppling the clams, and your fishes should not nip at the clam either (unless u really unlucky). Watch out for small parasitic snails though, esp those cone shaped ones - when in doubt, remove...

HOPE THIS HELPS? ;)

wedgee

• SRC Member

bro i had a pt tang removed from my reef cause it recently started nipping clams. when the cams are distress i also notice my cleaner shrimp going after them. that is some thing you should take note :)

and another thing.... croceas are nt as hardy as one expects them to be. they are from shallower reefs thus need the most light of all clams and are cheap onli because they are easily collected because of being located in shallower reefs. ;)

y not try a hardy derasa or squamosa? :D they are beautiful in terms of colour patterns even though not as colourful as croceas or maximas B) i have kept derasas and squamosas under pl lights.... and still keeping them. i even kept a maxima b4 but i sold it away just like my green squamsa because even though i could sustain them under my lights.... i wan them to thrive under another reefers mh B)

well it looks like you are very well prepared for these precious clams :eyebrow: and after proper acclimitation, these precious are relatively hardy buggers which are superbly rewarding in keeping them :peace:

best of luck for keeping them!!!! :yeah::peace:

btw you could also check out clamsdirect.com

Hi,

So my Qns is : What kind of clams should i start off with first .. basic requirement : sufficent lighting form my current 150watt MH 18inches

Croceas or Squamosas for the beginners. 150w may be sufficient if you place them nearer the top of the tank for maximum lighting. Clams are found in areas where there is a lot of light.

How many K bulb should i get ?

I would say go for 6500k or 10k at least as these simulate the light intensity of shallow water. If you go for 14k and above, I suggest to increase the wattage of these bulbs as they are weaker in PAR.

and what should i check first before getting clams ? EG : good water quality ..Lighting ... and what else to add on ?  :nc:

Suitable rockscaping, no predators or peckers (such as some small angels).

LAstly.. will my current LS nip or hurt my clam.. My current LS is yellow tang , morron clown, 2 snails and 1 clearner shrimp... spotted 1 pest recently CRABS

Maroon clown you mean! :P

Sometimes LS will peck at clams but if they hound it constantly enough, they may not open and get enough light then.

• SRC Member
Hi,

Croceas or Squamosas for the beginners. 150w may be sufficient if you place them nearer the top of the tank for maximum lighting. Clams are found in areas where there is a lot of light.

I would say go for 6500k or 10k at least as these simulate the light intensity of shallow water. If you go for 14k and above, I suggest to increase the wattage of these bulbs as they are weaker in PAR.

Sometimes LS will peck at clams but if they hound it constantly enough, they may not open and get enough light then.

is that a typo or am i in someone's tank?

Hi bro,

I dun have advise for you but I just wanted to say that by doing so much reading and research and humbly asking for more advises you already surpasses all of us.

I know of alot of people who will just buy livestocks without even knowing its name and basic husbandry. :angry:

I hope more people with follow your foot steps. ;)

Cheers,

yar.... i will not want to waste much of my $$$$ and resource if i am not sure how to keep them.. Save The Reef Too.. :)

Hey Bicycle, first of all, good details u provided there, makes it easier for us to help u along...

Erm how deep is yr tank? U mentioned a high landscape, yet the distance fr clam to light is still at 18inches, wow...Dat includes the distance of the light fr the water surface issit? Erm 150W shld be just sufficient to keep some normal to medium quality clams (maybe ultras would demand more, say a 250W)

I would suggest u start off with a medium quality Crocea, as I have bashed and battered these clams, from moving them around the tank depths every day, to dropping and squashing them, yet they still manage to grow heheh...

Also, they wont cost as much as a starter clam as some Maximas.

If they are still available, another alternative would be to buy a baby maxima at LCK110, if they still have the stocks? These guys are small and hardy, but DONT get one below 3inches, they may require feeding on top of lighting needs...

If u dont mind the yellowish coloration, a 10K bulb is good for growth and color, but if u wish for better viewing and a bluish tint, go for at least 14K bulbs (me not expert in MH so just suggesting)

As for water, u have to ensure low or zero NO3, zero phosphates, and high CA and KH, cause clams SUCK calcium fast when they grow...

As for livestock, normal turbo snails pose no problem other than toppling the clams, and your fishes should not nip at the clam either (unless u really unlucky). Watch out for small parasitic snails though, esp those cone shaped ones - when in doubt, remove...

HOPE THIS HELPS? ;)

wedgee

:peace: haha...Thanks for the compliement too

Whao...good advice indeed......yar..It really helps me a lot in understanding Clams.. My tank is 1.5feet deep.. and sorry... The light source to the highest rock-scaped is 13inches... instead of 18..sorry for that..

***LOL*** you bash the Crocea up and toppling them over?? WWF haha...hmm...seems they are quiet hardy ... :rolleyes:

i may like to try off with a baby maxima or a slightly more then 3 inch Crocea.. :)will check it out at LCK110

yar i dont mind getting the 10,000 kk Bulb as i do have 4tubes of T5 antinic lights..Will these T5 blend the yellow colour of the 10,000 kk MH away ? BTW my T5 antinic is 30watt each so in all is 120watt of antinic..

As for water quality, they need less N03..that is okiee.. BUT P04 free. :blink: .???? zero P04?? OMG... now i just finish battling with Mr.Cynao and using Rowaphos to eliminate my P04... will try to bring my P04 as low as possible..

I am clear about LS that part :thanks:

Many thanks man!!! really learnt lots..

bro i had a pt tang removed from my reef cause it recently started nipping clams. when the cams are distress i also notice my cleaner shrimp going after them. that is some thing you should take note :)

and another thing.... croceas are nt as hardy as one expects them to be. they are from shallower reefs thus need the most light of all clams

y not try a hardy derasa or squamosa? :D they are beautiful in terms of colour patterns even though not as colourful as croceas or maximas B) i have kept derasas and squamosas under pl lights.... and still keeping them. i even kept a maxima b4 but i sold it away just like my green squamsa because even though i could sustain them under my lights.... i wan them to thrive under another reefers mh B)

well it looks like you are very well prepared for these precious clams :eyebrow: and after proper acclimitation, these precious are relatively hardy buggers which are superbly rewarding in keeping them :peace:

best of luck for keeping them!!!! :yeah::peace:

btw you could also check out clamsdirect.com

Hi...bubble gum...THANKS for your reply and advice 2...

Okiee..will make sure none of my LS harm my Clam if not :evil::evil::angry:

Is it true that croceas need the most light of all the clam ?

ohh...you are too a resposible reefer too...want your clam to enjoy under MH.. :D:) ohh..so you mean derasa and squamosa are more hardy than croceas?

Yes..of course i am well prepare ...Must know and understand well enough for clams before getting 1 .. Musnt make it suffer.. :) haha,....superbly rewarding ..

THANKS :bubble_gum for the great advice and nice words :lol: and of course the WEBBY ... THANKS MAN!!! appreacite it :thanks:

Hi,

HI AT , THANSK for answering all my question ..

Ohh .so if the lighting K is smaller, the PAR is stronger issit ? okiee..if so..i will not consider the 14,000kk bulb.. as i have T5 antinic to blend the colour..hope it can blend to a soothing pleassure for my eyes :lol:

ohh...hope my rock-scapped is high and good enough...But must moniter my Clams propely of not..when water evaporate...will dried ..arhh ;) ....i will not be keeping angels..and peakers..must depend on my luck.. :D

OMG sorry...typo error... <<i am not scolding anyone >> sorry ....got mixed up... :paiseh::paiseh:

will not let my LS pester my clams..

MANY thanks boss... :peace::thanks:

:peace: haha...Thanks for the compliement too

Whao...good advice indeed......yar..It really helps me a lot in understanding Clams.. My tank is 1.5feet deep.. and sorry... The light source to the highest rock-scaped is 13inches... instead of 18..sorry for that..

***LOL*** you bash the Crocea up and toppling them over?? WWF haha...hmm...seems they are quiet hardy ... :rolleyes:

i may like to try off with a baby maxima or a slightly more then 3 inch Crocea.. :)will check it out at LCK110

yar i dont mind getting the 10,000 kk Bulb as i do have 4tubes of T5 antinic lights..Will these T5 blend the yellow colour of the 10,000 kk MH away ? BTW my T5 antinic is 30watt each so in all is 120watt of antinic..

As for water quality, they need less N03..that is okiee.. BUT P04 free. :blink: .???? zero P04?? OMG... now i just finish battling with Mr.Cynao and using Rowaphos to eliminate my P04... will try to bring my P04 as low as possible..

I am clear about LS that part :thanks:

EH FYI......... crocea are the most difficult clams species to keep... Firstly they are rock boring clams, thus during collection, their byssal is always injured by accidental thus when the croceas arrive, they may look fine but after a while the crocea will die......Anyway byssal damage do not cause the clam to die immediately but it is a;ways due to infection that cause the clam death..... Therefore if you really want to have crocea, but those that come attach with a small piece of rock........ Next corcea are tough to keep because they love to exhibit their mantle so much, FYI crocea mantle are one of the widest when open thus they are very prone to being attack by predators or being damage by human. And finally, crocea are shallow water clams thus the light for them must be very strong(for me, i provide my clam with 400watt of light)... With so, all this factor make corcea very tought to keep........

Fpr beginner, if you have a large tank, go for derasa or squamosa, they are by far one of the toughest clams...... Being tolerant of low light intensity(some ppl keep them under Pl).... But the bad point is sqaumosa and derasa seldom come in nice colours.. mainly brown or gold.....

Anyway the most sought after clam species is maxima... Coloured ones like crocea demand lots of light to be nice in color but IMO thwey are hardier than crocea........ ;););)

Me no expert but just my 2cents

Oh yah not to mention..... clam are very delicate creature thus very prone to attack from predator....... Some things like pyramid snail and aiptasia(not predator but has powerful sting that may harm clams)

EH FYI......... crocea are the most difficult clams species to keep... Firstly they are rock boring clams, thus during collection, their byssal is always injured by accidental thus when the croceas arrive, they may look fine but after a while the crocea will die......Anyway byssal damage do not cause the clam to die immediately but it is a;ways due to infection that cause the clam death..... Therefore if you really want to have crocea, but those that come attach with a small piece of rock........ Next corcea are tough to keep because they love to exhibit their mantle so much, FYI crocea mantle are one of the widest when open thus they are very prone to being attack by predators or being damage by human. And finally, crocea are shallow water clams thus the light for them must be very strong(for me, i provide my clam with 400watt of light)... With so, all this factor make corcea very tought to keep........

Fpr beginner, if you have a large tank, go for derasa or squamosa, they are by far one of the toughest clams...... Being tolerant of low light intensity(some ppl keep them under Pl).... But the bad point is sqaumosa and derasa seldom come in nice colours.. mainly brown or gold.....

Anyway the most sought after clam species is maxima... Coloured ones like crocea demand lots of light to be nice in color but IMO thwey are hardier than crocea........ ;););)

ohh..But why not i just get a 150 watt and latter if there is a need , i can upgrade the control gear and the gear box as well as the bulb right... becouse i am very tight on budget now..and getting my 150watt at $100+ .. I guese if i get a 250 watt , it will cost double...am i right to say that ? :thanks:

o..but i need to buy the 250watt bulb together with a gear box which is suitibale for my 250watt right..i cant use a 150watt gear box to power a 250watt bulb... so if i buy the 250watt gear box together with the bulb, it will cost double the price of a 150watt gear box with bulb.... Am i right to say this .or is it only a bit more..if a bit more, i dont mind getting the 250watt... THANKS and sorry for being confussed in this part,. :thanks:

oo...understand le... so nothing have both adventage larh :D either hardy but the colour is not very pleasing and bright...or the colouration is very nice but is not as hardy..am i right to say that...? so the best is to get good lights ..haha..that must wait :) so..since that is the case, i may like to try out the hardiest clam first which is derasa ..big they come in odd shape ..i mean big... :( ..anyway will grt more info on them first before buying.. :thanks: D_A :bow: